Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

June 25th, 2015 at 8:04:53 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Face
I have yet to feel a snake bite.
I think most people don't worry much about teeth but more about fangs and venom and stuff like that.

rasberry thorns? I remember Jonbenet Ramsey asking 'do roses know their thorns hurt' but in nature its just as easy to ask "do thorns know that roses are beautiful".

>>>It was supposed to be two of us holding, but the other guy bailed as soon as it was on me. I had to hold it by myself,
Yeah, that is like a little kid getting off a see-saw suddenly so the other kid falls and hits his butt real hard. I guess you should never trust someone else to help support a snake unless there is no way he can bail.
June 25th, 2015 at 9:47:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
He's 6. Proud dad moment =)

Do you tell him he's a semi-famous fisherman already? Hey, I recognize him. Those are some nice fish.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 26th, 2015 at 6:59:37 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
He's 6. Proud dad moment =)

you betcha!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 26th, 2015 at 1:37:53 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
Do you tell him he's a semi-famous fisherman already? Hey, I recognize him. Those are some nice fish.

He's already a legend in his own mind. It wouldn't surprise him at all. About the time we lit into the smallies he exclaimed "I was born for this!" I had to laugh. I have no idea where that came from =)

I'm just glad it all worked out getting him into it. I should write a book. It went exactly how I planned =)

I'm also glad that he "has something" now. He's not all that good at sports. I know he's just 6, but even amongst the others his age, he just doesn't "have it". That's probably my fault for letting him stay with grandma for so long, but it was worrying me. Not so much that he wasn't looking to be an athlete; despite my own history with it, I wasn't looking to make him a carbon copy of myself. In fact, if he never had a taste for football his whole life, I'd probably sleep better at night knowing all the problems I had and am still dealing with wouldn't be a part of his life.

But a boy needs something. A skill, a talent, a passion. I don't care if it was painting flowers or tap dancing, it just had to be something. Something he can call his own, something to build confidence, self esteem, and self worth. I guess I feel that all kids are a ticking time bomb. I figure I got about 6-8 more years until he hates me and withdraws into the self imposed self seclusion that is the pubescent teens, and he needs something "his own" to lean on when he temporarily kicks dad out of his life. Waiting until then is too late. It needs to already be there, strong, unable to ignore. Something to hold him in place when he's being pushed off the path.

This is one. Hopefully the first of many. The more blocks of protection I can stack up, the better. Kids need all the help they can get.

He's also already a hell of a driver. Who the hell can park a boat their first try, especially at 6? If dad can get his shit together, he's already been talking about racing and wants to do it asap. Perhaps "Karting with the Kid" ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 26th, 2015 at 1:59:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I don't think I ever heard any family with lots of kids say they all have the same talent for something. (there might be a few exceptions) So consider, you kinda just observe inclinations and ability.

Of course, to some parents consternation, kids can get interested in the "one" thing the parent is not enthused about.

(I can think of families with more than one person good at something and yet there is usually one or more who should be not be the same thing. (I'm sure La Toya could have been really good at something, just what is the question)

When I first got on a skateboard, I would have never imagined there'd be money in it one day for some good enough. Nor would I guessed playing a video game as a professional could make you a lot of money. That's been done.

Maybe they said the same about chess, one time.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 26th, 2015 at 9:44:44 PM permalink
Fleastiff
skateboarding, sailing, living with bears, throwing frizbees, running five marathons for product endorsements,... I've always figured that drug dealers owe a great debt to those boring schools and boring teachers. Its the chess players who turn down drugs. Its the guy who sails from florida to bermuda alone as a teenager that turns down drugs, same thing with fishermen, hunters, etc. a guy who gets a model tee and a set of tools already has a thrill he doesn't need heroin. colleges offer degrees in game design and comic production. create enough garbage about vampires, buffy and the count... you get rich.
July 14th, 2015 at 2:17:47 AM permalink
Fleastiff
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3160068/Terrifying-looking-fish-species-lurking-near-newly-discovered-undersea-volcano-coast-Sydney.html

In "the ditch" (tasman sea) about 159 miles east of Sydney, Australia some really scary fish have been found around four newly discovered volcanoes.
July 14th, 2015 at 1:47:41 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Fleastiff
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3160068/Terrifying-looking-fish-species-lurking-near-newly-discovered-undersea-volcano-coast-Sydney.html

In "the ditch" (tasman sea) about 159 miles east of Sydney, Australia some really scary fish have been found around four newly discovered volcanoes.

Ugly but have good taste [they like lobster]
July 23rd, 2015 at 7:30:25 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Man, my kid... he's really coming along. Yesterday we went for crays and minnows in prep for our newest addition (more later), and also because I wanted to go fishing today and could use the help gathering bait =p Something in him changed and he was much more into it. Previously, he sort of swept his net in the water futilely while I did the catching, and he'd take my catch by cup from me to the bucket so I didn't have to stop. Not this time. This time he was hot on it. He was actually catching minnows by net. And not just the juvies, but fully grown adults. Not even I can do that. No longer was he skittish about the craws, he wanted to touch them. I caught a number who had just molted, he wanted to feel the difference. And of the approximately 27 we came home, he caught about 20 of them. Yes. He caught them. Many completely by himself. He found them, lifted the rock without killing/scaring them away, netted them, put them in the bucket. Maybe, just maybe, by the end of the year I can just give him two nets and a bucket, and I can lay in the shade with a beer or 6 and just wait ;)

While there he got startled by a huge commotion, as a great heron swooped into one of our holes. It's pretty rare to get anywhere remotely close to one of these, but we managed to get within 70' or so. He's never seen a bird bigger than himself, and many questions were posed. I thought it was neat, too. It may have been the closest I ever got to one.

But anyways, the new addition. I've kind of turned into an odd version of the cat lady. I currently have 27 craws and 75 fish in various tanks in my house. No, that's not a typo. Over 100 specimens are currently living with me right now. It's enough to be talked about, so now everyone who has fish and either is tired of the work or have fish that have gotten too big come to me.

My goalie had a gar that had gotten too big for his tank, so he asked if I would take it. And of course I would, because obviously ;) So after a bit a pre-adoption questioning, I learned he's had it for three years, got it at about 5" length, and now it was pushing 12". The first thing I asked upon arriving is if he wanted me to buy him a ruler. It's almost two feet long ><

The swap went perfectly. Of course, I could've just grabbed it up and plopped it in the front seat with me, as gar can breathe air. But I did my typical transfer rigamarole and he settled into the new tank with no stress at all. We sort of watched it a bit, but it just did what gars do. It just sat. It would crawl a few inches here or there, using its fins a bit like legs, but other than that, it appeared to search for a comfy position and just mellowed out. We left it be.

I of course kept checking on it, because it's new and I didn't want to miss anything. Time after time, it was just laying there. Here flat on the rocks. Next with its head up in the tree. Now with its head resting on the glass. OK, that's fine.

I took the kid to grandma's and returned after dark. Now it was suspended and swimming around. OK, this is new. Let's see what happens. And happen it did. They are oddly fast. Not in a burst like the bass, with mouth agape and gills flared. They're like electric fast. Just a quick jerk with almost no pomp and pageantry. You can feel it when you hold them, too, just lightning quick spasms. Well, he did one of those so fast I didn't see it, and in his toothy jaw he held the biggest chub in the tank. One so big even the bass didn't have a go at it.

Well, shit. Now what? I just got the thing and now I'm gonna hafta Heimlich this giant chub out of its gullet. It was very close to being as wide around as the gar itself. Great.

So I watch, and the chub (a hearty fellow itself) is swimming for all its worth, or trying to, anyway. Then the bass, powerless to pass up an easy meal, moves in and chomps onto the gar. Double great. But the gar? As they say on the interwebs, "zero f#$%s were given". It didn't tense, didn't fight. It just got pushed by the bass on one end, pulled by the chub on the other, and just waited. The bass let go and retreated into the trees. Then the gar got to work. Those lightning fast reflexes kicked in and it would release, twitch, then bite down again, moving up the chub's body. After a minute, he had it by the head. I'm looking at this fat chub, nearly as wide as the gar itself, then at the gars needle point mouth. This can't happen. How could it happen?

But sure enough, he stretched open wide and somehow crammed it down its gullet. I was too unawares to have the camera ready, and then too enthralled to get a good pic, but I'll have one next time. I'm gonna let them chill for several days without food and then get some coverage of them in action. Watching these things go to town is better than any TV out there =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 24th, 2015 at 1:11:20 PM permalink
odiousgambit
the gar: those things can get big down south

your tanks: when you get an octopus I'll come see all this stuff