What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

August 18th, 2019 at 11:22:11 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I just watched the Netflix movie I Am Mother.

If this is a Netflix made movie
I'll never watch it. 90% of them
suck and it's not worth wading
thru them to find the 10%.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 18th, 2019 at 12:33:54 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
If this is a Netflix made movie
I'll never watch it. 90% of them
suck and it's not worth wading
thru them to find the 10%.

Can you name some you've watched to arrive at the 10% figure?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 18th, 2019 at 12:43:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
The Bloodline series was good, saw
it twice. Ozark, Travellers, Peaky
Blinders, House of Cards, Narcos,
Longmire, are all good series.
Right now I'm watching Ray Donovan
on Showtime. It's really good, worth
signing up for a couple months. It's
a cross between Sopranos and
Breaking Bad and Goodfellahs.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 18th, 2019 at 2:35:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I just watched the Netflix movie I Am Mother. One thing that bothers me about some movies is when the leave they audience hanging with no closure, as this movie does. Or am I just too thick-headed to understand it? Anyone else seen it and your thoughts on the ending. For the benefit of those who haven't seen it, please use spoiler tags if discussing the ending.

The reviews on this series were almost all positive. Personally, I found it very compelling to watch and binged it quickly.

That said, I really wasn't surprised at any of the plot twists, nor did I feel like I was watching a great film (like Interstellar). I had a fairly straightforward view of the ending.

The experiment continues. Mother would have no compunction about destroying Daughter or any of the other embryo's she activates in the future if she is unhappy with the results. It may be open to a second season.

The ultimate short story with a similar theme was written in 1967, "I have no Mouth and I must scream". I've always considered this story to be brilliant.
https://archive.org/stream/I_Have_No_Mouth_and_I_Must_Scream/I_Have_No_Mouth_and_I_Must_Scream_djvu.txt
August 21st, 2019 at 7:57:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Even though I've never signed up for any of those "Master Class" videos they advertise on YouTube every once in awhile, I still watch through some of them.

Just watched David Lynch's promo one, and he said all you need for a feature film is to write 1 idea on a 3x5 card and once you 70 ideas, you can start filming.

I guess they are related ideas, but I don't know. He does make some pretty weird films.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 21st, 2019 at 7:59:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I guess like this.

1. Beautiful blond with nice legs stands on a chair to put in lightbulb.

Now I just need 69 more.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 22nd, 2019 at 4:42:13 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Why does a movie made in the late 60s or the 70s turn out to be so lousy 90%+ of the time? It's the worst movie decade if you ask me.

I usually note if a movie making the rounds on cable/satellite was made in the 70s and decline to watch it. For some reason I thought "Shout at the Devil" [1976] was made in the early 60s* and gave it a chance. Omigod was it bad, way too long [it has an intermission!] and way too stupid, sorry.

Inspired by the destruction of the German light cruiser "Königsberg" in WWI, it was barely watchable. The props they had were pretty impressive, so when they showed the ship or the bi-plane they had, I would watch, and pretty much fast-forwarded otherwise. Immediately you knew it was unhistorical version, which I later confirmed. Whatever they were using for the German ship, which they dubbed a battleship, seemed too small for that class, ironic since it would have passed for a cruiser. The plot was ludicrous, oscillating constantly between being a farce and being serious. Lee Marvin managed to keep the viewer a bit interested, but I think you'd have to like Lee Marvin in the first place. The rest of the actors couldn't overcome the ridiculousness of the dialogue, not even their fault I think; but Ian Holm was miscast yet again.

Just another 70s dud.

*you have to be wary of those too but the chances are better it will be OK or even good
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 22nd, 2019 at 10:25:23 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I watched "The Killing" - a Kubrick movie before he became "Kubrick" - it is a heist movie involving a racetrack - a fun ride

August 22nd, 2019 at 11:10:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: aceofspades
I watched "The Killing" - a Kubrick movie before he became "Kubrick" - it is a heist movie involving a racetrack - a fun ride

Looks like a comedy. 1956. The problem
with movies made before 1968 is,
you know how they'll end. The Hays
code demanded that anybody who
commits a crime in a movie must
be punished in the movie. So you
know going in they will always get
caught.
I think the first one made without
the code was The Thomas Crowne
Affair. It was weird seeing him on
that plane getting away with bank
robbery scott free.
August 22nd, 2019 at 11:41:00 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
Looks like a comedy. 1956. The problem
with movies made before 1968 is,
you know how they'll end. The Hays
code demanded that anybody who
commits a crime in a movie must
be punished in the movie. So you
know going in they will always get
caught.