What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 12th, 2018 at 9:23:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: beachbumbabs
That's a Rell of a typo.

Too much reliance on a spell checker. I wonder if a grammar checker would have flagged it? It's not grammatically incorrect.
December 12th, 2018 at 9:37:00 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
"Second Act" stars Jennifer Lopez as, no surprise, a salt of the earth assistant store manager at the cinematic equivalent of Sam's Club, who lands "consultant" position with a giant consumer products company. She is determined to prove her "street smarts" (she didn't graduate from High School, but has her GED) are just as valuable as a college degree. The plot takes some huge twists and "surprise" telenovela reveals, which push it to the edge of believability. The "empowered woman" theme clearly targets this film at a certain demographic, and admittedly, it is successful in entertaining them. Tears were shed in the theater as characters confessed to one another, and truths were revealed...

But you have seen this story many times before. The heroine, from humble roots, suddenly gets her "wish" to live like the 1%. However, this opportunity comes at the cost of having to go through great machinations to keep her true origin hidden from her new "peers".

The "Cinderella" story has even been done a couple of times by Ms. Lopez already. Remember "Maid in Manhattan"?

In any case, Jennifer Lopez's performance is likeable. She plays herself, so it is no surprise when her tops are uncomfortably revealing, and her heels are ridiculously high. There's even a couple of "Mamma Mia" dance numbers thrown in.

Leah Remini (formerly of the CBS sitcom "King of Queens", and current anti-Scientology lightning rod) steals the show with a non-stop stream of witty wisecracks. It is clear that not all of them were scripted, which makes it a lot of fun.

If you are a fan of the feel good, tribe of women empowering each other while finding love and dealing with family and career storyline, this is a film for you. If not, the 1:45 running time feels like 2:15.

I give it 6 doves out of 10.

December 12th, 2018 at 9:50:05 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Ayecarumba

Leah Remini (formerly of the CBS sitcom "King of Queens", and current anti-Scientology lightning rod) steals the show with a non-stop stream of witty wisecracks. It is clear that not all of them were scripted, which makes it a lot of fun.

Leah Remini is my hero
Go Leah
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 12th, 2018 at 10:27:54 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
The "Cinderella" story has even been done a couple of times by Ms. Lopez already. Remember "Maid in Manhattan"?

It's simple finance. Look at her five biggest films according to worldwide gross. Maid in Manhattan made the most money from worldwide revenue and is the story she can most easily repeat without having to pay for expensive costars.

Ice Age: Continental Drift-animated
Ice Age: Collision Course-animated
Home (2015)-animated
Shall We Dance (Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon, Stanley Tucci)
Maid in Manhattan (Ralph Fiennes, Stanley Tucci)

Costars for "Second Act" include: Vanessa Hudgens, Treat Williams, Milo Ventimiglia, Charlyne Yi

As of June 2018, JLo's net worth is $380 million according to Celebrity Net Worth — and rising. She did not make that kind of money from movie salaries. She makes it from selling a lifestyle brand based on her ability to propel "Jenny from the Block" to the upper reaches of wealth.

Celebrity Net Worth
Vanessa Hudgens ($14 million), Treat Williams ($10 million), Milo Ventimiglia ($12 million), Charlyne Yi ($1 million) new costars
Richard Gere ($100 million), Susan Sarandon ($50 million), Ralph Fiennes ($30 million), Stanley Tucci ($25 million) old costars

December 15th, 2018 at 10:48:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I've seen Amy Shumer here and there,
don't like her much. Never seen her in
anything, so watched Trainwreck last
night. Good god is she repulsive, I didn't
even make it to the end. She's not attractive,
not funny, and can't act worth a damn.
I was actually physically repulsed by
her, which isn't an easy thing to achieve.
Yuck..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 15th, 2018 at 10:55:41 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
I've seem Amy Shumer here and there,
don't like her much. Never seen her in
anything, so watched Trainwreck last
night. Good god is she repulsive, I didn't
even make it to the end. She's not attractive,
not funny, and can't act worth a damn.
I was actually physically repulsed by
her, which isn't an easy thing to achieve.
Yuck..

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2018/12/13/amy-schumer-promises-to-stop-trying-to-look-super-fckable/
December 15th, 2018 at 11:03:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2018/12/13/amy-schumer-promises-to-stop-trying-to-look-super-fckable/

Good god, that's how she thinks she
looks? That guys want sex with her?
I heard she was pregnant and was
amazed she actually found somebody
to have sex with, what a loser that guy
must be.. lol
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 15th, 2018 at 11:11:21 AM permalink
terapined

Posting a link from a right wing web site that hates anybody on the left with no personal remark from you
why?
Its pointless
I'm not going to click on that junk. How about a movie review or actually participating in a discussion
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 15th, 2018 at 11:15:04 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: terapined
Posting a link from a right wing web site that hates anybody on the left with no personal remark from you
why?
Its pointless
I'm not going to click on that junk. How about a movie review.

Then don't click on it
December 15th, 2018 at 11:16:55 AM permalink
terapined
Then don't click on it

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Check the thread title :-)