October 27th, 2018 at 1:07:40 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 4th, 2018 at 10:05:48 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: DRich
My father recently paid $22,000 for his new Yamaha outboard. I was shocked as I had no idea they would be even close to that.

They truly baffle me. My old motor was tiny; once out of the housing, it was smaller than the motor in my mower. Yet the mower was like 8hp and the outboard put out 50. Hell, those big ol' 250's are small enough to wrap my arms around. How they get 250 out of that? Ain't no part of any of it that I understand.

@petro, I'm thinking it's RWC. I don't see any heat exchanger, unless it lives inside the lower unit, which I don't understand how it could. That probably also explains the massive rusting inside the intake (you can measure the depth of the scale rust in millimeters ><) Don't have to worry about salt, but it is good to know. I typically spend spring with the prop barely in water as I push into <2' waters churning up sludge pursuing the spawn. Guess I better get a troller for that particular job lol

But we'll worry about all that in a couple months. I might dink around with this old motor if I get enough off it to carry inside, but I've gone far enough that I'm passed knowing what to do next, and I still haven't found any damage. Looks like it's new motor time, and I guess I'll keep this one as a training tool and spare part holder until I get another scrap load. Until then, it's all crick walking until the water gets hard.

And that's what we're doing. We headed up north to the Ontario tribs, going to my childhood haunt in Olcott. It sure has changed over the years. The stream is much more "developed" with hard pack trails, huge rip rap walls and even a valet of sorts with a diesel Gator ferrying old timers up and down the hill between the crick and the lot. Back when me and Pops were hitting this place, we had to scale down the side of the dam and the "trail", as it were, was just a simple wear path. Quite the difference. But the water is just about exactly the same. All manner of salmonids were piled high as you want, jumping, thrashing, and fighting amongst each other on their way to the pool. It just about completely ruined my vid as my head was non stop swiveling, taking in all there was to see.

It's not the most serene of places, being so developed and jammed full of people. And as far as angling goes, it's just about a complete waste. There's not much of the dance of proper presentation, good hunting skills, all the stuff that makes fishing so great. No. Here you pretty much just trying to drift it in their face and gain purchase. "Strikes" are more an accident at best, designed trickery at worst. Get it close and hope to snag it somewhere in the face. Repeat until exhausted.

The vibe seemed to have change as well, though that could be down to nothing more than luck of the day. I recall verbal altercations being pretty much ever present, what with such a huge amount of traffic. And physical altercations, usually a tug of war when two guys tangled their gear but sometimes up to pushing / wrestling, happened enough that I expect it when going here. Now, everyone seemed just about as eager to spar, but with a much friendlier tone. A lot of "good natured s#$% talking" in other words. Friendly teasings, goading, jiving, it did make it fun, and was nice to give my kid a taste of "man life".

We got there just in time for twilight, having left home at 0400. The small, 2,000' stretch already had 50+ people on it, but there was still plenty of real estate from which to choose and my favorite spot didn't have anyone on it for tens of feet in either direction. I staged up here immediately while the boy, as is tradition, immediately fell in over his waders, filling them and soaking him to the bone. Yes, I was standing right there. No, I did not help him. This is how we learn =)

We ended up running into my... ex-nephew?...and the boy's cousin, and he had in tow a dude I hadn't seen in nearly ten years. While we chatted, the boy f#$%ed off down to the railroad bridge some 200' away on the other side of the water and nearly out of view. I was breaking at this point, trying to get warm and giving my two torn shoulders a rest as I was already just about done in after just 45min. While wading through ten years of history, the boy hooked up into his first one, all by himself. Still in morning grog and beginning to catch a buzz, I sort of just watched gleefully for a full minute before realizing, duh, I had to do something lol. I began the slog across the water when I saw him almost fall - the line had snapped. I saw him freeze, then spin and start humping towards me, eyes afire and big cheese all over his face. He marched right to me, thrust his rod tip at me, and never broke gaze from the water. It was the first time that's ever happened. Not only immediately doing what needed to be done (bringing the pole to me and holding it in a manner that allowed me to fix it), but turning his back to me. Priority wasn't dad's thoughts, priority was getting the fish. It was independence, and bittersweet.

Line retied, he f#$%ed off back to the bridge and I went back to catching up and getting that buzz. Wasn't 10min before he hooked back up again. I was pleased as punch seeing him immediately do what I had instructed (walk it back, don't chase into water) and I was content to just watch. Little s#$% never even looked up. Eyes locked, guiding it out around rocks, steering when he could, letting it run when it ran, I did not see one single thing in which to critique. I was content to watch the whole play, see how far he took it, but a friendly neighbor wound up heading toward him with a net. My fun over, I slogged back over for the pic.

The boy's first king. Was a bit small for that area, but was in good health for a zombie. The boy watched as the friendly neighbor revived it for release, alive and full of eggs, and then he marched right back to his spot on the bridge. My buzz engaged, I hunkered back up in my spot and started swingin'.

The day wound up to be quite enjoyable. Everyone surrounding us were very engaging and loud, full of ribbing when their friends hooked up, full of cheering when my boy did (and he did several times). The boy brought one more fully to shore, a monster male king that I couldn't manage bare handed. This one he did chase as he almost had to, and he got deep and fell again (lol), but he did end up finally horsing it to shore. No pics because of the size and my lack of net, but I did get it on video just before the GoPro died.

In all, my quasi-group of 5 landed some 16 kings and 2 or 3 big browns. The boy hooked 4 and brought in 2, much to his still-present delight. Me? Not a goddamn thing lol. I'm not content to drag flies over backs, so 3 out of the 4 that foul hooked themselves I managed to plink off without incident. Only one hooked its dorsal spine, and I just couldn't get it out. I flipped and pooped it for at least 5 min, content to take my time as no one was really around me. I could guide it close without fighting, but I couldn't pop it off with a fly rod like I can with my Ugly Sticks. The only reason I tell this story is because I wasn't trying to fight it, and so was holding my fly line like an a$$hole. So, when it finally figured out I had it and ran, it buzzed line around my finger so fast it steamed, and here 10 days later, I still have a shiny line in my finger where the line burned into it. I suppose that's a permanent reminder =)

Phase one of winter accomplished. And now that it's rained for 5+ days straight, hopefully we can have some similar action back home. Fingers crossed!

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 4th, 2018 at 11:54:08 AM permalink
petroglyph
Not only do outboards have superior weight to horsepower ratios, the hp on an outboard is measured at the propeller, whereas the hp on an inboard is measured at the flywheel. Every time you bend horsepower you lose some.

Very nice share of fishing.
November 5th, 2018 at 11:51:55 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
that kid is some kind of fisherman!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 8th, 2019 at 9:06:45 AM permalink
Face
Got your ears on petro? I'm fixin' to start punching holes in the hull, ya better talk to your boy!

It's livewell planning time. I've got a rough list and plan, gonna throw it out here partly for giggles, but mostly so someone can see the thing I was gonna do that would sink my boat that you're going to point out so I don't do that. Savvy? OK...

So I know the bottom of the well needs to be higher than the water line, lest it always has water in it. And since the few access ports there are show no real room under the floor, I was going to make it on top, either by sacrificing the walking room in the bow, or by commandeering and sealing one of the storage compartments therein. Making a sealed, waterproof and fish safe box is easy, my question is one of plumbing and execution.

In order to draw water, I need a thru-hull below the water line. For this (and this is sort of a question) I need a thru-hull seacock. I know this has to be a specific product and not the bargain drawer at Lowe's to deal with the water and UV, cuz if it s#$%s, then I have a salvage situation on my hands, and anything at Lowe's WILL s#$%. So I got a seacock. And I reckon the hole is no problem; just tape the sumbitch to prevent cracks and chips, use a proper hole saw, and bang a hole in the side. What next? Those cocks have their own seal? Do I need a tube of something? Do I mix JB Weld with Rhino Liner and just start sloppin'? =p

Once that's in and sealed, I know the immediate need is some sort of shut off right at the hull in case of failure. Is there a specific product for this, or will any ol plumbing valve work? My boat is never and will never be slipped; it's only in the water when I'm in it, so a manual valve should work. My only question is, what kind?

I think the last question is drainage. My last boat had a factory well with thru-hulls for both intake and discharge. While I might not be scared to punch a hole in this piece, I'm not exactly looking forward to it and so would prefer to do it but once. There any reason I can't just discharge into the bilge and just let the bilge pump take care of it? Thinking of those days we kept several fish for several hours, I can't imagine I moved much more than 20-30g, and that was very extreme. I'd say a typical day is usually more like 8. Is there some big mistake I'm looking at going this route? Maybe turning on the aerator and forgetting? lol Can I just be lazy, or should I just do it right the first time?

Reckon that's all for now. Feel free to add stuff I might not have thought of...
January 8th, 2019 at 11:58:43 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Face
In order to draw water, I need a thru-hull below the water line. For this (and this is sort of a question) I need a thru-hull seacock. I know this has to be a specific product and not the bargain drawer at Lowe's to deal with the water and UV, cuz if it s#$%s, then I have a salvage situation on my hands, and anything at Lowe's WILL s#$%. So I got a seacock. And I reckon the hole is no problem; just tape the sumbitch to prevent cracks and chips, use a proper hole saw, and bang a hole in the side. What next? Those cocks have their own seal? Do I need a tube of something? Do I mix JB Weld with Rhino Liner and just start sloppin'? =p
I've had seacocks of the larger boat kind, the big bronze things with strainers and shut-offs. Those were made so they could be removed and the hull inspected and so forth. I've only had one live well [loved it] and I never even looked for the intake, I know it must have had one? If it did, it was one of the modern hard plastic kinds, aluminum skiff- plastic thru cock, nothing to concern over.

Tell me you have marine catalogs somewhere for dream purposes, like a young man has skin mags? I like to look at the pictures and read the story's in the West Marine catalog, then buy it somewhere else, like Defender catalog. or Bass Pro. This is where old school is better than new age, imo. lol

Do you people actually have UV out your way? Come on down, I'll show you some UV. hehe I'd just use quality silicone and the rubber flange gasket that comes with it?? That begs the question: Can you piggy back off the intake for your cooling line by adding a T? Prolly not.

I don't think you want the well exhausting inside the hull, where your automatic/manual bilge pump has to pick it up again. After the first fish, you'll never get the stink out from under the floor and the scales will plug the bilge pump.

Quote:
Once that's in and sealed, I know the immediate need is some sort of shut off right at the hull in case of failure. Is there a specific product for this, or will any ol plumbing valve work? My boat is never and will never be slipped; it's only in the water when I'm in it, so a manual valve should work. My only question is, what kind?
Order your catalogs today.

Quote:
I think the last question is drainage. My last boat had a factory well with thru-hulls for both intake and discharge. While I might not be scared to punch a hole in this piece, I'm not exactly looking forward to it
God hates a coward. lol

Quote:
Thinking of those days we kept several fish for several hours, I can't imagine I moved much more than 20-30g, and that was very extreme. I'd say a typical day is usually more like 8. Is there some big mistake I'm looking at going this route? Maybe turning on the aerator and forgetting? lol Can I just be lazy, or should I just do it right the first time?
I think you ought to take the kid boat camping and expose him to a whole new experience. It's addictive. You need at least two batteries on the boat, with a big marine switch on/off/one/both. I like the kicker to have a charging system as well as a rope start. I've got an extra switch, if you want to pay shipping. As always....Safety first. Practice the speech for new riders, where you explain where the fire extinguisher, life vests, flares are. Chances are if someone needs help, it's going to be you, and so far you are the only one that knows how to save the boat. The law says anyone under 14 has to wear a properly sized vest at all times. I've seen it save lives. My kid put one foot on the gunnel and one foot still on the dock, boat slid away, she went in the water, boat closed the gap. I came running, shoved the boat back away and she popped up because of the vest. Kids try to drown, I don't know why?

Quote:
Reckon that's all for now. Feel free to add stuff I might not have thought of...
The switch on the dashboard, for the bilge, should have an idiot light on it and a float switch at the pump. It's a visual diagnostic that you can see from anywhere in the boat to let you know there is water coming in. When it is pumping, lights on, then the light is supposed to go out after a while, right? The switch for the live well should be 3 position, off/ always on/ occasionally on. Again, a dummy light is great. An analog volt meter on the console is precious, it tells a big story. One of my last projects was installing a wash down pump, they are great. May be bigger than you want though? Do you have spare drain plugs?
January 8th, 2019 at 12:18:41 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
agree as to lowe's 'quality'.

you migh want to try Accidental sailor Girl' site. physically in st. augistine and jacksoville florida but also on the web, I think.

lots os spare parts, new parts and tool to rent/sell..

I've been out of touch with my Anarchist friends for quite a while but I think she is still in business.
March 25th, 2019 at 8:29:25 AM permalink
Face
EB, OG, JB if he's around, are y'all getting inundated by stinkbugs this year?

I noticed they got real bad in the fall, to the point my house was covered in them. They were so bad they served as a good half of my total pond feeding source; I could in one minute just pick 40-50 off the side of my house and still have so many none looked taken. And now that it's March, I've bought maybe three jars of food compared to the typical 15-20; I need do no more than go downstairs and start looking. They are EVERYWHERE.

No big deal, just curious. Stinkbugs have always been common, but this is beyond extreme. Guess I'm wondering if it's just a thing, or if something specific is going on in my parts.
March 25th, 2019 at 1:39:52 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
we got clobbered one year like that, maybe 2015? , and it hasn't been as bad since, natural enemies catch up with them? but they seem to be here for good.

good things about them:

*they don't get into the food
*they don't really bother the garden that much, might have to do with what I tend to plant though
*they don't stink as bad as our original native stinkbugs

bad things:

*enormous numbers
*problem for agriculture
*they seek places to hide during the winter, leading to surprises
*it's startling to have one fly by your ear
*and of course they do stink if squashed, making it inconvenient to dispatch at times
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 25th, 2019 at 2:44:41 PM permalink
petroglyph
Can you have a couple chickens or ducks as pets hanging around the place? Or possibly a goose. They also double as guard animals.