What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 21st, 2020 at 5:05:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined
t's really shocking how stupid these people are.

The vast majority of criminals
are stupid, it's why they get
caught. It's the smart ones
that get away with it. The old
school Mafia guys were dumb
as rocks in the lower ranks.
8th grade drop outs who
couldn't read or write. All they
did was plan stupid crimes
that were doomed to fail half
the time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 22nd, 2020 at 6:56:06 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
In crimes where a brilliant heist is involved, it's amazing how poor the getaway and aftermath plans tend to be. In other words, it can be a work of genius for the first phase, and idiocy for the latter phase.

but the most inexcusable thing about first-time criminals getting caught, judging by the true crime stuff I watch, is how many people assume their cell phones are safe to use, and they'll do stupid stuff like two collaborators calling each other 40 times around the time of the crime. And they don't know their whereabouts are being tracked by cell towers, info that's available well after the fact, when they become suspects
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 22nd, 2020 at 7:00:51 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: terapined
I've watched a lot of episodes of Locked up abroad
Just about every episode is an amateur smuggling drugs via a passenger plane and getting caught. It's really shocking how stupid these people are.
I've seen some of those, can't watch too many... depressing. An interesting one though was a fundamentalist sect Jew who would go back and forth between Europe and Brazil with drugs, and they wouldnt even check his luggage. Too trustworthy-looking in his particular clothing and all. He never got caught doing that but was caught with something else he was up to in Brazil, if I remember right.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 22nd, 2020 at 10:10:36 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Really looking forward to this
Get Back
A Doc about the Beatles by Peter Jackson
He had access to tons of unseen footage of the Beatles working
I cant wait
Some of my favorite audio recordings are of the Beatles working in the studio
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 22nd, 2020 at 7:02:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
they'll do stupid stuff like two collaborators calling each other 40 times around the time of the crime

We had a couple of cars driving through the Tijuana-San Diego border crossing, and one father made a comment about his child eating ice cream on a stick. The ice cream nearly felll on the kid's clothing, and he said on the phone "That was a close call". The DHS guards swarmed our cars asking what the close call was.

Venders selling snacks and toys to the people stuck in traffic trying to cross border.
December 26th, 2020 at 5:41:35 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Wonder Woman 1984

Actually went to the theater last night to watch it. I see lots of people are trashing it online, but I enjoyed it. 🤷‍♂️ Aside from it being a bit overlong, I don’t have any major complaints. Loved the cameo in the end credits scene too.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 26th, 2020 at 5:56:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: ams288
Wonder Woman 1984

Actually went to the theater last night to watch it. I see lots of people are trashing it online, but I enjoyed it. 🤷‍♂️ Aside from it being a bit overlong, I don’t have any major complaints. Loved the cameo in the end credits scene too.

Last year 30 films cleared $100m domestically .

It seems like the biggest domestic box office success after COVID began was a little known film called "After We Collided" which had a Domestic Box Office $82.4 million. The film starred 23 year old "Hero Fiennes Tiffin" and female co-star "Josephine Langford". The film was a sequal to a 2019 film called "After".

So WW 1984 has to beat this film.

The first Wonder Woman earned
$103 million at end of week 1
$206 million at end of week 2

This one will be lucky to break $150 million.
December 27th, 2020 at 8:47:26 AM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: ams288
Wonder Woman 1984

Do I need to watch the first 1,983 Wonder Woman movies to understand the plot of this one?
December 27th, 2020 at 12:40:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Pacomartin
It seems like the biggest domestic box office success after COVID began was a little known film called "After We Collided" which had a Domestic Box Office $82.4 million. The film starred 23 year old "Hero Fiennes Tiffin" and female co-star "Josephine Langford". The film was a sequal to a 2019 film called "After".

So WW 1984 has to beat this film.

Maybe it won't beat "After We Collide".

Warner Brothers last tentpole film, Christopher Nolan's "Tenet" released in the pandemic made (domestically) $20,200,000 opening weekend and $37,695,000 for the rest of it's run.

Wonder Woman 1984 only earned $16,700,000 opening weekend , and it is available on HBO MAX.

We may not see a $100 million movie until May 7, 2021 when Marvel's Black Widow is released. Another possibility is May 21, 2021 when Godzilla vs Kong is released.
December 27th, 2020 at 12:54:18 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin

Warner Brothers last tentpole film, Christopher Nolan's "Tenet" released in the pandemic made (domestically) $20,200,000 opening weekend and $37,695,000 for the rest of it's run.

I really want to see it but its not playing anywhere in a theatre near me
19 bucks to buy online
Not able to rent yet

Just saw 3 billboards
good movie
The ending is weird, road trip.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"