What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

February 4th, 2019 at 11:24:00 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: ams288
It was nominated for the Golden Globes as a Comedy. The Golden Globes are a joke.

But I agree The Martian is very good.

The Golden Globes are run by the Hollywood Foreign Press -- it is a tiny group of reporters - basically a way for them to hobnob with celebrities and accept bribes (allegedly)

February 4th, 2019 at 11:07:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Watched Lucy again. I like the premise,
though the story of being chased by
the Chinese till the very end is silly.
She can see into the future and would
have killed them immediately. But
then you have no antagonist to
drive the story.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 5th, 2019 at 1:43:09 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
It was funny? I don't remember laughing once. Like most movies it had some comedy relief, how does that make it
make it Dumb and Dumber or Road
to Bali..

When Director of "The Martian" Ridley Scott came on stage to accept the award for Best Motion Picture, Musical or comedy he openly laughed at the award category. The Golden Globes will usually give this award to an outright musical if one existed, but for Comedy they tend to go for basically dramatic films with a little comic relief. "The Hangover" was the rare exception which was a pure comedy film.

MUSICALS
Film Director Producer
2001 Moulin Rouge! * Baz Luhrmann Fred Baron, Martin Brown, & Baz Luhrmann
2002 Chicago † Rob Marshall Meryl Poster, Martin Richards, Bob Weinstein, Harvey Weinstein, & Craig Zadan
2005 Walk the Line James Mangold James Keach & Cathy Konrad
2006 Dreamgirls Bill Condon Laurence Mark
2007 Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street Tim Burton John Logan, Laurie MacDonald, Walter F. Parkes, & Richard D. Zanuck
2011 The Artist Michel Hazanavicius Thomas Langmann
2012 Les Misérables * Tom Hooper Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward, and Cameron Mackintosh
2016 La La Land * Damien Chazelle Fred Berger, Gary Gilbert, Jordan Horowitz, and Marc Platt

COMEDY
Film Director Producer
2000 Almost Famous Cameron Crowe Ian Bryce & Cameron Crowe
2003 Lost in Translation * Sofia Coppola Sofia Coppola & Ross Katz
2004 Sideways * Alexander Payne Michael London
2008 Vicky Cristina Barcelona Woody Allen Letty Aronson, Jaume Roures, Stephen Tenenbaum, & Gareth Wiley
2009 The Hangover Todd Phillips Daniel Goldberg & Todd Phillips
2010 The Kids Are All Right * Lisa Cholodenko Jeff Levy-Hinte, Gary Gilbert, Jordan Horowitz, Celine Rattray, Daniela Taplin Lundberg
2013 American Hustle * David O. Russell Charles Roven, Megan Ellison, Richard Suckle, and Jonathan Gordon
2014 The Grand Budapest Hotel * Wes Anderson Wes Anderson, Jeremy Dawson, Steven M. Rales, and Scott Rudin
2015 The Martian * Ridley Scott Simon Kinberg, Ridley Scott, Michael Schaefer, Aditya Sood, and Mark Huffam
2017 Lady Bird * Greta Gerwig Scott Rudin, Evelyn O'Neil, and Eli Bush
2018 Green Book * Peter Farrelly Jim Burke, Charles B. Wessler, Brian Hayes Currie, Peter Farrelly, and Nick Vallelonga
February 5th, 2019 at 9:48:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
The Commuter, awful. The story is impossible
to make sense of, it's so convoluted. The
whole thing was filmed on a train movie
set, with actors I've never seen. The
guy who plays Mike on Saul gets killed
in the third scene he's in.

Then you have a 60 year old Liam Neeson
getting the living crap kicked out of him
three times and not a scratch on him. Any
one of the blows he got would put him
in the hospital for a month.

Towards the end he gets stabbed,
and shot in the foot and it doesn't even
slow him down. The medics just patch
him up on the spot and send him home
with his wife. Ridiculous beyond belief.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 6th, 2019 at 2:34:23 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Just saw The Favourite. This is the kind of movie that maybe I should like, but didn't. I found it to be rather boring, too long, and overly artistic. To be honest, I was attracted to see the movie after I heard there were some graphic lesbian scenes, but what few there were were very veiled in whatever happened. The movie was basically a two-hour cat fight over Queen Anne between her chambermaids. I will say that I learned a bit of history from it though.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 6th, 2019 at 4:54:00 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Wizard
Just saw The Favourite. This is the kind of movie that maybe I should like, but didn't. I found it to be rather boring, too long, and overly artistic. To be honest, I was attracted to see the movie after I heard there were some graphic lesbian scenes, but what few there were were very veiled in whatever happened. The movie was basically a two-hour cat fight over Queen Anne between her chambermaids. I will say that I learned a bit of history from it though.

I loved The Favourite. Way more than I expected to. Thought it was very funny and loved the performances. The only things I didn't like were the over-the-top camera work and the pretentious ending.

I had no idea about the lesbian stuff before I saw it.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 6th, 2019 at 5:48:55 AM permalink
aceofspades

I loved The Favourite. Way more than I expected to. Thought it was very funny and loved the performances. The only things I didn't like were the over-the-top camera work and the pretentious ending.

I had no idea about the lesbian stuff before I saw it.

Can you expand on the over-the-top camera work comment? When I hear that I think of shaky or fast-movements which would probably get me seasick and nobody wants that
February 6th, 2019 at 5:54:42 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: aceofspades
Can you expand on the over-the-top camera work comment? When I hear that I think of shaky or fast-movements which would probably get me seasick and nobody wants that

Not shaky. I hate shaky cam. Just lots random wide angles and the overuse of fish-eye lenses (see the pictures below) which is so distracting.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 6th, 2019 at 6:20:11 AM permalink
aceofspades
Not shaky. I hate shaky cam. Just lots random wide angles and the overuse of fish-eye lenses (see the pictures below) which is so distracting.

Yeah I am not a fan of fish-eye lenses - will skip this
February 6th, 2019 at 10:30:30 AM permalink
Evenbob
Just saw The Favourite.

A bunch of actors in wigs. If you could
go back in time to that scene, the smell
would have knocked you over. People
who seldom bathed, in stinky clothes
and really smelly wigs. They didn't
notice because they all smelled the
same. Bad.