Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

July 10th, 2019 at 2:48:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Do you just want to slow it down? Seen these trolling plates? https://www.google.com/search?q=dole+fin+trolling+plate&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS839US839&oq=dole+fin+trolling+plate&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.8482j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 10th, 2019 at 3:06:59 PM permalink
petroglyph
It looks like also from here on that Glastron, there is room to mount an electric trolling motor on the back?

Check at 40 seconds +.
July 10th, 2019 at 3:43:42 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: petroglyph

Thanks Petro. That looks promising and something I had not considered. Some people consider those old Carlsons to be classics. I'd hate to make holes in the bow to mount a trolling motor.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 10th, 2019 at 3:47:23 PM permalink
JimRockford
It looks like also from here on that Glastron, there is room to mount an electric trolling motor on the back?

Check at 40 seconds +.

Hmm. I didn't see a stern mounted motor or a Glaston speed boat in that video at all.
July 10th, 2019 at 5:34:55 PM permalink
petroglyph
It was kind of mix and match.

Wanted to show an example of a removable motor. I think they have the removable mounts for the stern mounted motor? So the motor wouldn't have to be in the way of the main power plant except when taking it fishing.

On the pictures you posted, the two boats that had an Evinrude and a Johnson looked like they had swim steps on them. Maybe some kind of clamp on motor mount might work, so no holes needed?

They way I see it no boat does all things, so a guy needs about 5 different boats to have almost everything covered.

Check out the adhesive comparison on the do it yourself thread. The 5200 holds up pretty good.
July 11th, 2019 at 10:30:56 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
JimRock's looks like mine. Not exactly, but the same "ain't nothing here" style that makes attaching a right bitch.

And I'm an idiot. Being my first glass boat, the rivets in the rear never really caught my attention. They just blended in because, duh, a boat has a million rivets. Right?

Those rivets are plugs. There was a plate there previously lol. I didn't look closely cuz I didn't want to faff around removing my trolling board, but it looks like all the work and questions have been done for me already. Get a plate, backing, and ram 'er on.

And, like we said, you will need to steer it and run the controls. Might consider using cable steering with throttle and gear shift ran to the helm? It's not fun sitting on the stern everytime you want to troll. Likely as not, it's going to be you doing the driving, make it easy on yourself as you can. Wearing your back out switching back and forth between the helm and the steering location of the kicker, over the top of "the crew" gets old , if you do it often. You can't think of it as if you were actually going to have, "help".

Having recently been forced to troll from the wheel, it's been one of the main forces driving this project. I HATE it. Other than having a windshield to assist lighting smokes, there's not a single redeeming factor. Having to turn the wheel so much, having to twist around to watch rods, having to run past gear to get to them, I HATE it. I miss so very much my tiller and sitting on the gunwale all the way in the back.

Maybe targeting walleye/kings is slow work? I dunno. But when I troll, there's no time for back and forth. Sometimes won't even be back to the wheel before another pole lights up. And who's steering when I'm on one? Get a fish and tangle everything cuz it's just going in circles now lol. A tiller is right there where I'm fighting. I really want to go back to one.

I might should just get 'er pretty and sell it for one outfitted already =P Saw a spartan model today, wide open, no frills. FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS! WTF!!
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 11th, 2019 at 11:06:33 AM permalink
petroglyph
Did it have an outboard?
July 11th, 2019 at 11:26:38 AM permalink
JimRockford
Quote: Face
I might should just get 'er pretty and sell it for one outfitted already

That's kinda what I'm thinking. I should sell this thing to someone who thinks it's a classic and get a real fishing boat.
July 12th, 2019 at 8:14:03 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: JimRockford
... get a real fishing boat.

Like?

I can't seem to latch onto one. I think the "responsible" thing to do would be to get a Trophy, if only because a majority of my time will be on the Greats. But while they seem to be the go-to for all the outfitters 'round here, I just hate the interior. They don't look like something I would find comfortable for 6+hrs. OTOH, I love a number of Rangers, but I think there's a reason I never see 'em out. I can't imagine they could take a lick of chop without soaking everything and everyone.

Or maybe just hit a scrap auction. Get towed to the shoal, anchor for good, and to hell with motors and mortgages...

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 12th, 2019 at 8:54:30 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Face
Like?

I can't seem to latch onto one. I think the "responsible" thing to do would be to get a Trophy, if only because a majority of my time will be on the Greats. But while they seem to be the go-to for all the outfitters 'round here, I just hate the interior. They don't look like something I would find comfortable for 6+hrs. OTOH, I love a number of Rangers, but I think there's a reason I never see 'em out. I can't imagine they could take a lick of chop without soaking everything and everyone.

Or maybe just hit a scrap auction. Get towed to the shoal, anchor for good, and to hell with motors and mortgages...

It's going to take a lot of hp to get that LCV up on step?

But if it's a landing craft yer after