What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

September 14th, 2019 at 1:52:22 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Evenbob
It was that bad? Why.

I was wondering the same thing, so I looked up the plot synopsis.
September 15th, 2019 at 1:20:42 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
It was that bad? Why.

The entire "twist" was nonsensical
September 15th, 2019 at 1:37:15 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I saw Serenity in theaters just to see if it was as bad as all the critics said it was.

I agree- it’s not good. But I’d almost recommend seeing it just to see how far off the rails a movie can go.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 15th, 2019 at 2:30:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Downton next weekend.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 16th, 2019 at 8:09:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
I saw Serenity in theaters just to see if it was as bad as all the critics said it was. I agree- it’s not good. But I’d almost recommend seeing it just to see how far off the rails a movie can go.

Most reviews were bad, but some critics went out on a limb and said they liked it. But it was financially a flop.

Matthew McConaughey has nearly a three decade career with over 40 feature films. Except for some small films at the beginning of his career, he seems to have hit some high notes with "Contact" and "A Time to Kill". Then he made "The Wedding Planner" and spent over a decade in the highly profitable, but critically panned ROM-COM business. Finally he makes "Dallas Buyers Club" and "Interstellar" and he is reborn as a critical success. Then he spends five years in ignominy.
September 16th, 2019 at 9:58:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I positively hate movies that go too far with "twists" - I don't much like any twist at all, but of course have a certain tolerance as long as it isn't a deus ex machina plot device.*

But once there is one twist, that's gotta be it. I don't want to find out that the twist gets altered, and what you thought was 'the deal' has been dropped and now it's something else.

*I hate those even more. I can be a real hater
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 16th, 2019 at 11:10:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
I positively hate movies that go too far with "twists" - I don't much like any twist at all, but of course have a certain tolerance as long as it isn't a deus ex machina plot device.*

But once there is one twist, that's gotta be it. I don't want to find out that the twist gets altered, and what you thought was 'the deal' has been dropped and now it's something else.

*I hate those even more. I can be a real hater

“No Way Out” with Gene Hackman and Kevin Costner was one of my favorite twist plots. At the time that I saw it. Don’t know if it holds up.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 16th, 2019 at 6:49:37 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Some movie producers purchase a best-selling book and then totally reverse everything for an entire series of twists.
1950 In a Lonely Place had Bogart innocent and likeable, The Best Selling Novel depicted him as guilty and a complete cad.

Some movies are remakes that also totally reverse key facts leading to major twists.
Such as Narrow Margin in 1952 and again in 1990.

It can be fun that way.
September 16th, 2019 at 7:23:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
“No Way Out” with Gene Hackman and Kevin Costner was one of my favorite twist plots. At the time that I saw it. Don’t know if it holds up.

I would say it holds up. That was actually the third film version of the 1946 novel (2nd American version).

Old thriller novels tend to have better plots than modern novels. I think plots were considered a bigger part of writing.

I recently watched the latest Mission Impossible film (Fallout). I kept thinking that this film doesn't actually have a plot. It's just a bunch of seemingly random set ups for impossible sequences and scene changes.
September 17th, 2019 at 7:54:49 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Saw Ready or Not today. That movie is nuts.