What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

January 11th, 2019 at 7:10:24 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: aceofspades
I just watched The Cabin in the Woods

Somehow this movie has a 91% rating on Rotten Tomatoes -- as of this moment, it is #2 on my all time worst movies list
The top honor going to Paul Blart 2

The Cabin in the Woods was nonsensical and not even one of those movies where it is so bad it is good - it is just bad

I liked it a lot
Especially since its kind think outside the box horror movie writing
It went where I was not expecting it to go
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 11th, 2019 at 7:12:05 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: terapined

Somehow this movie has a 91% rating on Rotten Tomatoes -- as of this moment, it is #2 on my all time worst movies list
The top honor going to Paul Blart 2

The Cabin in the Woods was nonsensical and not even one of those movies where it is so bad it is good - it is just bad

I liked it a lot
Especially since its kind think outside the box horror movie writing
It went where I was not expecting it to go

I wished it would have gone somewhere else lol

BRB have to wash my eyes out with bleach after watching that dreck
January 11th, 2019 at 7:56:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I made it 20 min before I turned it
off. The acting was awful and dialog
confusing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 11th, 2019 at 8:09:58 PM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Evenbob

I made it 20 min before I turned it
off. The acting was awful and dialog
confusing.

I almost turned it off about that time as well but friends had told me it's a great movie so I plowed through it thinking it would get better
January 12th, 2019 at 4:05:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I almost turned it off about that time as well but friends had told me it's a great movie so I plowed through it thinking it would get better

Joss Whedon Fanboy picture.

Filming took place in Vancouver, British Columbia from March to May 2009 on an estimated budget of $30 million three years before its release. The film was originally slated for release on February 5, 2010, by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and United Artists, but was indefinitely shelved due to financial difficulties. In 2011, Lionsgate picked up the distribution rights. The film was released in the United States on 13 April, 2012, only weeks before the 4 May, 2012 release of the Avengers.Joss Whedon also directed The Avengers.

Basically, they were lucky to get Chris Hemsworth before he signed a 7 picture deal to play Thor in the Marvel movies.
January 12th, 2019 at 5:45:02 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Pacomartin
Basically, they were lucky to get Chris Hemsworth before he signed a 7 picture deal to play Thor in the Marvel movies.

Drew Goddard, co-writer and Director of Cabin in the Woods also wrote and directed last fall’s Bad Times at the El Royale. It was a box office disappointment, but I suspect it will gain a following as time goes on and people discover it.

Chris Hemsworth is also in Bad Times at the El Royale, so he must have enjoyed his experience on Cabin in the Woods.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 12th, 2019 at 11:22:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Finally saw The Mexican, 2001. It was an entertaining
film, except Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt had zero
chemistry on the screen. Luckily for 80% of the
movie they were apart.

Biggest mistake, they killed off the most interesting
character, James Gandolfini as a Gay hit man,
halfway through the movie. They took a lot of time
building a bonding relationship between him and
the Roberts character, then BLAM, they kill him
with no warning or fanfare. Stupid.

Great cast, JK Simmons, Bob Balaban (does he ever
play a good guy),and Gene Hackman at the end.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 13th, 2019 at 5:47:04 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: ams288
Drew Goddard, co-writer and Director of Cabin in the Woods also wrote and directed last fall’s Bad Times at the El Royale. It was a box office disappointment, but I suspect it will gain a following as time goes on and people discover it.

Chris Hemsworth is also in Bad Times at the El Royale, so he must have enjoyed his experience on Cabin in the Woods.

Bad Times at the El Royale was in my queue but, now that I know this...not sure
January 13th, 2019 at 6:14:10 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
BRB have to wash my eyes out with bleach after watching that dreck

Rotten Tomatoes counted 248 positive reviews to 24 negatives ones.

I liked the movie myself, but I enjoy movies that make fun of the horror genre in inventive ways. I loved "Shaun of the Dead".
Quote: Rex Reed • 04/10/12 |The Cabin in the Woods Is a Pixelated Nightmare
Real-life horror story-cum-video game has narrative glitches, needs to be unplugged

On the advice of a friend who described The Cabin in the Woods as the next cinematic “happening” in horror and mayhem, I bit the bullet and suffered through a creepfest so stupid it makes trashy slash-and-burn epics like Humans Versus Zombies and I Spit on Your Grave seem like Molière and Proust. Some films have to seek their own audience like oil seeks its own level in water. Others arrive with a preordained sort of word-of-mouth anticipation that cannot be explained. This is one of them.

A testament to the wonders of writing under the guidance of crystal meth, this nightmare spoof of everything from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre to the Scream franchise totally defies logic, and pretty much eludes description.

The movie made $66 million box office worldwide, which barely covered it's $30 million budget. That is about 5 million tickets sales in USA and Canada. So it was not a popular movie. But it probably sold very well in the aftermarket (DVD, streaming, etc).

The number #1 rule of parody movies is that you should make them with modest production budgets because most people hate parodies. One of the biggest offenders was "Last Action Hero" Release Date: June 18, 1993 with a Production Budget of $85 million
January 13th, 2019 at 10:17:03 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Is Cabin in the Woods where Hemsworth throws his girlfriend in the lake in one scene. If so, seems like I watched that like a B movie. Which means I wasn't expecting much and didn't feel disappointed.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?