Crimean peninsula

Page 2 of 5<12345>
March 6th, 2014 at 1:59:43 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Wizard
I've seen a lot of maps of Crimea on the news lately and a little piece on the west coast is always discolored. The major city in this part of Crimea is Sevastopol. Does this little part of Crimea belong to Ukraine, Russia, somebody else, under dispute, or is it an independent state?

Somebody alert Paco.

Is it still called that? And btw, did anyone really think Russia was going to walk away from the Crimea?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 6th, 2014 at 2:58:19 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Sevastapol is a City with Special Status, and separate from the Autonomous Republic of Crimea. Both are part of the Ukraine. Sevastapol houses the Russian Black Sea fleet, so there is some sharing of navy facilities in the city. Kiev is also a city with special status in the Ukraine.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 6th, 2014 at 3:53:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Does this little part of Crimea belong to Ukraine, Russia, somebody else, under dispute, or is it an independent state?

The City of Sevastopol is Ukrainian (as of today), but it has the highest percentage of Russian ethnicity in the country.

The Naval bases were under dispute, as Russia claimed that they should remain Russian.
This claim was relinquished in the 1997 bilateral Peace and Friendship Treaty, which confirmed that both the Crimea and Sevastopol belong to Ukraine. A separate agreement established the terms of a long-term lease of land, facilities, and resources in Sevastopol and the Crimea by Russia.

Most countries (especially in Europe) have regions of "special status". In the USA the Federal District had "special status" until relatively recently. It now has a mayor. Canada has Nunavit.

These autonomous regions (like Sardinia, Sicily, Basque Country, etc.) are usually regions with some special history that makes them different than the rest of the country. Sevastopol has "special status" in the Ukraine.
March 6th, 2014 at 5:34:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
In the USA the Federal District had "special status" until relatively recently. It now has a mayor.

What is this "Federal District" you are referring to? If DC, then what about it changed recently?

Quote:
Sevastopol has "special status" in the Ukraine.

Thanks. However, when people draw a map of Spain they generally don't discolor the Basque or Catalan parts. If forced to make a comparison, could we look at it like Guantanamo Bay to Cuba?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 6th, 2014 at 7:06:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
What is this "Federal District" you are referring to? If DC, then what about it changed recently?

Washington DC is the name of the federal district. Many countries have a federal district (including Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela, Russia, Malaysia, and Pakistan).

On December 24, 1973, Congress enacted the District of Columbia Home Rule Act, providing for an elected mayor and the 13-member Council of the District of Columbia. Each of the city's eight wards elects a single member of the council and five members, including the chairman, are elected at large.

The home rule government has many restrictions, including not taxing commuters, not messing with the 130' building height limit, passing an unbalanced budget, etc.

Thanks. However, when people draw a map of Spain they generally don't discolor the Basque or Catalan parts. If forced to make a comparison, could we look at it like Guantanamo Bay to Cuba?

The Autonomous Republic of Crimea is governed by the Constitution of Crimea in accordance with the laws of Ukraine. The City of Sevastopol is administratively separate from the autonomous republic.

I think G-tmo is a bit strong since they don't respect any of Cuba's laws there. I would think Hong Kong or Macau would be closer.

4 national cities, 5 autonomous regions, 2 special administrative regions, and provinces
March 6th, 2014 at 7:24:24 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
The Autonomous Republic of Crimea is governed by the Constitution of Crimea in accordance with the laws of Ukraine. The City of Sevastopol is administratively separate from the autonomous republic.

Can you compare and contrast the license plates of general Ukraine, the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, and Sevastopol?
March 6th, 2014 at 7:57:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
March 7th, 2014 at 10:54:02 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote:

I -think- it's because the current situation is over the Autonomous region. I would suspect if the Crimea becomes a new Russian province, the status of Sevastapol will also change.

It's like when you draw a picture of Maryland, you discolor the part that is Washington DC (he says hoping he has his US states lined up correctly).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 7th, 2014 at 2:35:39 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: TheCesspit
It's like when you draw a picture of Maryland, you discolor the part that is Washington DC (he says hoping he has his US states lined up correctly).

I admit my GTMO Bay example was a lousy one, but I would never use a different color for DC than the rest of the country if making a simple map illustrating the borders of the country. As near as I can tell, DC is run like a state, but without representation in Congress.
March 7th, 2014 at 2:50:46 PM permalink
TheCesspit
I admit my GTMO Bay example was a lousy one, but I would never use a different color for DC than the rest of the country if making a simple map illustrating the borders of the country. As near as I can tell, DC is run like a state, but without representation in Congress.

The maps I've seen are highlighting only the Crimea rather than the whole of the Ukraine, which might be my confusion here.
Page 2 of 5<12345>