Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

July 17th, 2019 at 2:17:45 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I never caught Walleye like that on lake Erie, but at least once a year we would pull in 200 perch in very short order.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 17th, 2019 at 2:57:54 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: DRich
I would think that even the 90hp motor would move that boat along at 40mph.

I dunno. My 50hp 2stroke did 27. My current ~190hp does about the same but in chop. My ex B-i-L just bought a freaking Crockett and Tubbs mess, looks like a GD cigarette boat. 502s, I think, all cammed out and bespoke, looks like it's 50' long. They hit 82 on the Niagara.

I think if it went 40 I wouldn't want it lol. I've never had fun going fast on the water.

Quote: petroglyph
That is a great boat. I hate to see it when a guy spends all that money fitting it out, and then scrimp on the motor and slap "Black Death" on the back. If you are going to spend that much money, do yourself a favor and get a Yamaha. Look at serious mariners round the world, or up the Amazon river, or down at Murdoch bay, and know those guys are way out there, and spend their lives doing that type of stuff. Most of them have Yamaha's. Go look at what the pro's are using, or talk to some on the phone, ask 'em what they are running.

I had a friend in Ak that was so well known, Mercury gave him two 150's to use, just for the advertising. He changed them out mid season, because when it really matters, you just can't spend your time being broke down.

Oh, and as long as your fitting her out, get full canvas.

Haha, I think I'm still spinning out. In that impulse mode where things like $200/mth* make sense. After some time to soak in "*for over a decade at 7%", I'm sure I'll renege like always =)

But just in case...

Canvas, like a full weatherproof cover? Thirty grand and it don't come with? Or are you talking like a biminy to get out of the elements? Thirty grand and it don't come with?

Can you just tell em to eff off with what's already on the boat? I guess I'm stuck in car mode where the engine is part of the car and is proprietary. Can you mix and match Lowe/Ranger/Tracker/Spectrum with Merc/Yamaha/Honda/Tohatsu, just by asking? All offered on the site were just different variants of the same Merc...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 17th, 2019 at 2:59:38 PM permalink
Face
Quote: rxwine

That is awesome, but 1) eff that cuz Erie gets nasty QUICK and he's out twice as far as I go, and 2) that rig costs more than both my previous two boats combined lol.
July 17th, 2019 at 5:17:40 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
I dunno. My 50hp 2stroke did 27. My current ~190hp does about the same but in chop. My ex B-i-L just bought a freaking Crockett and Tubbs mess, looks like a GD cigarette boat. 502s, I think, all cammed out and bespoke, looks like it's 50' long. They hit 82 on the Niagara.

I think if it went 40 I wouldn't want it lol. I've never had fun going fast on the water.
Unless it's mirror, I don't like running fast either, but I do want enough power to climb up out of the trough. Regardless of the weight on board.

We were running around icebergs that break off the glaciers and I was told in a slight chop, if you are doing more than 17 kts, you are going to fast to turn out of a collision by the time you can see one flat with the water. I've always kind of hung with that. I saw a runabout appx. 18 ft. that hit a two inch by 30 inch stick in the water and it separated the two halves of the boat, and they weren't going very fast, just powering out of a turn. That stuck with me.

Quote:
Haha, I think I'm still spinning out. In that impulse mode where things like $200/mth* make sense. After some time to soak in "*for over a decade at 7%", I'm sure I'll renege like always =)

But just in case...

Canvas, like a full weatherproof cover? Thirty grand and it don't come with? Or are you talking like a biminy to get out of the elements? Thirty grand and it don't come with?

Can you just tell em to eff off with what's already on the boat? I guess I'm stuck in car mode where the engine is part of the car and is proprietary. Can you mix and match Lowe/Ranger/Tracker/Spectrum with Merc/Yamaha/Honda/Tohatsu, just by asking? All offered on the site were just different variants of the same Merc...
Yes, I like to enclose in inclement weather and run a little heat. I enjoy boat camping.

The best place to find a deal on a boat is probably from someone like AOS. I ate the depreciation from two new trucks in my life, and didn't like the taste. I'm not in that kind of money anymore besides. I find nothing wrong with 200 per month for entertainment if a guy has it. I've snorted more than that in the old days. We all like to spend our labor in different ways. My kid probably has over ten grand in guitars. And no idea what that wife will cost?

It's so nice to climb into a boat that is running reliably against the weather, that you don't have to worry about that part of it, I can't describe how great that feels. The hull doesn't have to be new, or the motor, but **ck worrying about the powertrain when you have people you love aboard. That's why a guy works is so you can have something nice.

Why work, so you can run **it, you have to worry about? If you want to sail junk, you shouldn't have to have a job also. Might as well have something nice now, don't look like your body will be around in twenty years to abuse anymore. : ) Get a good Yammy now, and it will still start up in the first few turns 5000 hobbs hours from now. The way my mind works, once I've had to paddle a motor back to shore, it doesn't matter how much money I throw at it, I'm never able to completely trust them again. I'm always listening for that one glitch, know what I mean? : ) [ getting hit by one ship will change your thinking about great deals on boats : ) ]

Like catching the ole lady cheating, no matter how much therapy you send her to, and how many times she promises she ain't, you never quite know if she's banging the therapist. Once I've paddled her back to shore, we're done.

But sure, if you are going to run a motor that's made you paddle back to the ramp, a kicker will give you more comfort, even if you have to lag screw and strap it to the stern.

Oh, the horsepower on an inboard is measured at the flywheel, the horsepower on an outboard is measured at the prop.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 17th, 2019 at 6:07:22 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
Unless it's mirror, I don't like running fast either, but I do want enough power to climb up out of the trough. Regardless of the weight on board.

Is most of your experience marine? Sometimes I feel we talk passed each other. If I ever need to climb out of a trough, it's too gd choppy to be going faster than idle anyway lol

Quote: petro
We were running around icebergs that break off the glaciers and I was told in a slight chop, if you are doing more than 17 kts, you are going to fast to turn out of a collision by the time you can see one flat with the water. I've always kind of hung with that. I saw a runabout appx. 18 ft. that hit a two inch by 30 inch stick in the water and it separated the two halves of the boat, and they weren't going very fast, just powering out of a turn. That stuck with me.

I've no experience or story, but fishing the mouth of the crick featured in this thread, there's no shortage of complete, 40' trees that are in and around the bay. The few deadheads are obvious and no issue, but I definitely moved a number of sticks my last trolling run. And hell, even if it's glass, there's no relation. It's not like light poles are zipping by you to give you a sense of speed and excitement. It's more a question of "do you wanna get there in 5min" or "do you want the s#$% kicked out of you" lol.

I'll stick with a leisurely burble. Leave the rooster tails to the atv =)

Yes, I like to enclose in inclement weather and run a little heat. I enjoy boat camping.

So is that what a canvas is? I'm still confused. No boat I've ever had had a cover that would hold heat. I just had a full heavy cover for winter storage and a separate vinyl cover that was more like a biminy. Just wanted to be clear because I've no interest or ability to do much camping, but would obv want and need weather and storage protection.

The best place to find a deal on a boat is probably from someone like AOS. I ate the depreciation from two new trucks in my life, and didn't like the taste. I'm not in that kind of money anymore besides. I find nothing wrong with 200 per month for entertainment if a guy has it. I've snorted more than that in the old days. We all like to spend our labor in different ways. My kid probably has over ten grand in guitars. And no idea what that wife will cost?

Lol, I know, right? A bit of an embarrassing story that shows how disconnected I used to be, but from 2001 to 2012 I never collected a paycheck. I told my girl/eventual wife that I had a few needs and the rest I did not care about. It amounted to keep my wheeler running, my bike legal, and a $40bag in my pocket. Did that for 10yrs+ and never had a single money worry ever.

WTF happened?! lol Now I'm over here in poverty PTSD looking for which brake pads have the most life so's I can reuse 'em, and/or hoping the backing alone will get me just a few more miles down the road (Hint: it doesn't. It explodes and takes the caliper with it, as I found out just last Sunday, to my $1,295 pain lol)

It's so nice to climb into a boat that is running reliably against the weather, that you don't have to worry about that part of it, I can't describe how great that feels. The hull doesn't have to be new, or the motor, but **ck worrying about the powertrain when you have people you love aboard. That's why a guy works is so you can have something nice.

Why work, so you can run **it, you have to worry about? If you want to sail junk, you shouldn't have to have a job also. Might as well have something nice now, don't look like your body will be around in twenty years to abuse anymore. : ) Get a good Yammy now, and it will still start up in the first few turns 5000 hobbs hours from now. The way my mind works, once I've had to paddle a motor back to shore, it doesn't matter how much money I throw at it, I'm never able to completely trust them again. I'm always listening for that one glitch, know what I mean? : ) [ getting hit by one ship will change your thinking about great deals on boats : ) ]

Like catching the ole lady cheating, no matter how much therapy you send her to, and how many times she promises she ain't, you never quite know if she's banging the therapist. Once I've paddled her back to shore, we're done.

This resonated with my entire being. You're in my head, man. That's EXACTLY where I'm at right now, spending every second listening for bumps and knocks and changes in sound. Dreading the entire trip from the start of loading, precisely because of break down worries. Getting pissed that for all the ass busting, this is what I got and where I am. It's taking my head completely out of the game.

The one part I think we're deviating from, or at least I am starting to, is the depreciation. While I do have and totally promote a "never new" way of doing things, I do make exception for toys. Lord knows any 600R is gonna be flogged to hell and back, ya know? I mean, you'll probably luck out on a used 'Vette what with being owned almost solely by grey hairs, but you know better than to buy a used WRX STi because some dude half MY age just went and Ken Block'd it for 5 years, ya know?

I know I'm not thinking straight, but I'm starting to lean that way here. My first boat was used and was an absolute dream, my only complaint being that it was just 16'. This used boat... perhaps "nightmare" is extreme, but it's sure an annoying SOB. I dunno how open I'm gonna be with taking another chance... but then again I'm poor, so... lol
July 17th, 2019 at 6:52:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I was looking at something like this recently. http://boats.iboats.com/2000-grady-white-226-seafarer-wa-with-225-yamaha-4-stroke-kick/2124042.html

It's pretty much just me, is another reason I got rid of my last two boats. One houseboat, which towed my 18 Sea Nymph sort of like this one https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1990-sea-nymph-ss175-103612024/. I only posted the Sea Nymph because I was so enamored with the hull and the rubbing strakes on the bottom of it.

That last skiff you had was fine.

I'd rather by a hull that I like, without power and buy new motors. I know what I'm looking at with the hulls, and they have history that you can read up on. I go right down to the dealer and pick the motors I want these days, if I'm buying. But there to, I'm not afraid of a lightly used yammy.

Suzuki's and those other crap motors when you see them for sale, they always say, "and another one goes with it just for parts". Why does somebody have two of the damn things and giving one away?

This guy down the street has that Grady White with a walk around deck. I could take that just about anywhere, weather permitting. But that's the thing, just like motorcycles, you don't head out in shitty weather, but it comes up fast. I say you have to be big enough to take it, or fast enough to outrun it. Or, there's always just run it high enough on the beach, and float it again on a nice day.

IDK, probably 60/40 rivers/salt. But I'm not some fantastic water going savant. I'm like you, just older. You ran more bikes, I always crashed mine. If other fisherman would have been courteous and let me land the steelhead I hooked, I probably wouldn't have needed a boat. Even nowadays, 15 minutes from a launch and you have a pretty private fishing spot, where you can sometimes stop for sex when the fishing is lousy. : )
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 17th, 2019 at 8:02:01 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Face

This resonated with my entire being. You're in my head, man. That's EXACTLY where I'm at right now, spending every second listening for bumps and knocks and changes in sound. Dreading the entire trip from the start of loading, precisely because of break down worries. Getting pissed that for all the ass busting, this is what I got and where I am. It's taking my head completely out of the game.

Wow, our little Face is growing up. As we get older we realize peace of mind is much more important than the money it costs.
July 19th, 2019 at 9:44:00 AM permalink
Face
Wow, our little Face is growing up. As we get older we realize peace of mind is much more important than the money it costs.

'Fraid I've done all the growing up I'm gonna do. Now I'm just "getting old" and becoming even more easily irritable lol. SPEAKING OF...

I got the handy lil boat builder app down to $25k, I just couldn't figure out why "trailer included" was adding $2k every time I selected a trailer. So after ~13hrs research over the last 3 days, I just got off the phone with a dealer.

Long story short, before all the BS (tax, delivery, freight, etc), my spartan model came in with a starting baseline of "around $35k". W in all of TF. Weren't laws made about this s#$%?

$25k will put me back into a 16 footer (16' 9", technically)

wtf.

ETA: Hmm. Just got off the phone with my darling credit union. $450/m for 6yrs @ 2.7APR.

My back is already protesting lol.

C'mon, youthful indiscretion! Where you been?!
July 19th, 2019 at 10:01:51 AM permalink
DRich
New boats, just like new cars, prices are negotiable. I haven't done any research, but I would be shocked if you can't get 10% of the sticker price. Definitely talk to multiple dealers.
July 19th, 2019 at 10:11:44 AM permalink
Face
New boats, just like new cars, prices are negotiable. I haven't done any research, but I would be shocked if you can't get 10% of the sticker price. Definitely talk to multiple dealers.

Big problem there. I don't have the businessman bug. My teachings during childhood were largely communal as opposed to capitalistic. We don't charge what we can get, we charge what we need (think Amish without God). Hence my current ~$4/hr rate on all those side jobs. I quite simply do not know how to haggle or sell myself. Best I can do is what I've only ever done - gimme your best price. It either works or it don't. While I'm garbage at business, I'm positively unrivaled in my ability to walk away.

I dunno. I need a ringer. All I got in my bag o' tricks so far is having Pops buy it for the military discount lol.