Threads: 83
Quote: Mosca
Take 67 minutes and watch Detour.

Never chase a dame across the country for love
April 10th, 2020 at 7:19:25 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Wizard
I just finished The Two Popes. Quite good. It is mainly about how Popes Benedict and Francis initially didn't like each other much, but a great friendship slowly developed, despite the many touchy subjects that liberal and conservative Catholics may disagree on.

I'd be interested in FrG's thoughts on it.

I also thought Jonathan Pryce actually looks a lot like Pope Francis.

Image source: What’s Fact and What’s Fiction in The Two Popes.

Another total agreement. We just watched it, and enjoyed it very much. Very well made.
April 11th, 2020 at 7:19:49 PM permalink
Mosca
Bombshell was interesting. It was worth a watch. Great acting by all involved. The story is kind of linear, but, well, the story is kind of linear. Not a great movie, but a good one.
April 11th, 2020 at 8:10:04 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: aceofspades
I watched The Conversation last night

From all the reviews of this movie, I expected much more

It seems all those 1970's movies moved at a snail's pace.
yeah, but one thing was that the recording of a conversation on a fishing boat whwn there was no other boat around, that actually happened and so did the consequences to the accountant and his entire family.
April 12th, 2020 at 4:08:19 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My wife made me watch Beetlejuice last week. Thankfully it only wasted about 90 minutes of my life.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 15th, 2020 at 3:21:24 PM permalink
Mosca
We watched The Way Back, Ben Affleck is a basketball coach who drinks too much. It filled a couple hours, it was at least as good as Family Feud repeats.
April 17th, 2020 at 11:27:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: ams288
Recently:

Annihilation

I highly enjoyed about 85% of it. It kind of lost me at the end when it goes off the wall. Overall I'd recommend it though because it's refreshing to gets dark, adult-targeted sci fi movie.

(all the way from your 2016 post)

I just watched this on demand. I felt like I understood the ending so enjoyed the whole thing.

I didn't read anything about it prior to watching it. Since it depends on mystery, I usually enjoy these more as it reveals itself. Although it looked similar to other movies about a mysterious happening isolated and being investigated by the government it felt fresh enough.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 17th, 2020 at 1:18:37 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
i'm told that at 6pm pacifictime original HUNGER GAMES gets live streamed on youtubr. FRIDAY
April 19th, 2020 at 8:40:36 AM permalink
Mosca
We watched Just Mercy, about a wrongly convicted death row prisoner. Based on a true story, with analyses claiming it is fairly close to the story. Very well done, very emotional.
May 9th, 2020 at 8:10:44 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Watched "A Star is Born" 1954 [James Mason and Judy Garland] for the first time; I felt it was one of those cases of feeling you have to see it at least once. 

The movie is too long [has an intermission even] and I was glad I could fast-forward. Garland does a lot of singing, and I would listen for a bit, enjoying it even, but I couldn't sit through all those numbers. I understand how it would be for her fans ~ but you would have to be one I think to want to see the whole movie. Otherwise I did watch it all. I think the second half of the movie is better, and because of that I'd say it is worth watching if you can fast-forward at times. 

The irony of Judy Garland being in this movie is inescapable to anyone I guess. It wasn't going to be long before she became a female version of the drunken has-been character Mason played, but in real life. I think it is fair to say playing in the movie did nothing to keep her from this and you have to wonder if she could see the irony and when she saw it if she did. 

She was doomed to wane as a star, you can tell that from this movie too. Great singer but just was an actress without all the right stuff to make it as an adult movie star. Even her hair just wasn't cutting it for stardom anymore. Yeah she played a great kid in a wonderful Oz movie, but in the 1950s wasn't going to be able to play a kid anymore. Definitely cruel fate.

Not sure I want to see the 2018 movie, not anytime soon anyway.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]