What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

February 25th, 2021 at 5:35:01 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Gandler
I watched Shutter Island (2010) the other night.

I never watched it when it first released because of the reviews. But, I thought it was an excellent movie, probably the first movie in a while that I really got into. I am not sure why all of the negative critical reviews, I thought it was very well-done.

I don’t think the reviews were particularly bad at the time. Maybe not the awards- level recognition Scorsese usually gets, but not bad...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 25th, 2021 at 6:38:53 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I never watched it when it first released because of the reviews. But, I thought it was an excellent movie, probably the first movie in a while that I really got into. I am not sure why all of the negative critical reviews, I thought it was very well-done.

I read the book
Of course better
Dennis Lehane one of my favorite authors
I've read just about everything he has written
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 27th, 2021 at 5:11:25 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
I read the book
Of course better
Dennis Lehane one of my favorite authors
I've read just about everything he has written

I honestly did not know it was a book, I may have to check it out. I am not familiar with that author.
February 27th, 2021 at 2:03:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I never watched it when it first released because of the reviews.

The reviews were right, it sucked. I quit watching when
I realized what was going on. I hate those kind of
movies, like where strange things are happening to
the main character and you find out he has two
personalities and he's doing it all to himself. I don't
like authors who think they're tricky. It's why I didn't
like the Sixth Sense or The Others. Tricky crap.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 27th, 2021 at 5:34:06 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My wife is trying to get me to watch a movie called Office Space. Something about people working in cubicles. I lived that life twenty years ago, why would I want to watch it?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 27th, 2021 at 5:48:16 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: DRich
My wife is trying to get me to watch a movie called Office Space. Something about people working in cubicles. I lived that life twenty years ago, why would I want to watch it?

Because it’s funny.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 27th, 2021 at 6:04:24 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288
Because it’s funny.

I spent almost three years in a cubicle in the early 1990's, it was not funny. I was spoiled, in the 1980's at my very first job I had my own office with a private bathroom.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 28th, 2021 at 6:19:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich

I think in particular people who used to work in cubicles would find it the funniest,

Famous stapler scene. Actor is Steven Root playing the Beta-male Milton
March 6th, 2021 at 7:56:16 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Nomadland
Limited release in IMAX only
Saw it at Arizona Mills
I read the book so I am very familiar with some of the characters. I also spent a week in Quartzite where some of the movie takes place. It's a gorgeously filmed movie. The music is beautiful. The landscapes are breathtaking. The book is nonfiction but the main character in the movie, Fern, played by Frances Mcdormand is fictional. Linda May, Swankie and Bob Wells are real nomads and play themselves and do a fabulous job.
It's a pretty slow story. Slice of life.
I give it 7 out of 10. It may win best pic. It's a critics favorite. I think a streaming/theater release is good strategy because it probably won't make a lot of money so it won't be in theaters long. With it being on hulu in a few weeks, it will get a lot of exposure. It's very timely as people are losing their homes these days. I would be surprised if Frances wins best actress, not a lot of emotion displayed but the part is so real and down to earth.

They have Swankie who plays herself in the movie, pass away at the end of the movie. In real life Swankie still has cancer but is alive and was at the same Theatre last fri nite when the film opened to watch herself in the movie.

I have to disagree with the critics on this one. Several characters are real nomads playing themselves, but they are inserted into a fictional story. The film tries to be part drama and part documentary and in my opinion, fails at both. It kind of feels like a reality show that is manipulated a little too obviously. Even the pros look like amateurs. I give it 5 out of 10. I deducted a full point for Frances McDormand dropping trow and taking a piss on screen, not once but twice.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
March 7th, 2021 at 7:28:09 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
Nomadland
Limited release in IMAX only
Saw it at Arizona Mills
I read the book so I am very familiar with some of the characters. I also spent a week in Quartzite where some of the movie takes place. It's a gorgeously filmed movie. The music is beautiful. The landscapes are breathtaking. The book is nonfiction but the main character in the movie, Fern, played by Frances Mcdormand is fictional. Linda May, Swankie and Bob Wells are real nomads and play themselves and do a fabulous job.
It's a pretty slow story. Slice of life.
I give it 7 out of 10. It may win best pic. It's a critics favorite. I think a streaming/theater release is good strategy because it probably won't make a lot of money so it won't be in theaters long. With it being on hulu in a few weeks, it will get a lot of exposure. It's very timely as people are losing their homes these days. I would be surprised if Frances wins best actress, not a lot of emotion displayed but the part is so real and down to earth.

They have Swankie who plays herself in the movie, pass away at the end of the movie. In real life Swankie still has cancer but is alive and was at the same Theatre last fri nite when the film opened to watch herself in the movie.

I have to disagree with the critics on this one. Several characters are real nomads playing themselves, but they are inserted into a fictional story. The film tries to be part drama and part documentary and in my opinion, fails at both. It kind of feels like a reality show that is manipulated a little too obviously. Even the pros look like amateurs. I give it 5 out of 10. I deducted a full point for Frances McDormand dropping trow and taking a piss on screen, not once but twice.

Unfortunately Nomadland now censored in China
At first China seemed quite proud of the Chinese director, Cloe Zhao, who was born in Beijing.
Won the Golden globe for best director
Now an old interview has surfaced where she talked honestly about China and said she saw lies everywhere
It will be interesting if Hollywood stands up to China or backs down. Cloe Zhao just finished directing the Marvels big budget and hopefully blockbuster The Eternals. This movie is hoping for big China business.
Will China censor Marvels The Eternals
Will Cloe Zhao, Hollywoods hottest director, get support for more movies despite China's censorship
My personal hope is Hollywood will stand up to China in deciding which directors to hire
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"