What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

November 28th, 2018 at 1:55:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The Russian Mob involvement was not as players. Most of her players appreciated having bicoastal
big money games that did not have thugs as available muscle. Russian mob involvement was
solely to muscle in on her to force her to expand her east coast operations and to severely downgrade
them so the mob could charge her rent and for security and collection services.
When she was slow to agree, she had to make a plastic surgeon even richer.
November 28th, 2018 at 4:53:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: odiousgambit
Warning: this post is about old movies

Finally watched in full the 1935 movie "Crime and Punishment" with Peter Lorre as Raskolnikov. Very good, though as already warned, you have to like old movies. I also have no idea how good any other versions were.

I think his best role was as the Kindermorter in "M".

University degrees have probably been over hyped ever since there were universities.
November 29th, 2018 at 6:14:23 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
I think his best role was as the Kindermorter in "M".
He plays a creep really well, though he is also good at any character that is eccentric. IIRC the director of Crime & P. said later Lorre was miscast as Raskolnikov, and he had a point. But Lorre was instrumental in getting the movie produced.

Quote:
University degrees have probably been over hyped ever since there were universities.
It's a constant problem, more due to supply and demand than anything. If the economy sags at the time of one's graduation it's a bad thing, and if it is a third world country, well, you can see how many doctors from India want to come here. A lot come from Africa now they tell me. I can imagine there are plenty of times in Russia when supply exceeded demand too. Apparently Dostoevsky was familiar with a disgruntled batch of young intellectuals in St. Petersburg when he wrote this.

As you can tell, the movie had an effect on me, I keep thinking about it - I want to read the book again. Anybody who has allowed radical thinking to enter his thoughts due to disappointments might get some similar effect from the book or the movie too? YMMV always applies.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 29th, 2018 at 7:55:52 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Its not just universities: look at how many high school teachers had tenure and continued teaching mechanical drawing for years after AutoCAD
made draftsmen go from 25.00 an hour to 'a dime a dozen'.
Decades of typing teachers did very little, then along came the chat rooms and kids learned to type overnight.
November 29th, 2018 at 8:04:50 AM permalink
Fleastiff
movies such as slackers, trainspotting reflect real life. Recall Stella Does Tricks wherein a girl who wants to sell donuts in a shop has to have six months training.
December 2nd, 2018 at 8:27:41 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Saw "To Russia with Love" on Prime, 1963. Note the following dialogue. (From memory so not quoted exactly)

Bond (to hot Russian spy): "You are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen."
Hot Russian Spy: "Thanks but I think my mouth is too big."
Bond: "No, it's the right size, for me that is"

How did they get away with this? This was 1963, a time known for prudish censors. There were no "G" and "R" ratings. All movies were expected to be acceptable to all audiences. Playboy had not yet shown a single pubic hair. Rob and Laura Petrie slept in twin beds and could not use the word "pregnant". I know the standards for movies were different from TV, but I have to think that the topic above was taboo enough to alarm the censors.

In 1963 I was a slobbering little toddler but my parents would have been the target demographic for this movie. I don't think my mother or father would get the drift of this exchange even now and If you explained it to them they would find it in poor taste (so to speak). My theory is that they got away with it because for most, it went right over their head. (so to speak).
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 2nd, 2018 at 8:29:36 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: JimRockford
Saw "To Russia with Love" on Prime, 1963. Note the following dialogue. (From memory so not quoted exactly)

How did they get away with this? This was 1963, a time known for prudish censors. There were no "G" and "R" ratings. All movies were expected to be acceptable to all audiences. Playboy had not yet shown a single pubic hair. Rob and Laura Petrie slept in twin beds and could not use the word "pregnant". I know the standards for movies were different from TV, but I have to think that the topic above was taboo enough to alarm the censors.

In 1963 I was a slobbering little toddler but my parents would have been the target demographic for this movie. I don't think my mother or father would get the drift of this exchange even now and If you explained it to them they would find it in poor taste (so to speak). My theory is that they got away with it because for most, it went right over their head. (so to speak).

My parents let me watch the Exorcist when I was 6
December 2nd, 2018 at 8:30:40 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Just watched this last night on Netflix - better than I expected - worth a watch

December 2nd, 2018 at 9:15:29 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

That was only a couple of years before the Stones released "I can't get no satisfaction". Censors hated that song and it had lines changed various times for different venues. Jagger has commented that the censors missed the meaning of what he considered the most sexuality explicit line "baby baby come back next week you see I'm on a losing streak". Lots of British shows were loaded with double entendre in that era (think of all the "Carry-On" movies) so likely your line was considered okay in Britain.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 2nd, 2018 at 10:27:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
How did they get away with this?

I thought a character named Pussy Galore was pretty bold.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?