What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

February 22nd, 2019 at 6:35:56 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Ayecarumba
It’s interesting to me that #12 “Little Big Man” is so high on the list. Maybe it’s the halo from “Midnight Cowboy”, or a general interest in westerns at the time, but that wasn’t a very good film.

I liked Little Big Man a lot. It was kind of ground breaking in how it portrayed Indians. I actually saw it on a school class field trip. I am not so much a fan of Midnight Cowboy. I just never liked either main character.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 22nd, 2019 at 7:36:26 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
I liked Little Big Man a lot. It was kind of ground breaking in how it portrayed Indians. I actually saw it on a school class field trip. I am not so much a fan of Midnight Cowboy. I just never liked either main character.

I also liked Little Big Man. A lot more than some of the others that sold more tickets.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 22nd, 2019 at 7:58:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
have seen a surprising number of Dustin Hoffman's films,

He'll be 82 this year. Jack Nickolson
also. Sean Connery will be 89. Their
careers have been over for awhile
now. Jack hasn't been in a movie
since 2010, Sean since 2003.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 22nd, 2019 at 8:32:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I also liked "Little Big Man", but I hesitate to weigh in on whether it's held up as it's been a long time since I last saw it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 22nd, 2019 at 8:39:26 PM permalink
rxwine
I wanted to see Midnight Cowboy as it was one of the rare films rated "X" at one time. I really don't remember either liking it or not liking it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 23rd, 2019 at 6:29:12 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: JimRockford
Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio
He might have turned into a walrus, according to the Beatles. Except the Beatles song came before the Simon and Garfunkel song. Then again Dimaggio came before both
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 23rd, 2019 at 6:37:49 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
In 'the Graduate 'I liked the scene where some smartass tells the graduate "one word: plastics!"

Ironically, he was right in a way, but the information is useless to someone looking to start his career as opposed to being someone ready to find something to invest in. Even if he was the latter, it would have not been easy to make use of it. So if you see the irony it comes across as wry humor.

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 23rd, 2019 at 10:23:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
Ironically, he was right in a way, but the information is useless to someone looking to start his career ]

It was meant to be humorous. There is
always some blowhard at one of those
events that thinks he has the wisdom
of the ages for a new grad. He could
have said 'real estate', or 'transistors',
it' would have had the same effect.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 23rd, 2019 at 5:14:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
It was meant to be humorous.

Bakelite, the first fully synthetic thermoset, was already 60 years old by the time this movie came out, and plastics were widespread for decades post WWII.

If the guy had said computers in 1967 that would have been a revolutionary vision.
February 23rd, 2019 at 5:58:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Pacomartin
Bakelite, the first fully synthetic thermoset, was already 60 years old by the time this movie came out, and plastics were widespread for decades post WWII.

If the guy had said computers in 1967 that would have been a revolutionary vision.

Quite a bit of innovation in plastic since the 60s. Gasoline was still in metal, ketchup was in glass. Sealing containers were usually cruder. I think our vacuum in the 60s was all metal. I don't think I ever saw usable plastic shelves at that time.