March 21st, 2014 at 7:59:57 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Hillary and Kerry just did. j/k
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
March 21st, 2014 at 8:09:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
If/when the Crimeans begin to chafe under Putin, do you think he'd honor a referendum for independence, or for returnign to Ukraine?

If you do, I have this bridge I might be persuaded to sell.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 21st, 2014 at 8:38:42 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
/sigh. I have no idea what this thread is about. The only way I even knew what Crimea was is because it's a landmark I use in flight combat sims to notify me when I'm almost to Russia =/

Always so much to learn....
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 21st, 2014 at 9:15:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
Always so much to learn....

Ukraine was an independent state for only 5 years (1917-1922), but under the Soviet Union Russia enforced some policies that resulted in the starvation of up to 10 million people in one year (called genocide by the Ukrainian parliament). They declared independence in 1990, enacted it in 1991. Just after independence Ukraine began losing population through a combination of low fertility, emigration, abortion, and poor health. It is now one of the most severely depopulating countries on earth with the same population in 2014 that it had in 1963. US projections are for them to lose another 25% by 2050.

The Crimean peninsula is the second most developed place in the Ukraine (outside of Kiev) and has mostly ethnic Russians. There is a short ferry connecting Crimea to Russia, but most people use a longer road through Ukrainian territory.

The most obvious reaction for the Ukraine is to apply to the European Union. Even if they are not accepted, it will cement their status in Europe as an independent nation. Russia may respond to this by encouraging similar referendums in other states with large Russian minorities.
March 21st, 2014 at 4:11:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
The Russian's are a strange people, very clannish.
I saw a man on the street survey in NYC this week
of Russian immigrants, and 90% of them were totally
for Putin. They love him and his macho Russian
attitude. This has to be mirrored in Russia itself.

Of course they do, Putin is an unapologetic patriot and a successful leader. He is a "manly man" not a feminized man like so many men in the west, right up to and including our current POTUS. Such personalities attract followers.
The President is a fink.
March 21st, 2014 at 4:15:01 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs
Wiz,

Absolutely love that idea. "Sell" them Crimea for the debt; way to make lemonade! The Ukraine did sign an economic trade pact with the EU this morning, drawing them closer to that community and by inference, away from Russia. The one to watch for is if they try to join NATO, and whether anyone suggests that would be a good idea.

We should have let them join in the 1990s, when Russia was on her back. Now it is not going to happen. If we talk about it you can be assured that Iran will have a sudden "breakthrough" in their missile and nuke programs. Or something else like it. Putin knows how to play the game of nations.
The President is a fink.
March 21st, 2014 at 8:49:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Why are my posts about Mila Kunis disappearing
with no explanation? She's relevant, she's from
Crimea.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 21st, 2014 at 10:27:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Why are my posts about Mila Kunis disappearing with no explanation? She's relevant, she's from Crimea.

She was born in Ukraine, 20 miles from Romania. She is not Crimean. Your post is still there.

The Ukraine has some of the most beautiful women in the world. Mila Kunis, from That 70's Show, is from Ukraine. That's reason enough to want it back.

Many of the attractive photos of celebrities are copyrighted and if you post them in forums they vanish after a while. You can post photos from Wikipedia.

March 21st, 2014 at 10:56:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Many of the attractive photos of celebrities are copyrighted

On a not for profit site you can post them under
the 'fair use' law. Also, they disappeared almost
right away. 2nd also, my whole post went away,
not just the pic.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 11th, 2014 at 12:58:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin

This map of the Oblasts ranked by percent that use Ukrainian language in schools is interesting. Crimea is the lowest at 8%.
It is clear that Russia may take the easternmost provinces as well, using a similar voting procedure. But access to the Crimea via the ferry on the small straight to the East is very difficult.

Do you think that Russia will try to negotiate passage through Ukraine, or will it take a contiguous territory? The next worse scenario is that Russia will take all oblasts bordering on the Black Sea.
Page 4 of 5<12345>