18 Year Old Spoiled Brat refused maintenance.

Page 1 of 212>
March 4th, 2014 at 10:46:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
A NJ Judge has denied an 18 year old girl who claims to have been thrown out of her house by her parents a temporary motion of financial support while awaiting litigation of the underlying issue of whether they owe her money to continue her spoiled brat lifestyle of honor student with country club dances and well as their having to pay her for her impending college education.

The judge did not want to make parents afraid to throw a child out of the house but the girl maintained that their promises of paying for her college education were legally binding and that she has a right to a continued lifestyle rather than being required to hock an expensive dance gown so as to buy a loaf of bread while awaiting her day in court in a state of poverty and living in a dangerous low rent neighborhood.

What say you?

Remember... ordinarily the law distinguishes between Necessities and Necessaries. Necessities are food, clothing and shelter whereas Necessaries embraces expenditures that include consideration of lifestyle.

She claims that by living at home and following their rules regarding her behavior and associations she performed acts in reliance on their promises and they must pay for her lifestyle until the trial on the merits of her claim takes place.
March 5th, 2014 at 3:13:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
A NJ Judge has denied an 18 year old girl who claims to have been thrown out of her house by her parents a temporary motion of financial support while awaiting litigation of the underlying issue of whether they owe her money to continue her spoiled brat lifestyle of honor student with country club dances and well as their having to pay her for her impending college education.

Generally speaking parents don't throw kids out for no reason, not like this. There is clearly more to the story.

I get very concerned when we have kids suing their parents to pay for a college education. Some friend of my sisters once bragged that he sued his estranged dad to pay for his. What's next, will parents be legally required to fund the kid's IRA?

Oh, yeah, said kid above became a lawyer, but eventually had an issue that will make him the most overqualified paralegal in the state. When you escrow money you are not supposed to use it for something else.
The President is a fink.
July 26th, 2014 at 12:20:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Having abandoned the suit and moved back home, she recently filed for a restraining order against the violent behavior of the boyfriend that had sparked the argument with her family. As is common, he filed a restraining order against her violence too.
July 27th, 2014 at 4:03:17 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
In Canada, we parents are responsible for our child's well being until age 18 or the year they complete full-time studies at University. My child support payments to my ex-wife will continue until my child graduates University 4 years and 9 months from now. And I'm on the hook for a large percentage of her tuition costs as well.
July 27th, 2014 at 4:56:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: boymimbo
In Canada, we parents are responsible for our child's well being until age 18 or the year they complete full-time studies at University. My child support payments to my ex-wife will continue until my child graduates University 4 years and 9 months from now. And I'm on the hook for a large percentage of her tuition costs as well.

I never could believe parents being on the hook for paying for college. A sure sign of an out of control society to be sure. Support them to the end of the high school year in which they turn 18. After that it should be optional.
The President is a fink.
July 27th, 2014 at 5:21:53 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
For married parents, it's optional. For those who are divorced, it's not.
July 27th, 2014 at 8:43:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
I never could believe parents being on the hook for paying for college. A sure sign of an out of control society to be sure. Support them to the end of the high school year in which they turn 18. After that it should be optional.

Some states require you pay child support
till the kid gets out of college. Which could
be 25 if he goes to graduate school.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 28th, 2014 at 3:06:13 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: boymimbo

What if she goes on to a doctoral program?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 28th, 2014 at 3:22:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Some states require you pay child support
till the kid gets out of college. Which could
be 25 if he goes to graduate school.

Then we wonder why there are more and more people out there with such an entitled attitude.

FWIW the kid I mentioned a few years back got charged with theft from an escrow account and when I asked an attorney I worked with what his probably fate was I was told, "if he has a lawyer friend and is liked he will end up the most overqualified paralegal in town if he is lucky."
The President is a fink.
July 28th, 2014 at 11:51:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I believe it is true that 'your goose is cooked' for using escrow money even if it did not result in any inconvenience to the client.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 1 of 212>