What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

March 29th, 2020 at 11:27:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I finally watched Eastwood's "Unforgiven". Had a few quibbles with some of the character depictions, but otherwise enjoyable. It somehow got to the required ending without seeming too contrived. I'd put it in the near great category.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 30th, 2020 at 11:50:25 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
I finally watched Eastwood's "Unforgiven". Had a few quibbles with some of the character depictions, but otherwise enjoyable. It somehow got to the required ending without seeming too contrived. I'd put it in the near great category.

That is one of my all time greats. There is so much going on in there. Through another telling, Little Bill would have been the hero, holding together a town on the very edge of civilization against vigilantes and desperados.
March 30th, 2020 at 12:12:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Mosca
That is one of my all time greats. There is so much going on in there. Through another telling, Little Bill would have been the hero, holding together a town on the very edge of civilization against vigilantes and desperados.

Don't know what they pay Gene Hackman, but he always delivers for his roles.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 30th, 2020 at 3:10:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Don't know what they pay Gene Hackman.

They've paid him nothing since
2004 when he retired at 75. He
turned 90 in Jan.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 2nd, 2020 at 2:01:43 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
i'm seeing really lousy movies on you tube and amazon during my hours of hunkering down hiding from the Corona virus.
April 4th, 2020 at 8:45:48 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I just watched Marriage Story

Anyone thinking of filing for divorce should watch this movie - it portrays a typical divorce situation once attorneys get involved

Although for some reason this trailer makes it seem light-hearted it is in no way, shape or form a lighthearted movie
The trailer is very very misleading

April 10th, 2020 at 6:19:31 AM permalink
Mosca
Quote: Wizard
I'm going to be lazy and copy and paste my Uncut Gems review from WoV here...

I just saw Uncut Gems yesterday.

Let me start by saying that the movie isn't for everybody. It's dark, uses the F word hundreds of times, at times violent, does not have a strong plot, and does not have anything positive to say about anybody or anything. One might comparisons to Joker in that respect.

However, I also thought it was fantastic. I like dark movies like Taxi Driver and Scarface -- don't ask me why.

Like Owning Mahoney, the movie is about a compulsive gambler who is deep in debt, yet continues to movie money around, robbing Peter to pay Paul, in hopes of a big score. In this case, the movie centers around a small-time jeweler, Howard Ratner, in New York who gets a hold of a opal-laden rock from Ethiopia, shows it to an NBA player, Kevin Garnett, who is attracted to it like Gollum to the Ring of Mordor. Given it's perceived power, Garnett plays better basketball, which Ratner bets into. Meanwhile, Ratner is trying to maintain a somewhat normal life with his wife, kids, and mistress. That is about as far as I'll take it.

Dislike of Adam Sandler or his movies should not be a reason not to see it. I didn't care for Adam Sandler either before this movie either. The only movie of his I could make it through previously was 100 First Dates and even that I could go without seeing twice. However, this movie shows a completely different side of him. This will likely be the movie he is remembered by. Somebody else compared this role to John Travolta's in Pulp Fiction, which is a good way to put it.

I have to take issue with some of the unrealistic gambling scenes. The movie shows the main character making incredibly correlated parlay bets, like the winner of the first half to winner of the entire game, in the NBA. At the risk of a spoiler, the movie shows the Mohegan Sun taking an over-the-counter all-cash 3-leg parlay bet for about $120,000 that was extremely correlated. That aspect was just ridiculous, but did fit into the characters needs to get roughly 10 to 1 odds on a bet.

In conclusion, despite the unrealistic bets that were being accepted, I recommend Uncut Gems. I'll give it an 8+ on the 0 to 10 scale.

We finally caught up with this one yesterday. I agree completely with your review, Wiz. I’ll go further and say that this film would fit right into the style of movies made in the late 60s through the 70s, in a sort of, “let’s not mind the rules too much, and let’s see what we get” way. It’s character driven, tightly plotted, there is not a wasted scene or line of dialogue, and it is incredibly focused.

And don’t worry about Adam Sandler. I didn’t see Sandler in the screen, I saw Howard Ratner.
April 10th, 2020 at 6:23:15 AM permalink
Mosca
Quote: Fleastiff
i'm seeing really lousy movies on you tube and amazon during my hours of hunkering down hiding from the Corona virus.

Take 67 minutes and watch Detour.

April 10th, 2020 at 10:08:23 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I watched The Conversation last night

From all the reviews of this movie, I expected much more

It seems all those 1970's movies moved at a snail's pace

April 10th, 2020 at 10:25:02 AM permalink
rxwine
I have to be in the right kind of mood to watch certain kinds of movies even if they are good. Especially if they are slow paced.