What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

May 9th, 2020 at 8:36:38 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I have always thought I should watch Gone With the Wind but still have not gotten around to it - anyone see it and have thoughts about whether it is a "must watch" classic?
May 9th, 2020 at 8:44:36 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: aceofspades
I have always thought I should watch Gone With the Wind but still have not gotten around to it - anyone see it and have thoughts about whether it is a "must watch" classic?

It's a good movie
Watch it and decide for yourself
I enjoyed it when I saw it as a kid long time ago
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 9th, 2020 at 8:56:20 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: odiousgambit
Watched "A Star is Born" 1954 [James Mason and Judy Garland] for the first time; I felt it was one of those cases of feeling you have to see it at least once. 

The movie is too long [has an intermission even] and I was glad I could fast-forward. Garland does a lot of singing, and I would listen for a bit, enjoying it even, but I couldn't sit through all those numbers. I understand how it would be for her fans ~ but you would have to be one I think to want to see the whole movie. Otherwise I did watch it all. I think the second half of the movie is better, and because of that I'd say it is worth watching if you can fast-forward at times. 

The irony of Judy Garland being in this movie is inescapable to anyone I guess. It wasn't going to be long before she became a female version of the drunken has-been character Mason played, but in real life. I think it is fair to say playing in the movie did nothing to keep her from this and you have to wonder if she could see the irony and when she saw it if she did. 

She was doomed to wane as a star, you can tell that from this movie too. Great singer but just was an actress without all the right stuff to make it as an adult movie star. Even her hair just wasn't cutting it for stardom anymore. Yeah she played a great kid in a wonderful Oz movie, but in the 1950s wasn't going to be able to play a kid anymore. Definitely cruel fate.

Not sure I want to see the 2018 movie, not anytime soon anyway.

I watched last year’s “Judy” starring Renee Zellwegger on a plane ride to Vegas earlier this year (it was a good plane movie). Really opened my eyes to what a rough life Judy Garland lived. The adults in her life really failed her at a young age and screwed her up for life.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 9th, 2020 at 9:43:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Yeah, you have to see it at least once. Romantic 20th century notions about the old South that are flat out dead and gone too will be in evidence, but you know that, right?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 9th, 2020 at 10:06:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Probably the only actor still alive from the movie.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 9th, 2020 at 10:34:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

My mother saw GWTW every year
in the theater in the 50's with her
sister. It's a huge cinematic triumph
for it's time. Gigantic. It was made
at the same time as Wizard of Oz
and the Technicolor Co had to take
the cameras from set to set and
home at night so nobody could
steal one and reverse engineer the
tech.

Keep in mind when you watch it
that the scenes in downtown
Atlanta is the same set used
for Mayberry in the Andy Griffith
show. Same buildings, just
modernized a bit.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 24th, 2020 at 10:42:13 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Just saw "Uncut Gems".

Pretty wild. The writers knew this world very well and it shows.

Wikipedia page calls it a "crime thriller" but that's off. It is a sort of Dark Comedy I'd say, one that doesn't intend to be total comedy but also a story about a lot of things ~ including the bizarre effects of degenerate gambling addiction. I think to watch it you want to be ready to chuckle but also visit various dark worlds and be glad you aren't really in them.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 25th, 2020 at 9:40:57 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: odiousgambit
Just saw "Uncut Gems".

Pretty wild. The writers knew this world very well and it shows.

Wikipedia page calls it a "crime thriller" but that's off. It is a sort of Dark Comedy I'd say, one that doesn't intend to be total comedy but also a story about a lot of things ~ including the bizarre effects of degenerate gambling addiction. I think to watch it you want to be ready to chuckle but also visit various dark worlds and be glad you aren't really in them.

For anyone who’s curious to check it out, Uncut Gems is now on Netflix in the US.
May 25th, 2020 at 12:00:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
For anyone who’s curious to check it out, Uncut Gems is now on Netflix in the US.

"I have only walked out of one other movie in my life. I was trying to stick it out through very chaotic and gritty scenes hoping that the movie would get better. 20 minutes into the movie, my husband said, it better get better than this or we should just go home. Sad to say, we made it about an hour in still hoping. This movie was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. You don't want to root for any of these characters. They all seem pretty horrible as people. There is no humor. The movie has a lot of chaos, which causes an anxious feeling because people are constantly yelling and being obnoxious."

I'll pass..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 25th, 2020 at 12:12:33 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: Evenbob
I'll pass..

Good.

We’re all going to hold you to that. Don’t come back here saying you decided to watch it and it was AWFUL cause no one is going to care. You make up your mind before you ever watch something based on fake IMDB reviews by trolls.