Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
Not a comedy

Sometime's it's the journey, not the destination

It has Elisha Cook getting beat
up, as usual. Probably a good
movie.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 22nd, 2019 at 4:12:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
The problem with movies made before 1968 is, you know how they'll end.

After Shakespeare had been dead for 26 years, the Puritans shut down the Playhouses in Britain for 18 years. When they re-opened the practice of casting pre-pubescent boys to play female roles was impossible because an entire generation had grown up without any experience. So women were finally cast in female parts.
August 24th, 2019 at 1:49:51 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
We saw The Peanut Butter Falcon. It was cute, heartwarming. We enjoyed it.
August 25th, 2019 at 10:45:23 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I finally watched ARGO last night, gave me goosebumps - definitely deserved the Oscar for Best Picture:

August 31st, 2019 at 2:23:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Joaquin Phoenix is getting excellent reviews in "The Joker"

“The clown prince of crime is alive and mentally unwell in Gotham City in Todd Phillips’ grippingly atmospheric supervillain origin story, Joker,”
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 4th, 2019 at 2:38:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Saw a movie trailer for JoJo Rabbit. Not sure what it was about so checked IMDB

Quote:
A World War II satire that follows a lonely German boy named Jojo (Roman Griffin Davis) whose world view is turned upside down when he discovers his single mother (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a young Jewish girl (Thomasin McKenzie) in their attic. Aided only by his idiotic imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler (Taika Waititi), Jojo must confront his blind nationalism.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 14th, 2019 at 3:45:14 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Darn it all: Amazon withdrew the movie NUMB from its freebie list. I had really enjoyed it and wanted to watch it again.

......Well-educated couple with middle class values but considerable financial strain and some marital strain between them encounter a much coarser, poorer couple with obvious prison backgrounds and secretive habits. The couples fall into an uneasy partnership that tests their blizzard survival skills and values in rugged, remote territory.

I also wanted to watch an Amazon movie but can't recall the title.

....... Rural deputy sheriff who acts mainly as a wilderness man tracker gets word that his son is on the run from the homicide squad in some urban city. Movie shows how wilderness tracking skills can be applied to urban crime scenes much to the irritation of the urban police.

Liam Neeson's movie about a snowplow driver who learned how to kill by reading crime novels is on Amazon and Youtube but it is not free so I am still holding off on it.
September 14th, 2019 at 9:15:28 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Watched this last night - I knew this movie was poorly reviewed but did not think it could be as bad as it was lol

September 14th, 2019 at 10:04:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
It just struck me that Matthew McConaughey and Liam Neeson look a lot alike

I've decided to try to get all of Neeson's movies once he started getting major roles, which means approximately 1990; at about that time the DVDs are still available or not, might have to try to find some on ebay. And decided that I'll watch these whether they seem good, bad, or indifferent - unless I think I would just hate the movie

that's a lot of movies, but DVDs have gotten pretty cheap
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 14th, 2019 at 10:27:24 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
Watched this last night - I knew this movie was poorly reviewed but did not think it could be as bad as it was lol
]

It was that bad? Why.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.