Malaysian Jet

Page 3 of 34<123456>Last »
March 10th, 2014 at 2:03:27 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Fleastiff
Quote: beachbumbabs
A good friend of mine in the business has provided a pretty well-balanced synopsis so far;
LDougWicker
FoolsGold has pending comment at that site admitting that it is indeed very rare for a catastrophic incident to occur at flight altitudes, but not impossible. FG points out that uncommanded activation of the thrust reversers would put the plane in a full 90 degree nose down dive and would be an event which accounts for the other known items of: No transponder, No ACARS, No radio chatter, No debris field and No "ping" or activation from an ELT. No glide angle at all. No maneuvering. No ability to move control surfaces at all much less to effect sufficient control surface movement to effect a recovery or even alter the full nose down dive angle.
In effect, the airliner "cratered" with crew unable to do anything about it or even to restore partial electronics or partial hydraulics.

That is why there is no glide and no debris field.

What sayeth the experts?

Given the record of B777 safety and the fail safes in place to guard against this type of event, I would have to say it's exceedingly unlikely this could have happened. I have a good friend who's a VERY senior B777 captain on a US major; I wrote her and, if she replies, will make it available.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 10th, 2014 at 2:22:53 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS) is a digital datalink system for transmission of short, relatively simple messages between aircraft and ground stations via radio or satellite. For Air France 447 a total of 19 warnings (WRN) in green and 5 failure reports (FLR) in pink and were issued in 4 minutes.

It would seem that they don't have a single ACARS message for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.
March 10th, 2014 at 2:52:59 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Quote: Pacomartin

It would seem that they don't have a single ACARS message for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

Completely SWAGging, the whole thing feels like the EgyptAir the copilot took down. Between the 2 false passport men who both booked 1 way tickets and the absence of crew communications, for a relatively short hop there would be only 2 people in the cockpit, so if one was a screwball, he could easily have done something about the other, as simple as locking him out of the cockpit on a bathroom break. And if they thought there was a need, the 2 guys in the back could take over the cabin long enough to kill the airplane. If they had suffered a bomb, enough debris would have surfaced by now with the explosive decompression that they would know that's what happened. But I still highly doubt the airframe itself failed.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 10th, 2014 at 3:24:53 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Co-pilot 'crashed EgyptAir jumbo as act of revenge'

The same charge was made regarding a 1999 crash.
March 10th, 2014 at 6:55:19 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Co-pilot 'crashed EgyptAir jumbo as act of revenge'

The same charge was made regarding a 1999 crash.

Yes, that's the accident I'm talking about. I think this will turn out to be a similar situation.
March 10th, 2014 at 9:12:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Either a pilot took it down or a missile took out
the cabin area. If it was a bomb in the center
of the plane, they would have had time to
send out a distress call. It happened fast or
was an inside the cockpit job.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 10th, 2014 at 11:39:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
I think Amelia Earhart's plane was never found.
You dangle cutting edge technology in front of the Japanese ... and expect the plane to be found? Several advanced features of her plane were immediately incorporated in Japanese military aircraft.
March 10th, 2014 at 11:54:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Which is extremely disconcerting and is one reason why I rejected a deep stall situation.

ACARS has a complex "Message Grouping and Priority Indication" system and there is a One Minute "window" prior to transmission wherein messages will be grouped by system. Also there is a detection priority such as any system that detects its own error is of lesser importance than a system that detects a different system's error.

ACARS uplinks do fail from time to time.

This one minute window is what makes people think there was a catastrophe totally separating the electronics from power source and antennae.
March 11th, 2014 at 12:15:26 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff

This one minute window is what makes people think there was a catastrophe totally separating the electronics from power source and antennae.

Missile..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 11th, 2014 at 12:57:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Missile..

The seeming lack of any debris makes the scenario that the plane landed on water intact, and sank without breaking up.

One of the fake passport holders was a garden variety illegal immigrant whose mother was waiting for him in Germany. It is starting to look like the fakes are a dead end.
Page 3 of 34<123456>Last »