Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

March 24th, 2018 at 1:34:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
There's a short part of the video where he seems to be baiting it with something. Small bits in the hole as well as through the tube.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 25th, 2018 at 4:26:20 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
It's easy to see how the video would show catching a lot more fish than can really be caught this way. Gee, how could that be done?

The crabs bother me. It just doesn't look like a place where you get crabs. I could be wrong. And the fish: nice big ones!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 25th, 2018 at 4:54:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
It just doesn't look like a place where you get crabs.!

This is where you're guaranteed to
get giant crabs..

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 26th, 2018 at 2:19:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
It's easy to see how the video would show catching a lot more fish than can really be caught this way. Gee, how could that be done?

The crabs bother me. It just doesn't look like a place where you get crabs. I could be wrong. And the fish: nice big ones!

Hah, I didn't really think about it being hype. But I suppose it could be. I just thought it was some Southeast Asia style of fish trapping.

It seemed no odder than much else on YT. A lot less, actually.

Fish coming out of water for bait seemed no more unusual than non-aquatic animals who fish, sticking their head in the water. I even reasoned the ridges inside bamboo are what help the fish get stuck, whereas a smooth tube might not work.

I pretty much thought crabs are about everywhere there is water

EDIT == also, I noticed what I thought might be a useful feature of that trap, is he covered it with branches and leaves. Fish think they're safe entering a shady covered area. Of course, it could be to hide from other people.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 27th, 2018 at 3:22:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I am willing to bet the fish trap works pretty good, but that the results were exaggerated with some additions off-camera .

crabs are definitely saltwater only. Brackish probably is OK I am going to 'sort-of' defend that statement in that if you run into such a thing, be surprised. Looked it up, I was wrong to think there were no exceptions. Come to think of it there are land crabs too, hermit crabs etc, but do they need to breed in water? almost for sure I think.

Quote: link
[freshwater types] tend to be endemic to small areas. As a result, a large proportion are threatened with extinction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freshwater_crab
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 8th, 2018 at 11:57:21 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Do fish have anything to fear from Face this year, or did he fall in love?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 8th, 2018 at 12:45:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph

He hasn't posted in 3 weeks, he's in love.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 8th, 2018 at 2:04:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
He hasn't posted in 3 weeks, he's in love.
If they really liked fishing, you wouldn't have to do all the rigging.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 11th, 2018 at 5:17:31 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph

Pah.

Things are just off, nothing more. Weather set up just perfect to ruin most of the crick fishing. Missed pretty much entire trout run and just about ditto for the smallmouth. The few times I got out were past season and still in poor conditions and not much has happened. Add to it the loss of Photobucket making a picture show more difficult and my damnable dog that can't be let loose, and my whole system is off.

I have been out tons, but in a different vein. I'm on like v3.6 with my pond and most of my outdoors time has been with that as the purpose. I'm at the crick minimum twice a week, but it's all casting seine, setting traps, and searching under rocks, as opposed to fishing for game fish, or "fishing" at all. I dug it out both deeper and wider, must have some 15-20 "permanent" fish and anywhere from 0 - 130 temps. Crayfish and logs, water hyacinth, I even dug some cattails up and got 'em transplanted without killing them or muddying my pond. Hatched some 8,000 tadpoles, watched some get all the way to the having legs stage. I even got a fingerling rainbow in there, though it is entirely possible Gus (the largemouth) done ate him. I can say though that not one single thing has died, not a one, for any reason other than predation, and though I've got quite a hair algae problem, the water is Lake Erie clear. I can see the ridges and cracks in rocks some 3'+ on the bottom. It's the best thing I've ever built, it just doesn't translate well into a story =p

No boat is what's holding me back. Best perch and walleye season in memory, and I just can't get out there.

Kid, though...he is wellll past 100 fish already. Already caught 'bows AND browns, a 15lb carp, 10lb koi (oops), more man-hand sized bluegill and pumpkinseed than you could shake a stick at. One of those I gotta get a picture of. I'm talking 10"+ pumpkinseed, monsters the likes of which I never seen. Don't matter if it's just for 3" shiners, either. I still laugh remembering the very first posts of this thread; my kid was 3, I think, and I was humping through the cliffs and canyons for hours pursuing trout. OG in like the third post ever warned me about wearing him out and turning him off. LOL. This kid is the most rabid fisherman I have ever seen in my life. He goes fishing after he gets home from fishing, and that's not a joke, that's what has happened some 30 times this year already.

Good stuff =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 11th, 2018 at 6:19:56 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
So find out what the kid is like at pond building and boat building.