What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 3rd, 2018 at 10:01:39 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: JimRockford
That's happened to me, but since I'm faithful to my wife I'm better off having missed it.
Me to, I'm talking 40 years ago.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 3rd, 2018 at 10:07:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin

James Bond: "I always enjoyed learning a new tongue." Moneypenny: "You always were a cunning linguist, James."

That is my favorite of the Pierce Brosnan movies and I never caught that before -- thanks Paco!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 3rd, 2018 at 11:12:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
That is my favorite of the Pierce Brosnan movies and I never caught that before -- thanks Paco!

The word entered the English language in 1884, but the act was well known for along time before 1962.
December 3rd, 2018 at 11:41:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Evenbob
Because it was 1963 and was meant
as an innocent remark, not a sexual
reference.

I have to disagree there. After Pussy introduced herself, JB said something like "I must be dreaming," with a goofy look on his face.

What?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 3rd, 2018 at 11:44:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
Seriously though, there is a great premise, but it has already been re-done a number of times since then: “Hunger Games”, “Divergent”, “Maze Runner”, and even “X-men” all have dystopian visions of the future where youth rebel against the establishment to survive. It’s not fresh anymore.

One of the worst miscalculations was "The Island" in 2005 which had a bigger budget than the Star Wars film that year. It fits into a genre called a "Sci-Fi Chase movie" and the backstory about cloning for replacement organs was so well known, it had virtually no shock value.

December 4th, 2018 at 4:15:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
reference.

I have to disagree there. After Pussy introduced herself, JB said something like "I must be dreaming," with a goofy look on his face.

What?

if you aren't someone is not paying attention to where he is in a thread, he can reply by quoting and not notice that *what he is quoting* does not appear due to some quirks in the system. If what you are quoting is not immediately above in a previous post due to things having moved along, it is a mystery. In this case I thought Jim failed to realize this [I stand corrected] and I think Bob is enjoying playing dumb.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 4th, 2018 at 6:48:25 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
One of the worst miscalculations was "The Island" in 2005 which had a bigger budget than the Star Wars film that year. It fits into a genre called a "Sci-Fi Chase movie" and the backstory about cloning for replacement organs was so well known, it had virtually no shock value.

I liked The Island.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 4th, 2018 at 7:38:11 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: odiousgambit
reference.

What?

if you aren't paying attention to where you are in a thread, you can reply by quoting and not notice that *what you are quoting* does not appear due to some quirks in the system. If what you are quoting is not immediately above in a previous post due to thins having moved along, it is a mystery. In this case Jim has failed to realize this and I think Bob is enjoying playing dumb.

I don't believe I have failed to realize anything and my question was clear from the first time I asked it
http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/564/285/#post112671

If EB doesn't see the need to clarify, it really doesn't matter.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 4th, 2018 at 9:13:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154

I don't believe I have failed to realize anything
now I have insulted you! unintended

however, I think my post possibly explains it, although I don't know how easy this attempt to clear it up was to read. I have edited it to make it less insulting to Jim maybe

I'm not going back to search for what Bob was quoting in the first place, though
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 4th, 2018 at 9:41:24 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: odiousgambit
now I have insulted you! unintended

No insult taken. As I said it doesn't matter.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.