standalone commercials

Page 6 of 7« First<34567>
September 19th, 2016 at 6:19:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I could probably put together a soundtrack of top 40 hits that will make you pray for death and make you wish you could listen to the Beatles songs instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSP0e5rXUl8

Just pretend you're locked away like Mandella and forced to listen to repeating soundtracks.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 19th, 2016 at 7:19:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
Well since 3 of the top 4 most covered songs of all time are Beatle songs .

Out of a total of 229 songs written by
the Beatles, that's pathetic. You made
my case for me, most of the lyrics to
their songs are just dumb. I was
there when people were going nuts
for them. I didn't get it then, I still
don't. They always bored me to tears.
Yellow Submarine? Irritating about
covers it.

In the town where I was born
Lived a man who sailed to sea
And he told us of his life
In the land of submarines
So we sailed up to the sun
Till we found the sea of green
And we lived beneath the waves
In our yellow submarine

We all live in a yellow submarine
Yellow submarine, yellow submarine

And our friends are all on board
Many more of them live next door
And the band begins to play

{Full speed ahead, Mr. Boatswain [pronounced bo'sun], full speed ahead!
Full speed it is, Sgt.!
Cut the cable, drop the cable!
Aye, sir, aye!
Captain, captain!…
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 19th, 2016 at 7:26:07 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
I could probably put together a soundtrack of top 40 hits that will make you pray for death and make you wish you could listen to the Beatles songs instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSP0e5rXUl8

Just pretend you're locked away like Mandella and forced to listen to repeating soundtracks.

Interesting back story on Sugar Sugar
After Don Kirshner created the Monkees, the band started fighting him for control of the Music
They had a meeting and Mike Nesmith demanded control
Mike Nesmith could care less if the next album sold thousands instead of millions
Don Kirshner offered the Monkees Sugar Sugar. Told them it would be guaranteed hit
Monkees turned it down
So that's why he created a cartoon band, he got sick of fighting with the Monkees
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 19th, 2016 at 7:32:34 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
their songs are just dumb.

It was written for a cartoon
By then the Beatles were tired of making movies
They were still under contract for 2 more movies and didn't want to put in the effort
Therefore a cartoon for 1 movie and a rooftop concert documentary for the 2nd movie

John Lennon was surprised some of his song lyrics were studied
"I just shove some sounds together then shove some words on top"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 19th, 2016 at 7:59:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Lennon and McCartney are considered a first rate song writing team by other song writers. At least I've heard that said more than once.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 19th, 2016 at 8:05:01 PM permalink
rxwine
You ever see the guys who can make art are out of stuff people throw away? That's what an artist can do.

Some people can take worthless items and make art. Some people can ruin a perfect piece of marble.

I think the Beatles could even make nonsense work.
September 19th, 2016 at 8:40:40 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
The Beatles (Lennon?) wrote some
of the stupidest, nonsensical songs
in the history of music. .... But the songs
themselves were pure nonsense,
read the lyrics sometime. If they
were written today, nobody would
sing them, let alone record them.

That award would go to Yes, from the early 70s. I loved Yes, but their lyrics were absolute nonsensical.
September 19th, 2016 at 8:45:16 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
their songs are just dumb. I was
there when people were going nuts
for them. I didn't get it then, I still
don't. q]

3 out of 229 is over 1% of all the songs they wrote were good enough for a thousand other artists to record. To quote EB "you made my case for me".

Remember EB I was also in high school when they hit North America and watched their first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show live.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 19th, 2016 at 8:50:32 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Did Bob just claim that 75% of the top 4 songs ever covered being by one band is pathetic? They could hardly get all 229 songs in top 4 now could they.

Bob is to music criticism what Kim Jong Il is to International relations.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 1st, 2017 at 2:45:38 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Fleastiff
Recall perhaps that viral video "First Kiss" sponsored by fashion retailer WREN in Los Angeles. Many people enjoyed the video and didnt even realize it was actually a commercial even though it started with WREN presents. The 20 first kissers were wearing WREN clothing but it was a subtle effect.
Maybe things have gone too far with this advertising and data mining stuff.

I happened to have become mildly interested in blog audience leveraging. A topic that is perhaps best illustrated by a sixteen year old girl who started a fashion blog, leveraged her tremendous clout into a wholesale fashion business, a web site that featured herself wearing a few dozen outfits in a video of her singing about Mia Farrow taking Andre Previn from Dory Previn. The website also featured the famed "First Kiss'' video of her actor/actress friends in upscale North Hollywood kissing for the first time. The video went mega-viral (my term) without viewers realizing it was a fashion commercial. (I posted a bit about this in our Viral Video thread quite some time ago). The web audience was then leveraged into bar and restaurant plugs for the Hip and Trendy Crowd in Los Angeles and its skid row rebirth and then into the newly discovered real estate boom in the Los Angeles Skid Row area where apartments and condos were built, sold and managed. If you have a fashion blog oriented to the Hip and Trendy in downtown LA, its not hard to sell out your real estate development in record time since you are driving people to nearby hip bars and nearby hip restaurants and can easily feature nearby hip realestate opportunities.

So this very brief sojourn through the economics of blog leveraging (sixteen year old girl to multimillion dollar real estate mogul) just caused me to notice one thing.

I logged onto Slashdot for my morning fix of techie news and lo and behold, the first ad pushed to me was for the WREN Studio Apartmentss in the former skid row area of Los Angeles. One very brief trip through the blogosphere that took me perhaps twenty minutes at the most and less than twelve hours later, its part of my advertising profile determining what ads are pushed to me by major sites.
Page 6 of 7« First<34567>