What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 18th, 2020 at 5:30:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Fred MacMurray does look like a leading man in this 1940 movie "Remember the Night". But he sure didn't in "My Three Sons" series.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 19th, 2020 at 5:26:50 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
don't get "Airport" confused with "Airplane" which was a comedy

as for "Love Story", of course it was something you took a date to, but guys had a beef about it, everywhere you saw a promotion for the movie you saw this bit about "love means never having to say you're sorry" ... but of course everyone knew guys better say they're sorry! whether or not you knew what you did wrong or not. I think after the 'new rubbed off' even women started thinking that was a dumb slogan

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 19th, 2020 at 5:34:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
don't get "Airport" confused with "Airplane" which was a comedy

as for "Love Story", of course it was something you took a date to, but guys had a beef about it, everywhere you saw a promotion for the movie you saw this bit about "love means never having to say you're sorry" ... but of course everyone knew guys better say they're sorry! whether or not you knew what you did wrong or not. I think after the 'new rubbed off' even women started thinking that was a dumb slogan.

"Love Story" which was the highest grossing film of 1970; Fatal Attraction was the highest grossing film of 1987.

Michael Douglas's character, Dan Gallagher, had better say he is sorry for the rest of his life.

Glenn Close had previously won 3 Academy Award nominations for Best Supporting Actress. Fatal Attraction would be the first of 4 nominations for Best Acress. She never won.
December 20th, 2020 at 4:32:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
For the short period it has been in existence, Singapore is, without an exception, the most thriving colon

Don't they have the strictest
drug laws in the world? Just
bringing a joint into the
country can get you the
death penalty almost. And
chewing gum is forbidden,
it's not sold or allowed. They
don't want to be London who
has to employ scores of full
time workers just to clean the
gum off the sidewalks.

Singapore is one of the most
humid places on earth. In the
summer the air feels like it's
burning your skin with steam.
Even people born there say
you never get used to it, you
just tolerate it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 20th, 2020 at 9:37:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Singapore is one of the most humid places on earth.

Singapore is only 95 nautical miles north of the Equator: @ 1.3521° N although the equator does not run through Singapore.

It is by far the wealthiest of the 5 major Equatorial Cities.
8.1 million Bogota is the largest city and the capital of Colombia
5.6 million Singapore
3.1 million Nairobi is Kenya’s capital and largest city
2.7 million Guayaquil is a large metropolis on Ecuador’s Pacific coast. It is the country’s second largest city.
2.6 million Fortaleza is a city in Northeastern Brazil located about 1,420 miles from Brasilia.

The Equator runs through countries in Africa, South America, and one in Asia.

These countries include:

Sao Tome and Principe (island nation)
Gabon
the Republic of the Congo
the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Uganda
Kenya
Somalia

Ecuador
Colombia
Brazil

Indonesia
December 21st, 2020 at 12:14:30 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Ecuador
Colombia
Brazil

I follow a family on Utube that
lives in Ecuador. They like it
because there are 12 hour days
all year and there are no real
season changes. It's summer
all year long, so it's always
growing season. Of course
it's horribly humid year round,
but you can't have everything.

I read the whole earth was
horribly humid in the time
of the dinosaurs. It changed
when our orbit changed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 21st, 2020 at 8:24:09 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
Don't they have the strictest
drug laws in the world? Just
bringing a joint into the
country can get you the
death penalty almost. And
chewing gum is forbidden,
it's not sold or allowed. They
don't want to be London who
has to employ scores of full
time workers just to clean the
gum off the sidewalks.

Singapore is one of the most
humid places on earth. In the
summer the air feels like it's
burning your skin with steam.
Even people born there say
you never get used to it, you
just tolerate it.

Singapore is very clear on the tough stance on drugs. Note the nice welcome they put on your arrival card.

I've been there several times at different times of the year and the weather has always been abut 80 to 90F and humid. If you have to walk very far it's uncomfortable but not unbearable. However EB's intolerance of humidity is well noted.

Singapore's low corporate tax rate and ease of setting up a business make it one of the most business friendly nations in the world. It is a popular spot for multinationals to set up a holding company for Asia business.

Private residential real estate is only for the very wealthy. 80% of the population live in publicly subsidized high rise apartments, but the living conditions, neighborhood and amenities are are very middle to upper middle class. The catch is, the properties are under a 99 year lease. The government maintains ownership. They are bought and sold as if they were normal real estate, but the value goes down as the lease expiration approaches.

You don't need a car there, but they make it prohibitively expensive to own one. They have a long list of fees and taxes that make a Toyota Corolla that would cost $23K in the US cost $135K in Singapore.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 21st, 2020 at 10:25:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
It’s too easy to plant drugs so someone gets falsely accused. A harsh penalty like the death penalty doesn’t seem like the wisest choice.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 21st, 2020 at 11:30:52 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: rxwine
It’s too easy to plant drugs so someone gets falsely accused. A harsh penalty like the death penalty doesn’t seem like the wisest choice.

The MANDATORY death penalty amounts are not overwhelmingly high.
1200 grams (42 oz) opium
500 grams (18 oz) cannabis mixture
250 grams (8.8 oz) methamphetamine
200 grams (7.1 oz) hashish
100 grams (3.5 oz) cannabis resin
30 grams (1.1 oz) morphine
30 grams (1.1 oz) cocaine
15 grams (0.53 oz) diamorphine (heroin)

Presumed trafficking levels are 5%- 10% of the levels for MANDATORY death penalty.
The means you are "presumed trafficking for 3 grams of cocaine (about $300 worth).

To me 3 grams of cocaine mean you are a spoiled rich kid, not a drug trafficker.
December 21st, 2020 at 11:35:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The MANDATORY death penalty amounts are not overwhelmingly high.
1200 grams (42 oz) opium
500 grams (18 oz) cannabis mixture
250 grams (8.8 oz) methamphetamine
200 grams (7.1 oz) hashish
100 grams (3.5 oz) cannabis resin
30 grams (1.1 oz) morphine
30 grams (1.1 oz) cocaine
15 grams (0.53 oz) diamorphine (heroin)

Presumed trafficking levels are 5%- 10% of the levels for MANDATORY death penalty.
The means you are "presumed trafficking for 3 grams of cocaine (about $300 worth).

To me 3 grams of cocaine mean you are a spoiled rich kid, not a drug trafficker.

I've watched a lot of episodes of Locked up abroad
Just about every episode is an amateur smuggling drugs via a passenger plane and getting caught. It's really shocking how stupid these people are.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"