What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

December 17th, 2022 at 10:41:37 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
There’s a scene in Avatar 2 where a hated character loses an arm.

I’ve never heard an audience applaud so loud at a dismemberment!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 17th, 2022 at 12:49:29 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: ams288
There’s a scene in Avatar 2 where a hated character loses an arm.

I’ve never heard an audience applaud so loud at a dismemberment!

In 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' the audience cheered when Jack Nicholson's character was choking the hated head nurse and it looked like she was going to die.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 16th, 2023 at 5:23:10 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Saw Avatar 2 over the weekend. Enjoyed well enough. Better than the first, IMO. Very long. But like the first, seeing it once was enough for me. Actually I could have missed the first one and wouldn't mind.

There are some movies, when they show up on TV, sometimes I will wait until at least one particular scene I remember, and watch that again, but I can't think of any scene in this movie like that though it is a spectacle in many ways.

Did I mention it was long.

It was long.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 16th, 2023 at 5:58:21 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
The Menu (2022) on HBO Max. Loved it. One of the best movies I have seen in a while. Maybe not the “best” objectively but certainly my favorite.

It’s a psychological thriller / horror / dark comedy. I’ll leave it at that. It’s best to go in blind.
January 16th, 2023 at 12:36:03 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: gamerfreak
The Menu (2022) on HBO Max. Loved it. One of the best movies I have seen in a while. Maybe not the “best” objectively but certainly my favorite.

It’s a psychological thriller / horror / dark comedy. I’ll leave it at that. It’s best to go in blind.

Strange and bizarre
The chef was right, guys should have tried harder
I'd be gouging out eyes and fighting dirty
The 45 second head start, I'd be looking for weapons
Wooden club would do nicely
I thought the ending was a bit absurd
Loved Anya Taylor-Joy. Best character in the movie. Hated the guy she was with.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 16th, 2023 at 5:03:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: kenarman
In 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' the audience cheered when Jack Nicholson's character was choking the hated head nurse and it looked like she was going to die.
Was that nurse Ratched?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 16th, 2023 at 5:25:35 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
Was that nurse Ratched?

Yes
One of my all time favorite books
I had Ken Kesey sign a copy when I met him.
Based on a mental institution that Ken kesey actually worked at. It was really great that they filmed the movie at that same institution.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 16th, 2023 at 6:29:46 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
I have liked Matrix Resurrections, Beyond the Infinite 2 minutes, Bill and Ted Face The Music, Vivarium, Black Phone, Bliss, John Dies At the End.

The Fare I give the most mention to recommend. It was much better with time than I knew at the time watching it. The acting was kind of bad, but the story was solid.
January 17th, 2023 at 2:22:27 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: terapined
Yes
One of my all time favorite books
I had Ken Kesey sign a copy when I met him.
Based on a mental institution that Ken kesey actually worked at. It was really great that they filmed the movie at that same institution.
It was a time when in the US we were finally realizing that putting absolutely everybody into mental institutions including those who were just a little off wasn't really humane. There are places in the country where big collections of buildings are still empty, that used to house all these people.

I often wonder if the book/movie was actually very influential in this regard.

Ironically, you can't say the people were wrong who told us if we closed down these places, we'd have a huge homeless problem.

As a final thought, it wasn't fair to the nurses or the doctors or other workers either, to try to control these people without going crazy themselves. Naturally they turned to what instruments and methods they knew about. You can't defend the Nurse Ratched types, but you can see how they would naturally develop.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 17th, 2023 at 12:09:22 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: terapined
Strange and bizarre
The chef was right, guys should have tried harder
I'd be gouging out eyes and fighting dirty
The 45 second head start, I'd be looking for weapons
Wooden club would do nicely
I thought the ending was a bit absurd
Loved Anya Taylor-Joy. Best character in the movie. Hated the guy she was with.

It wasn’t a perfect film by any means. But overall it was great.

didn’t like the Chef’s reason for killing the actor and his assistant. He simply didn’t like his movie. The guy had much more legitimate reasons to loathe all of the other customers.

I didn’t get why the chefs assistant wanted to kill the girl.

But the lack of trying to escape I think made sense. It was kind of the point. They are all so rich and snotty and dependent on others that they are literally unable to help or think for themselves. By the end they were so beat down mentally that I don’t think they had any will to fight.