What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

August 18th, 2021 at 7:47:16 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
TLDR
You wrote this?
You should work for IMDB
Just give us a thumbs up or down
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 18th, 2021 at 7:51:11 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I loved James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad. Hated the 2016 one.

To each his own.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 18th, 2021 at 7:52:39 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
TLDR
You wrote this?
You should work for IMDB
Just give us a thumbs up or down

How do you know if the review is even any good if you didn't read it? Perhaps working for IMDB is the last thing I should ever do!

I'm about to do proper writing work, so something like this is kind of my way of, 'Warming up.'

The movie sucked and is the worst movie I have ever seen in theaters; it's not close.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
August 18th, 2021 at 8:14:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I've been seeing Suicide Squad come up on my free movie cable list, but haven't watched it as yet.

Finally watched "The French Connection". Although Gene Hackman is a way better actor than Charles Bronson, the early part of the movie was giving me "Super bad ass cop who nobody can take down vibes", and I was starting to feel it was just a watch bad people get beat down. There's also some unrealistic chases. Gene Hackman looks like no Olympic athlete, but he can sure run like one. And it also feels somewhat dated in other ways.

HOWEVER, the last third of the movie somehow caught my interest finally. Finally felt worth watching. But I don't know exactly why. Perhaps the character action got tighter and tension higher as things wound out to the end.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 18th, 2021 at 8:17:44 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
I've been seeing Suicide Squad come up on my free movie cable list, but haven't watched it as yet.

Finally watched "The French Connection". Although Gene Hackman is a way better actor than Charles Bronson, the early part of the movie was giving me "Super bad ass cop who nobody can take down vibes", and I was starting to feel it was just a watch bad people get beat down. There's also some unrealistic chases. Gene Hackman looks like no Olympic athlete, but he can sure run like one. And it also feels somewhat dated in other ways.

HOWEVER, the last third of the movie somehow caught my interest finally. Finally felt worth watching. But I don't know exactly why. Perhaps the character action got tighter and tension higher as things wound out to the end.

The ticket was $9-something as opposed to you getting the movie for no extra cost, but how can you put a value on the time that you'll never get back?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
August 18th, 2021 at 8:24:11 AM permalink
rxwine
Sounds like Suicide Squad has about a 50% chance I won't be able to watch it to the end. But I've got quite a few movies I never get the end.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 18th, 2021 at 8:27:19 AM permalink
rxwine
Btw, I only go to the theaters if (1) someone else really wants me to go with them, or (2) the movie is suppose to benefit from being a spectacle on the BIG SCREEN.
August 18th, 2021 at 8:31:24 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
Btw, I only go to the theaters if (1) someone else really wants me to go with them, or (2) the movie is suppose to benefit from being a spectacle on the BIG SCREEN.

(1) was the case and I assume that (2) makes this movie slightly less bad than it otherwise might have been.
August 18th, 2021 at 8:54:56 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
I don’t have the time to be nearly as verbose, but I completely disagree with your review. I’d give the movie a solid 7/10

I also would give birds of prey 7/10
August 18th, 2021 at 9:24:11 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: gamerfreak
I don’t have the time to be nearly as verbose, but I completely disagree with your review. I’d give the movie a solid 7/10

I also would give birds of prey 7/10

I'd put Birds of Prey into the 5-7 out of 10 range. Personally, I'd probably give it about a 5.5 and the Huntress character accounts for three of those points.