Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

August 30th, 2018 at 5:08:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Family in Davie, Florida terrorized by six foot lizard hanging around their back yard. Worried about kids, dogs, etc. Its an invasive species but its legal to import it and harbor it. Apparently escaped from a person in the neighborhood but won't return home. Trappers can't get near it.

I don't see why they can't wait until the lizard enters their swimming pool again and then just drain the pool until the lizard is trapped by low water and sheet walls?

Family willing to pay but even experts can't get near it.

For some unknown reason, trapping a lizard is only possible on a sunny day. Rainy or overcast days and trappers don't bother to show up since they think its futile.
September 11th, 2018 at 11:55:32 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Any more carb stories?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 11th, 2018 at 12:06:30 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
Any more carb stories?

Not looking like it.

I dropped it to my wrench day after Labor; figured it's a truck engine so going to the local garage was appropriate lol. He was willing, but I think he forgot about it as it's been 10 days and no word. And since I gave it to him specifically trying to get it done quick since my sad ass vacay starts today and I still don't have it, I reckon my boat season is over and my vacay is going to consist of another one - man motor pull. Weee.

Plenty of shaden if you wanna watch me rebuild my first V6 with the same no education i do all my s@#$ with lol. But boating looks over, and fishing won't pick back up for another month when they start running up north. Am planning a bit of production for then, but for now, nothing for ya but to point and laugh at me =/
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 11th, 2018 at 12:35:52 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Face
Not looking like it.

I dropped it to my wrench day after Labor; figured it's a truck engine so going to the local garage was appropriate lol. He was willing, but I think he forgot about it as it's been 10 days and no word. And since I gave it to him specifically trying to get it done quick since my sad ass vacay starts today and I still don't have it, I reckon my boat season is over and my vacay is going to consist of another one - man motor pull. Weee.
What vehicle/boat/plane did you drop off?

Quote:
Plenty of shaden if you wanna watch me rebuild my first V6 with the same no education i do all my s@#$ with lol.
pain is a great teacher Sure, better you than me.

Quote:
But boating looks over, and fishing won't pick back up for another month when they start running up north. Am planning a bit of production for then, but for now, nothing for ya but to point and laugh at me =/
The only way I would have possibly known first, is I already bled there.

I was wondering if you were familiar with the miracle of Joy soap and an oil sheen?
October 22nd, 2018 at 4:20:49 PM permalink
petroglyph
Where have you stowed your vessel?
October 23rd, 2018 at 1:41:02 PM permalink
Face

Regular bimini under the winter cover under a roof. And it almost fits. 18" of the bow and the entire lower unit is exposed, but it's way better than I expected (I didn't think it would fit at all). The entire bay and bilge has been degreased, floors and seats vacuumed and washed, dead stuff and equipment removed, it's completely cleaned and set and secure. Really happy with how that all came together. Hopefully what's essentially a new boat will indeed be like new in ~5 months.

Still dunno what broke, but have been dedicating most of my time to winterization stuff instead. Got all the (important) fish inside, got my wheeler inside (cuz reasons), pond equipment set, cars stacked and tarped, all the stuff I can't or really, really don't want to do in the snow (which it has done at least twice already). So far it doesn't seem to be bottom end. All the rods look fine and pistons look whole. I didn't really go so far as to inspect crank bearings, but figured there'd be other evidence besides visual if it were those, and there wasn't.

Continuing looks to be a bit of a faff, as while intake and heads are simple enough, all the piping and accessories are off and it's tweaking my brain. Why does this big honkin' 2" hose come out of some weird box and loop around right back into itself? Radiator delete? I don't f#$%ing know. But it looks like long block 4.3's are going for ~$1.3k asking, so at about a grand shopping around for something I can just drop in and go, that looks to be the smart play and likely plan. And since that's the plan, there's no reason not to tear this thing apart on the off chance I can find and fix what done broke. Which I'm going to do as soon as I'm done here.

Other than a likely engine swap, I'll also do the throttle contraption, as all of the hard part is already done and that thing was horrible. It'll be so nice to click and glide into gear again, and it's <$300. Do that and the only other thing it needs period is new bellows. I wonder what all the warnings about it being an "advanced job" are all about? Looks likes it's just a number of bolts, a boot, and a gasket. Wanna come give it a shot?
October 23rd, 2018 at 4:20:57 PM permalink
petroglyph
Still dunno what broke, but have been dedicating most of my time to winterization stuff instead. Got all the (important) fish inside, got my wheeler inside (cuz reasons), pond equipment set, cars stacked and tarped, all the stuff I can't or really, really don't want to do in the snow (which it has done at least twice already). So far it doesn't seem to be bottom end. All the rods look fine and pistons look whole. I didn't really go so far as to inspect crank bearings, but figured there'd be other evidence besides visual if it were those, and there wasn't.
What happened? Does it turn over, or is it locked up? Where is the timing chain/belt on that thing? Could that have snapped?

I have to ask, how many hours run time did you get out of it since buying it? Everybody is different but just guessing here, do you have less than 5 hours run time on the engine, and you checked oil before heading out? If I had sold that to you, I would try to make it right, or at least help, unless he made some great big deal out of "as is/ where is". In which case I would have wanted a good hard test ride. Give that guy a chance to rebate some of the cost, imo.

Come get this truck, and leave with a warranty. Drive it home for a test drive.

Quote:
Continuing looks to be a bit of a faff, as while intake and heads are simple enough, all the piping and accessories are off and it's tweaking my brain. Why does this big honkin' 2" hose come out of some weird box and loop around right back into itself? Radiator delete?
Remember me asking if it was fwc, or rwc?

Quote:
I don't f#$%ing know. But it looks like long block 4.3's are going for ~$1.3k asking, so at about a grand shopping around for something I can just drop in and go, that looks to be the smart play and likely plan.
You do know that marine engines are a little different than automotive engines right?

Honest to god, if it were me and I was just in love with that hull, if the motor is busted, I'd convert it now to an outboard. From then on you can do your maintenance standing up like a human being. As it is, I hope you have knee pads, just to change oil. At least you aren't crawling around down in some bilge. Ain't none of these things run very long without maintenance.

Quote:
And since that's the plan, there's no reason not to tear this thing apart on the off chance I can find and fix what done broke. Which I'm going to do as soon as I'm done here.
What cratered? You haven't even got near r&r the outdrive yet. outboard Good Yamaha's are lasting over 10k hours.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Yamaha-Complete-Outboard-Engines-Over-200-hp-HP-Engine/177669/bn_30203205

Quote:
Other than a likely engine swap, I'll also do the throttle contraption, as all of the hard part is already done and that thing was horrible. It'll be so nice to click and glide into gear again, and it's <$300. Do that and the only other thing it needs period is new bellows. I wonder what all the warnings about it being an "advanced job" are all about? Looks likes it's just a number of bolts, a boot, and a gasket. Wanna come give it a shot?
Yeah, it would be fun to hand you wrenches, and see how many unwanted suggestions you could take before throwing one at me. Hopefully, youtube will be your friend?
October 24th, 2018 at 2:27:40 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
What happened? Does it turn over, or is it locked up? Where is the timing chain/belt on that thing? Could that have snapped?

I have to ask, how many hours run time did you get out of it since buying it? Everybody is different but just guessing here, do you have less than 5 hours run time on the engine, and you checked oil before heading out? If I had sold that to you, I would try to make it right, or at least help, unless he made some great big deal out of "as is/ where is". In which case I would have wanted a good hard test ride. Give that guy a chance to rebate some of the cost, imo.

Was locked. I guess they do that when the cylinders are full of water. Who knew? lol

I don't know where anything is on this thing. I've always hated V6's cuz they sound stupid (even you, Porsche) so I don't even have a rudimentary, picture-book familiarity with them. And the cam's in the guts of the thing with push rods working the valves, instead of up on top where it's supposed to be, so I'm way out to lunch on this thing. Ah well, gotta learn somehow...

And yeah, 5hrs is about dead on. I'm just not that guy. It's a Craigslist deal, that means whatever warranty there was to be had needs to be spoken of before the deal is done. Once hands are shook, it's f#$%ing done. And this is done.

Real talk, I can't really find a way, even for s#$%s and gigs, to pin it on him. It appears the flappers (or whatever the proper term is for the one-ways in the exhaust pipe) just didn't work right. They're there to stop this, yes? And they move by hand....ain't no way any normal or slightly abnormal person would ever know their condition. If they were made of spare Pringles cans pivoting on a paperclip like I would do, maybe he and I would have a talk. But they weren't. Or maybe if I was idling at the dock and it did it, maybe. But I was out in 6'+ swells on f#$%ing Erie in a storm. It's not his problem and I'm not fixin' to make it his.

Quote: petro
Remember me asking if it was fwc, or rwc?

I do, and I thought I remember asking wtf you were on about. Formula World Championship v Rally World Championship? Front Wheel....no, it's not that. Fried...Waffle Chicken v Rotisserie Waffle Chicken? And then you asked again today, and I still don't know wtf you're on about. But good thing about postal work is minimum 5hr p/day of daydreaming....is it Fresh Water Cooling v Recirculated Water Cooling? =D Since you brought it up after my rad delete comment, that's what I'm going with. And I assume it's FWC. It's got the gate in the lower unit, ain't no rad to be found, that big ass hose mentioned earlier only had brown-y orange-y water in it sans coolant, there's a funny pipe coming out of the lower unit into a hose into the motor.... so we're going with FWC.

Does it matter, other than being better and easier? Sure is f#$%ing orange in there. Intake looks like someone had an insulating foam accident...

You do know that marine engines are a little different than automotive engines right?

……..sure. Yeah. I just wonder if we both know the same differences lol.

I know you use straight weight oil cuz no winter issues plus higher operating temps, I know a buttload of emissions and accessory garbage is gone, the belt system is all different, and all that. I'm not about to buy an '88 Blazer for five hundo thinking I'm smart; I have educated myself at least that far and the long blocks mentioned are this exact motor, from a boat.

I would assume, though, that most of the internals are mix and match. If crank bearings and valve stems are all different terra v aqua, I'm throwing all my wrenches to the scrapper and becoming a gardener.

Honest to god, if it were me and I was just in love with that hull, if the motor is busted, I'd convert it now to an outboard. From then on you can do your maintenance standing up like a human being. As it is, I hope you have knee pads, just to change oil. At least you aren't crawling around down in some bilge. Ain't none of these things run very long without maintenance.

What cratered? You haven't even got near r&r the outdrive yet. outboard Good Yamaha's are lasting over 10k hours.

Those edibles must be fantastic XD

While I appreciate your faith in me that I could, without education, somehow glass the giant f#$%ing hole in the stern that I'd have by removing the i/o, I don't know where the outboard comments even originate from. Have you seen the price? Hell, even the 1968 Johnson 5.5's are still like $600. When I priced a 90hp-4 to replace my old 50hp 2-stroke, it was some $3,500 just for the piece, forget labor and controls. And a quick Google just found me a 200hp-4 for "FIFTY PERCENT OFF!".....and it's still nine thousand goddamn dollars, say nothing of the conversion parts, the glass, the labor, the mental institution stay, the ER bills....

If I had the money to swap an outboard, I'd have the money for a whole new boat =p

Also, lol on you about the knee pads. Even kneeling is too high, you have to lay dow. So there =p

Yeah, it would be fun to hand you wrenches, and see how many unwanted suggestions you could take before throwing one at me. Hopefully, youtube will be your friend?

You know what I would give just to have someone hand me wrenches? Working on the floor is fine, I almost prefer it as my back don't hurt, but the up and down just f#$%ing kills me. When did that get so goddamn hard? I'm 37, why does it hurt to sit down!? Ferchrissakes…

Could always go the "virtual garage" route and post like I used to. Might not hurt to have an extra pair on things. And yeah, I'm sure YT and the Googles will have what I need, I just haven't gone there yet. Everything's been too easy and I'm basically just tearing down looking for evidence of damage. Though the further I get and the more I think, my money's starting to go toward doing something really, idiotically simple and dumb like roasting a starter, and here I am stripping the whole shootin' match lol.

Meh. I've done stupider things. Learnin' a bunch! =)
October 24th, 2018 at 4:30:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Was locked. I guess they do that when the cylinders are full of water. Who knew? lol , <snip>

But I was out in 6'+ swells on f#$%ing Erie in a storm.
That's when water in the bottom of a fuel tank kills you is when the fuel is sloshing around, and the pick up tube that stays an inch off the bottom of the tank, gets to take a big drink of all the sledge and water that has lived on the bottom of the tank, for maybe years. Nothing ever happens on flat seas.

If the fuel/water separator still doesn't have water in it, the water in the cylinders had to come from the cooling system or the "flappers" [works for me]

FWC= fresh water cooled. RWC= raw water cooled. With fresh water cooling you have a heat exchanger that cools the coolant that then runs through the motor, by pumping the lake water through the exchanger, etc. Or my favorite, keel cooled with dry exhaust.

RWC, is an evil conspiracy dreamed up by some engineer, that apparently hates mariners. It pumps whatever medium you are floating in, to be circulated directly through the motor, leaving sand, silt, frogs and leaves, not to mention salt, directly inside the motor when it is shut down. It doesn't take a really long time for that system to rot through one of the water jackets, to inside the cylinder. Does this thing have zincs anywhere?

Quote:
……..sure. Yeah. I just wonder if we both know the same differences lol.
That is a valid point. I've heard of guys using car motors. The only differences I recall are the bearings/ crank journals are much wider, because of the difference in how a boat motor or car runs, at least that's what I was led to believe. Marine motors work harder for the same rpm, they never get to coast or go in overdrive. The fuel pumps [marine] are made so that if they self destruct, the fuel won't spill outside of the pump into the bilge. Carbs are modified so there can't be any backfired flame. Cooling and a few other little ditty's. Lots of design went into making no sparks. Also I think auto engines are left hand turn, and marine motors can be right hand turn. That's a pertinent fact buying a used one, is which way it turns.

Quote:
I'm not about to buy an '88 Blazer for five hundo thinking I'm smart; I have educated myself at least that far and the long blocks mentioned are this exact motor, from a boat.
I was kind of hoping to hear the play by play if you tried to convert your old Honda motor into a race marine engine. Mega schaden on that one. lol

Quote:
I would assume, though, that most of the internals are mix and match. If crank bearings and valve stems are all different terra v aqua, I'm throwing all my wrenches to the scrapper and becoming a gardener.
IIRC, marine engines are also balanced, so they don't shake the stringers out of boats? http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?377799-What-s-the-difference-between-a-marine-and-a-normal-motor

Quote:
Those edibles must be fantastic XD
They take to long to work for boat maintenance.

Quote:
While I appreciate your faith in me that I could, without education, somehow glass the giant f#$%ing hole in the stern that I'd have by removing the i/o, I don't know where the outboard comments even originate from. Have you seen the price?
There are miraculous compounds nowadays for plugging just such a hole. Some even set under water. But the way it's done is, you just plate the stern with 1/2 inch or so aluminum, use marine compound between the plate and the boat, about a gallon or so, and bolt right through the stern, and use respectable backing inside the boat. Some local fab shop welds the, "bolt to bracket" onto the plate and away you go.

"Marine tex' is a fabulous product for when you drill small holes right through the hull : (. Other stuff I'd have to look up comes in gallons with no mixing. You can drill and tap the stuff when it sets up.

Quote:
And a quick Google just found me a 200hp-4 for "FIFTY PERCENT OFF!".....and it's still nine thousand goddamn dollars, say nothing of the conversion parts, the glass, the labor, the mental institution stay, the ER bills....
They come with controls /;. My friend up north I just talked with had a 225 Yammy setting up on a hanger and got tired of looking at it. It had about 800 hrs. on it. I asked him what happened to it, he said he tired of looking at it and couldn't find anyone that wanted it so he took it out to the dump. Controls, gauges the works. I guess he was done messing with moving it, he said it was to heavy to move around by himself anymore.

Quote:
If I had the money to swap an outboard, I'd have the money for a whole new boat =p
Only six foot seas you say when that one cratered? When they get to ten footers, the price don't matter. I think I told you I got hit by a ship one time, because my motor wouldn't start. It changed me. Scraped all the way down the side of a 500 footer. I like redundant everything now.

Quote:
You know what I would give just to have someone hand me wrenches? Working on the floor is fine, I almost prefer it as my back don't hurt, but the up and down just f#$%ing kills me. When did that get so goddamn hard? I'm 37, why does it hurt to sit down!? Ferchrissakes…
Ahhh, the knees are the first to go.

Quote:
Everything's been too easy and I'm basically just tearing down looking for evidence of damage.
" Anyone can tear one apart[" lol
October 25th, 2018 at 7:00:43 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My father recently paid $22,000 for his new Yamaha outboard. I was shocked as I had no idea they would be even close to that.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.