Fishing With Face

May 22nd, 2016 at 5:56:41 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 61
Posts: 3322
Quote: odiousgambit
you mean longitude? would that matter? I think I am several hundred miles south of you


I meant lat. I think lol. N/S, anyways.

And yeah, you're south. The way I divvy up the states, at least when concerning weather, makes it about four "zones". I guess looking at it, you would be in one south of me as opposed to in "mine". But it's close enough for this case.

And it depends on what you mean by "matter". Fish aren't unlike trees; everything is dependent on weather. Temp, amount of sun, amount of precip, that's the game you play. For smallies, I'd say the very cusp is when the water starts into the high 40s. That's generally April around here, but it can obviously vary hugely. All the signs I've become accustomed to are here, right now. I'm wearing no more than a hoody, yet down to shorts and tank. Leaves are budding or blooming, but most of the flowers have come and gone. The cottonwood hasn't fallen. The guys on the lake are in 6' instead of 30'+. "End of school" hasn't yet entered consciousness. It's basically the same stuff our ancestors did watching fishing birds, only the signs have evolved. And right now, at least for here, is right in the meat of it.

Of course, I'm talking a pretty specific type of fishing. You can have smallies from now until Nov, with the right equipment. But for HOT action right in the shallow cricks, now is the time. Soon they'll all be filled with suckers and chubs, and the smallies head for cooler water. My crick ain't deep so that means the lake, so my deep summer fishing, at least the kind I can do by foot, is drying up.


Quote: OG
I'm never sure you keep any fish. Do you? I like to come back with one nice fish, but often throw all back.


I sort of started again once I had the boat. I no longer had the limitations I impose on myself when doing ponds and such. But even then, it's pretty rare. I only ever keep when perch fishing with Jonny L, and even those times it's not always a "must keep". Thing with those though is they turn inside out because of the rapid pressure change. It's gonna die anyways, might as well eat free.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 22nd, 2016 at 8:23:01 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 61
Posts: 3322
In the racing thread, I mentioned spacing out to some robins. As this is also sort of the nature thread, I thought I'd share it here.

So I was on the porch washing my paint pot, and I have a nest up in the rafters of the porch roof. Don't pay much attention to it, I've seen birds before. But since I sat in one place for so long, they got comfortable and I got to SEE them. Hell, why not plop to GoPro up there?

I did so and just watched, it was kind of cool. Mama would show up with a full beak and the babes would go nuts. Chirpin' and thrashin' until she was done, then bang, she was right back out. She would always drop out the roof and blaze across the yard a foot off the ground until the giant maple out back where she'd perch for a sec. Quick scout and she dropped into the yard. You know how arctic foxes will jump up and "dive" into the snow, to break through the pack? Bird did the same damn thing. It'd hop around peering into the ground, then jump, dive, right into the dirt. Sure enough, it always came out with a worm or grub. How do they know? They pick up slight movements of the grass or something? It was pretty wild to watch.

Pops was comin' and goin' too, though he blazed right over the yard and over the cliff out back. Both did the same thing everytime. Mama to the maple, pops over the cliff. Over and over and over. Funny the near misses when one takes off just as one comes back. Ain't never seen a robin hover before, but damned if he didn't pull it off.

I dunno. No huge drama, but I thought it was a cool thing to share.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 23rd, 2016 at 1:22:34 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 85
Posts: 1587
These guys caught a 347 lb. grouper off of Florida. http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/144062255-story

It makes me feel kind of sad. Fish that big should be allowed to cruise... especially when they can do this:

May 23rd, 2016 at 2:11:31 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 61
Posts: 3322
Gawd almighty. It could've ate one of those kids standing by it!

I think I've made cleer my thoughts on trophy hunting, BUT... I can see a bit different in these cases. Big fish tourneys are keep, cuz ain't no way to keep them alive. As far as I know, all of these fish do get used. The fact they had a fish house to donate to is good, in my book.

Plus,... I dunno. It's one thing to talk "trophy". With a pic and a tape measure, you can both have it on your wall AND release it alive. There's just no reason to keep a monster. BUT, we're talking record. In the case of records, it is scrutinized to death. There is zero, none, no chance of getting a record if you don't have the fish.

If I catch a monster (and I have) it's going back (and every single one has). But if I ever catch a record... sorry. I need to be in that book =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 23rd, 2016 at 2:17:34 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 85
Posts: 1587
Quote: Face
Gawd almighty. It could've ate one of those kids standing by it!

I think I've made cleer my thoughts on trophy hunting, BUT... I can see a bit different in these cases. Big fish tourneys are keep, cuz ain't no way to keep them alive. As far as I know, all of these fish do get used. The fact they had a fish house to donate to is good, in my book.

Plus,... I dunno. It's one thing to talk "trophy". With a pic and a tape measure, you can both have it on your wall AND release it alive. There's just no reason to keep a monster. BUT, we're talking record. In the case of records, it is scrutinized to death. There is zero, none, no chance of getting a record if you don't have the fish.

If I catch a monster (and I have) it's going back (and every single one has). But if I ever catch a record... sorry. I need to be in that book =p


I understand the glory, but the fish was a "tournament" record, not a "world" record. I can understand the keep for the ten grand prize, but still, it makes me sad since it seems more like hoisting an anchor, than fighting a "sport" fish.
May 23rd, 2016 at 9:34:13 PM permalink
DRich
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 22
Posts: 1006
Quote: Face
I only ever keep when perch fishing with Jonny L, and even those times it's not always a "must keep".


I am so jealous. Lake perch is my favorite fish to eat. Growing up on Lake Erie there would be days when we would get 50 perch each. The limit was 50 a person and when we caught more we would start throwing back the smaller ones. It was all good until you had to clean 200 fish.
May 25th, 2016 at 10:49:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 132
Posts: 6597
I occasionally follow the suggested links in the sidebar on YouTube. Tonight I ventured into several videos of fishermen being harassed, sometimes simply for being in the water fishing in front of someone's home.

Some of it could be legit, because I don't know the laws. Some sure seemed like loon behavior though.
Nobody learned anything from the global financial crisis.
May 26th, 2016 at 11:11:24 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 61
Posts: 3322
Quote: DRich
I am so jealous. Lake perch is my favorite fish to eat. Growing up on Lake Erie there would be days when we would get 50 perch each. The limit was 50 a person and when we caught more we would start throwing back the smaller ones. It was all good until you had to clean 200 fish.


Well, if you're ever in the area... =)

Quote: rxwine
I occasionally follow the suggested links in the sidebar on YouTube. Tonight I ventured into several videos of fishermen being harassed, sometimes simply for being in the water fishing in front of someone's home.

Some of it could be legit, because I don't know the laws. Some sure seemed like loon behavior though.


It's a shame. In my youth, trespassing resulted in a smile and a wave, perhaps an admonishment to be careful.

The laws are very wonky. I imagine they vary township to township, but they also vary by body. Cricks are the worst, as you also have trespassing worries just getting to the water. But once there, your worries don't end. Some of the small streams like those that I fish for trout and crayfish, the landowner basically runs the crick. He can't dam, dredge, or affect it in any way, but he "owns" it if it falls into his property. He could (and some do) post up and just wait, kicking everyone out he sees. I hate those people.

Rivers and lakes are a bit different. Generally, landowners have some sort of "possession", usually a certain number of feet from shore. However, it's "LANDowner". As such, you are forbidden from, say, wading his footage and digging for clams. But, you are free as can be to float and fish that very same water. On foot = trespassing. By boat = kiss my ass.

I never will understand the "loons". I have spots, some of them I have put actual work into to make good, like moving log jams or root balls. The only time I would ever have a negative feeling is if I planned to fish "my spot" and someone was already there. The other 142hrs a week, have at it! Just gimme a smile and a wave, maybe share a story with me.

If someone buzzed my boat and harassed me while fishing just because I was casting at his dock, he'd be finding a big ol' dumper on that very same dock the next morning =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 27th, 2016 at 8:54:19 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Member since: Oct 28, 2012
Threads: 92
Posts: 2313
Quote: Face
Cricks are the worst, as you also have trespassing worries just getting to the water.


I disavow any knowledge of my actions!

Got my hook in the water a couple of days ago. The red-eye rock bass were really hitting the worms; I finally switched to a 'swimmer' lure and got three smallies in a row to hit. A bit too small to keep. A couple of the rock bass were bigger than usual [seems like they don't get too big] and I actually kept one to eat. I never hear about anyone eating them, I'll have to let you know how that goes.
Mustard:You like Kipling, Miss Scarlet? Sure, I'll eat anything [from movie]
May 27th, 2016 at 4:06:44 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 61
Posts: 3322
Quote: odiousgambit
I disavow any knowledge of my actions!

Got my hook in the water a couple of days ago. The red-eye rock bass were really hitting the worms; I finally switched to a 'swimmer' lure and got three smallies in a row to hit. A bit too small to keep. A couple of the rock bass were bigger than usual [seems like they don't get too big] and I actually kept one to eat. I never hear about anyone eating them, I'll have to let you know how that goes.


I still trespass, too =p Granted, I define trespassing as entering private property without permission, even if said private property is completely abandoned. But it happens. I treat it as I do my illegal fishing activities. I'm doing something wrong, but not for the express purpose of doing a wrong thing. And while I do it, I'll be doing a whole lotta good as I go, usually by removing trash. Whatever, I sleep just fine =p

I wish I had a rockie spot. I don't know anywhere around here that can be accessed by foot. All my catches of them happen in 15' - 20' =/

No word on their taste. I wouldn't expect it to be like perch or walleye, but probably similar to the panfish you already eat. Bluegill, rockie, smallies, they're all the same Family (scientific). Doubt you'll tell the difference.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.