What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

March 27th, 2019 at 3:23:26 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I didn't know this till last night, local theater does not use film anymore, and saw the below claim by searching this morning, which also provided the image

Quote: google search
... film projection is a thing of past now. Not only in US, but in most of the countries around the world, the projection system has gone digital with the age. Nowadays, most of the theatre chains use digital projectors and movies are distributed to them in magnetic hard drives.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=do+theaters+still+use+film

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 27th, 2019 at 7:11:47 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
I didn't know this till last night, local theater does not use film anymore, and saw the below claim by searching this morning, which also provided the image

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=do+theaters+still+use+film

The theatres that I occasionally work at in the area all receive the movies via download. It takes about as long to download the movie as it does to play it if they don't have fibre internet.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 27th, 2019 at 8:48:15 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
yes, apparently the manager of our local theater said they download it. It wasn't me who talked to him, but the person who did passed it on, and that's what tipped me off.

I knew digital projectors were "a thing" because of the "opera in HD" live broadcasts, but thought the regular movies were film. Maybe this is old news to most of you.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 27th, 2019 at 8:49:26 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I watched CREED II last night
Basically a rehash of Rocky IV
Had some good moments but, overall, meh
March 27th, 2019 at 9:49:48 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I didn't know this till last night, local theater does not use film anymore,

This killed a lot of drive-in's a few
years ago. The cost to convert
to digital was over $100K so many
just sold the land to developers
instead.

Saw a story where a small town
loved their drive-in so much they
did a fund drive rather than close
it up.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 27th, 2019 at 6:10:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

In 2002, Star Wars: Episode II-Attack of the Clones became the first major movie to be shot entirely on digital video, even though, back then, it had to be transferred on to 35mm film for most cinemas to show it. The producers of Attack of the Clones estimate that they spent $16,000 on 220 hours of digital tape. If they had used the same amount of film, it would have cost them $1.8 million.

To produce and ship a 35mm print to an American cinema costs about $1,500. Multiply that by, say, 5,000 prints for a big movie and it comes to $7.5 million. Digital formats can do the same job for 90 percent less.

Paramount announced that it would no longer support 35mm in 2014, and the other studios all followed by 2016.

Many art-house theaters cannot afford to buy digital projectors, which typically cost between $60,000 and $150,000 each. In Hollywood’s own backyard, many of the indie cinemas that survive rely on rich benefactors.

Christopher Nolan still insists that his movies be shown on film in a handful of major theaters around the country
March 27th, 2019 at 7:16:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

Christopher Nolan still insists that his movies be shown on film in a handful of major theaters around the country

A lot of theaters just download the
movie from the source now, there
are no copies of it floating around
to pirate. Download it to a memory
stick, put it into the projector, and
there goes the projectionist job.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 28th, 2019 at 12:03:31 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Pacomartin
In 2002, Star Wars: Episode II-Attack of the Clones became the first major movie to be shot entirely on digital video, even though, back then, it had to be transferred on to 35mm film for most cinemas to show it. The producers of Attack of the Clones estimate that they spent $16,000 on 220 hours of digital tape. If they had used the same amount of film, it would have cost them $1.8 million.

To produce and ship a 35mm print to an American cinema costs about $1,500. Multiply that by, say, 5,000 prints for a big movie and it comes to $7.5 million. Digital formats can do the same job for 90 percent less.

Paramount announced that it would no longer support 35mm in 2014, and the other studios all followed by 2016.

Many art-house theaters cannot afford to buy digital projectors, which typically cost between $60,000 and $150,000 each. In Hollywood’s own backyard, many of the indie cinemas that survive rely on rich benefactors.

The quality of the digital projectors has not caught up to film yet. I can understand the economics, but the product has suffered.

The poorer picture quality is made even worse by operators who try to extend the life of the bulbs in their projectors by running them dimmer than specified.
March 28th, 2019 at 1:04:25 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Ayecarumba
The quality of the digital projectors has not caught up to film yet. I can understand the economics, but the product has suffered.

The poorer picture quality is made even worse by operators who try to extend the life of the bulbs in their projectors by running them dimmer than specified.

I hadn't noticed poorer quality, but I imagine the ability to tweak with CGI perhaps creates some perception of quality difference. Film makers can instantly enhance normal lighting, colors and shadows, but that's also risky because humans can detect something wrong with the way something looks even if they can't figure out exactly why. It's more economical to fix something with a computer than to completely reshoot a scene, thus likely blips in quality perception.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 28th, 2019 at 10:42:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

When Interstellar was released there were instructions on which theaters were showing it in 70mm, 35mm, and all the different formats.

Christopher Nolan is one of a small group of directors who has the clout to have the film distributed this way.