What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 6th, 2020 at 6:35:59 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: rxwine
A director needs to have very significant clout these days to be able to run up big cinematic scenes not based heavily on CGI. Probably was no CGI in that scene at the time it was made.

“There were no trick shots or CGI wizardry behind the film’s centerpiece: That really is a herd of 3500 buffalo storming across the prairie. The crew got only one shot at filming the stampede each day, since the animals had to first be rounded up and then, once they started running, would go for miles before stopping. “The trucks began herding the buffalo at five o’clock in the morning in hopes that they would be in position by 11,” producer Jim Wilson told Entertainment Weekly. Capturing the sequence took eight days and involved 20 wranglers, a helicopter, and 10 pickup trucks with mounted cameras.“
December 7th, 2020 at 2:13:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: gamerfreak
“There were no trick shots or CGI wizardry behind the film’s centerpiece: That really is a herd of 3500 buffalo storming across the prairie. The crew got only one shot at filming the stampede each day, since the animals had to first be rounded up and then, once they started running, would go for miles before stopping. .“

Just think there was only 15 years between Dances with Wolves and King Kong.
December 7th, 2020 at 10:38:49 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: odiousgambit
15 feet! wow

It's why nobody is allowed by law to breath pure oxygen underwater except a NAVY SEALl. But with pure oxygen they could theoretically swim in a harbor, plant a mine on a ship, and swim out. But they have to be very careful of their depth, and if someone starts shooting at them they can't dive deep to be less visible. Needless to say you would never try this in the daylight.

Although 50% is permitted under the law, no dive operator would take a chance with clients. You have to sign a waiver before every dive certifying what the percentage of Nitrox is in your tank and that you won't go below a certain depth. Wherease normal oxygen toxicity occurs at 215-250 feet breathing compressed air, they still want the oxygen toxicity to be fairly deep so that people aren't careless.

The normal problem is too much nitrogen which makes you drunk and can give you the bends. You have to be careful, but you won't die within minutes like with oxygen toxicity.

Normally, if you want to dive deep you mix oxygen with helium. But at around 400' to 500' you still get brain damage. An Egyptian diver hit 1,090 ft 4.5 in, but he was risking permanent brain damage. He also spent 4 years in training for this attempt. The descent took only 15 minutes while the ascent lasted 13 hours 35 minutes. Ahmed was helped by a 30-strong support team, including nine divers as well as technicians, medical staff, and media representatives.

He is very happy at the press conference
December 7th, 2020 at 10:51:33 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Pacomartin
It's why nobody is allowed by law to breath pure oxygen underwater except a seal. But with pure oxygen they could theoretically swim in a harbor, plant a mine on a ship, and swim out. But they have to be very careful of their depth, and if someone starts shooting at them they can't dive deep to be less visible. Needless to say you would never try this in the daylight.

Although 50% is permitted under the law, no dive operator would take a chance with clients. You have to sign a waiver before every dive certifying what the percentage of Nitrox is in your tank and that you won't go below a certain depth. Wherease normal oxygen toxicity occurs at 215-250 feet breathing compressed air, they still want the oxygen toxicity to be fairly deep so that people aren't careless.

The normal problem is too much nitrogen which makes you drunk and can give you the bends. You have to be careful, but you won't die within minutes like with oxygen toxicity.

Normally, if you want to dive deep you mix oxygen with helium. But at around 400' to 500' you still get brain damage. An Egyptian diver hit 1,090 ft 4.5 in, but he was risking permanent brain damage. He also spent 4 years in training for this attempt.

He is very happy at the press conference
Is there any dangers of people on land breathing concentrated oxygen from a oxygen concentrator due to compromised lungs? I believe they deliver appx. 92% Oxygen?

Why do seals want to breathe pure oxygen and stay at 15 ft.? What is the benefit?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 7th, 2020 at 1:27:00 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: petroglyph

Why do seals want to breathe pure oxygen and stay at 15 ft.? What is the benefit?

I would assume to stay underwater longer.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 7th, 2020 at 2:55:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: DRich
I would assume to stay underwater longer.

A small bottle of oxygen, about the size of today's pony bottles, allowed the diver to remain underwater for up to 4 hours!

The other thing is you rebreathe the oxygen. Eventually it turns to CO2, but by that point you hopefully have completed your mission. That way you avoid exhaling into the water where bubbles will easily permit an enemy to detect you and probably kill you or worse.

Photographers prefer rebreathers because normally the bubbles frighten the subject of their photography. But photographers are spending a lot of money on their gear, and they are breathing Nitrox which is less than 50% oxygen (more likely 40%).

Photographers often like to do "drift dives" where the current simply carries you along and you take images of the fish you float by. If you are barely moving, the fish don't have any reaction. With a rebreather you have no bubbles and the oxygen allows you to dive for a much longer period of time.
December 14th, 2020 at 4:02:45 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I just read Nomadland recently
Really liked the book
Nonfiction about travelling nomads looking for work living out of their RV's and vehicles
I'm excited it just got made into a movie starring Frances McDormand
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 16th, 2020 at 3:09:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Just started "Crazy Rich Asians". I was quite shocked to see the assertion in the beginning that Asians are still subject to the worst kind of discrimination in [evidently] New York, being told in spite of reservations they can't stay in this 'nice' hotel and to "try Chinatown". It's a family who shows up a little bedraggled after traveling, so you could make the case that this is why the management panicked, but clearly the movie wanted to make the discrimination assertion. 

Now, if you wanted to go back to yesteryear, sure, I could buy that. But not today. Seems to me the "woke" people out there are so into it, they're willing to just make it up now. I'm aware any minority can still face problems anywhere and everywhere today, but I say this particular scenario with Asians just would not happen today. 

The movie is so Asian-focused that it's almost for Asians only. These factors all meant starting off on the wrong foot with me, but I stuck with it and am getting into it a little now. I'll probably post some more after finishing it.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 16th, 2020 at 5:18:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Just started "Crazy Rich Asians". I was quite shocked to see the assertion in the beginning that Asians are still subject to the worst kind of discrimination in [evidently] New York, being told in spite of reservations they can't stay in this 'nice' hotel and to "try Chinatown".

Well the scene is London in 1995. I think the scene is largely for comic effect and is not meant to be taken as gospel.

British-Chinese
England 379,502 – 0.7% (2011)
Scotland 33,706 – 0.6% (2011)
Wales 13,638 – 0.4% (2011)
Northern Ireland 6,303 – 0.3% (2011)
433,150 or 0.7% of the UK's population (2011)

Chinese- Americans
1.5% of the total U.S. population (2018)
December 16th, 2020 at 5:35:35 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
Just started "Crazy Rich Asians". I was quite shocked to see the assertion in the beginning that Asians are still subject to the worst kind of discrimination in [evidently] New York, being told in spite of reservations they can't stay in this 'nice' hotel and to "try Chinatown".

Well the scene is London in 1995. I think the scene is largely for comic effect and is not meant to be taken as gospel.

I agree and I'm partly Asian
It was done for comedy just to show how crazy rich this family is. It's a hoot to simply buy the high end hotel that just kicked you out.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"