What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

July 9th, 2021 at 3:31:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Pacomartin
These CGI heavy films are not big with critics, but if your bored they fill a few hours.

More directors probably need to get to building suspense or mind bending concepts through imagination of the viewer like old filmmakers, especially when the CGI is not especially realistic. Some scenes are super memorable and benefit by CGI like the first time you see someone bend backwards in The Matrix. But sometimes it is no more than a crutch and even detracts from the film.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2021 at 4:21:42 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Not bored, I just really enjoy reading and watching sci-fi, especially alien invasion flicks.
July 9th, 2021 at 4:26:05 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
Not bored, I just really enjoy reading and watching sci-fi, especially alien invasion flicks.

I love sci fi
except for alien invasion flicks
Its lazy sci fi
Its akin to monster movies
I'm looking forward to Foundation on Apple+
Hopefully they will do justice to my all time favorite sci fi book
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 9th, 2021 at 5:15:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: terapined
I love sci fi
except for alien invasion flicks
Its lazy sci fi
Its akin to monster movies
I'm looking forward to Foundation on Apple+
Hopefully they will do justice to my all time favorite sci fi book

I love most monster movies, usually beyond their merits of actual film making.

Didn’t you like The Invaders tv show?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2021 at 5:33:36 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4

It was ok. Worth watching if you like action sci-fi.
July 9th, 2021 at 6:53:50 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Would you say it was akin to the alien invasion flick "Battleship?"

Different plot, obviously, but the CGI, was it good/realistic?
July 9th, 2021 at 8:35:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: gamerfreak

Seriously? I wrote this in another thread the other day.

"The Tomorrow War on Prime. Chris Pratt. This movie is so bad it defies description. The acting is terrible, Chris Pratt cannot act. The whole thing is just awful."

One of the most awful movies I've seen in the last 10 years. I don't know why I watched it. Chris Pratt cannot act. I was actually warned at the start. There is a scene where Chris Pratt is falling through the atmosphere and he has a look on his face that I guess is supposed to be awe and terror. What he actually looks like is a 10 year old kid who just saw his first whale at SeaWorld. I said to myself don't watch any more of this, but like an idiot I did. Way too much CGI which means way too much expecting actors who can't act to look realistic in front of a green screen.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2021 at 7:11:08 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: Evenbob
Quote: gamerfreak

Seriously? I wrote this in another thread the other day.

"The Tomorrow War on Prime. Chris Pratt. This movie is so bad it defies description. The acting is terrible, Chris Pratt cannot act. The whole thing is just awful."

One of the most awful movies I've seen in the last 10 years. I don't know why I watched it. Chris Pratt cannot act. I was actually warned at the start. There is a scene where Chris Pratt is falling through the atmosphere and he has a look on his face that I guess is supposed to be awe and terror. What he actually looks like is a 10 year old kid who just saw his first whale at SeaWorld. I said to myself don't watch any more of this, but like an idiot I did. Way too much CGI which means way too much expecting actors who can't act to look realistic in front of a green screen.

I agree it wasn’t a great movie. I probably rate movies on a fairly steep curve. I watch almost everything new that comes out and average maybe 10 movies a week. Sometimes there are movies that I regret watching but this wasn’t one of those. I would probably give it a 5 or 6 out of 10. It was a stupid but fun action movie which is sometimes all I want.

I think the “white spikes” and CGI overall was done much better than most alien movies.

I know what you mean about Chris Pratt. He has always had problems emoting and always has that stupid confused look on his face.

My biggest problem with the movie was the lazy writing. It was one of those movies where you are wondering “why didn’t they just…” the entire time.
July 13th, 2021 at 2:15:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: ams288
I’m seeing Black Widow tomorrow night.

Don’t have very high expectations.

She’s dead - died in Avengers: Endgame. Not a fan of prequels.

Did you like it?
July 13th, 2021 at 2:24:34 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: rxwine
Did you like it?

Yeah, it was fine. The real reason to see it is Florence Pugh as her sister, she stole the show:

I suspect we will be seeing a lot more of her in future Marvel projects.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman