What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

February 6th, 2019 at 2:10:48 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
It's what Michael Douglas had, from oral sex.

"You likely think of cervical cancer when you hear about the rising incidence of human papilloma virus (HPV). So you might be surprised to learn that this sexually-transmitted virus is also a leading cause of throat cancer (oropharyngeal cancer), and it spreads from person to person via oral sex."

Phil Spector reportedly has throat tumors caused by HPV. But he's been in prison for nearly 20 years. I wonder how that happened?
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 6th, 2019 at 4:03:38 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
I would think in winter the subway
would be a warm mobile hotel to
them. I know you love NYC, but
it would take some serious money
given to me before I would live
there. Probably not even then, I
like living in the country in MI too
much.

I do not love nor do I live in NYC - I commute there from the suburbs
February 7th, 2019 at 11:15:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I think What Women Want might be the
best rom/com. Saw it for the 3rd time
and I always enjoy it. Smart, funny,
good story, and it has Sinatra or
his music all thru it. Mel Gibson
and Helen Hunt have perfect
chemistry, I'll watch anything
either of them are in. If this movie
has flaws, I don't see any.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 8th, 2019 at 12:11:28 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: JimRockford
Phil Spector reportedly has throat tumors caused by HPV. But he's been in prison for nearly 20 years. I wonder how that happened?
It is similar to how a person can carry the shingles virus with them since childhood and it not break out until later in life.

Throat cancer can be either HPV positive or negative. Jamie Dimon of JP Morgan bank, also had throat cancer and I believe his, as well as Michael Douglass cancer was HPV positive. I'm told of the two, the HPV positive is the easier of the two to cure.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 8th, 2019 at 9:34:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I will say that I learned a bit of history from it though.

Queen Anne's war is a little-studied part of American history. The Siege of Port Royal that resulted in the Cajun's of Louisiana is the best known part of the war basically because of Longfellow's poem, Evangeline published over a century after the fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Port_Royal_(1710)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Anne%27s_War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangeline

In some way's Queen Anne's War (which was the American portion of the War of the Spanish Succession) was first world war. Napoleon's war was the second world war, and WWI and WWII are really the third and fourth world wars.
February 9th, 2019 at 11:46:50 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
In some way's Queen Anne's War (which was the American portion of the War of the Spanish Succession) was first world war. Napoleon's war was the second world war, and WWI and WWII are really the third and fourth world wars.
You need to work the 7 Years' War in there, that definitely has advocates for being the real first world war.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 9th, 2019 at 1:45:20 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Did I ever mention I'm a big Emmylou Harris fan?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 9th, 2019 at 1:47:23 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Wizard
Did I ever mention I'm a big Emmylou Harris fan?

Nice - a friend of mine (who I've since lost touch with) was her bass player and backup vocalist for years (Wrecking Ball era)
February 9th, 2019 at 2:08:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Queen Anne was married at age 18.5 to a second cousin she had never met. But he remained faithful although they lost 16 children by miscarriage, stillborn, or death in infancy. Her only son who lived to age 11 died when she was age 35.3

At this time her brother in law was still the monarch, but he was also rumored to be gay. With no prospect of children, Parliament wrote an Act that said the next person in the line would be a distant cousin who lived in present-day Germany. At age 37.1 Anne succeeded her brother in law as Queen, and at age 43.7 she was widowed.

Anne lived for 5.8 years after she was widowed. Certainly, she was said to be a lesbian during these final years, but stories of homosexuality was a very common rumor regarding British monarchs.
February 9th, 2019 at 5:32:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
. Certainly, she was said to be a lesbian during these final years, but stories of homosexuality was a very common rumor regarding British monarchs.

With the lack of personal hygiene in
those days, being a Lesbian couldn't
have been much fun. Do a lot of practice
holding your breath..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.