Original Sin?

March 19th, 2014 at 12:37:30 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
You are correct, God's one and only begotten Son has died for all of our sins, past, present, and future. Our acceptance of this forgiveness is what leads to our Justification.

So the baptism is acceptance…by a newborn baby who has not the slightest clue or care as to what is happening - how can the newborn actually accept the forgiveness (and please do not say it is done on the baby's behalf as all humans have free will - regardless of age, right?)
March 19th, 2014 at 1:37:08 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
But ask yourself concerning your racing or Nareed in regards to her cooking, what if all the obstacles were removed what would you do then?

It depends what you mean by "obstacles." My idea of paradise is a kitchen as big as a house, where the food preps itself (all the chopping, seeding, coring and so on, but not marinating, blending, whisking, etc), there are speakers all over for audio books, and where the dishes and utensils clean themselves. Then I could concentrate on cooking. Oh, and with a BIG supermarket next door so I could shop for ingredients at any time.

Of course this is just a start. I'd also like a quiet place to write.

I could have much of that, too, if I wanted it enough.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 19th, 2014 at 1:57:38 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Face, in my Christian Anthropology I do think the desire for perfection is absolutely universal! In our heart of hearts we are not fine with "good enough" unless our "good enough" is on a sliding scale that can always challenge us to go further.

I'm aware that this seems very different than what we observe, unless we use this idea to see the reason behind the unhappiness or dissatisfaction in so many people. The concept of original sin is not defeated by so many people who seem to settle for okay, but is proved by how many of those people are frustrated with themselves and the situations of life they find themselves in, which seemingly force them to accept mediocrity. There is no doubt that perfection is impossible to attain in this life. This fact is precisely what is particularly maddening for everyone, even those who are bold and risk defeat in their pursuit of it. For those who seem to have given up even the pursuit of perfection they struggle with why no amount of TV or other forms of entertainment can truly fulfill them.

Right now we all have limited space, time, physical ability, intellect, jobs, etc., etc. that will always be a governor to how fast we can go or what we can accomplish. But ask yourself concerning your racing or Nareed in regards to her cooking, what if all the obstacles were removed what would you do then? Then think past our passionate hobbies or gifts to the idea of loving your spouse or child, what if you could do that perfectly as well? Yes, this is what we ALL want and try as we might anything less than perfect leaves us wanting or dreaming for more. This dream of perfection that we have no earthly experience of is not a fantasy, it is the reality that you and I and everyone where made for a perfect eternity with God in Heaven. Our weakened condition calls out for a savior to make up in us what is lacking through sin, so that one day we can finally be perfect and truly, truly, happy.

You're killing me, Father. So many thoughts, so little time ponder them =)

I'm still unsure about this idea of perfection. I'm unsure of what the desire means. I can think of a few things I have done "to perfection". A game, maybe. Played on the hardest difficulty and completed with no errors. A perfect game of Pac-man, for instance, is possible and a hell of an accomplishment. I was a hair's breadth away from being "the fastest card counter in the world", a title I worked towards for many hours, but fell short. It was certainly something I tried for.

But for me, I dunno. It's almost never the destination, it's the journey, if you know what I mean. Doing something perfectly, if that's possible, would mark the end. It would give me a title, maybe, but it's not the title I'd cherish. It would be the journey, the struggle, the failure, the triumph. The learning and the growing. Even here and on WoV; I like making a good post and having it judged as such. But I love making a post which is challenged and/or proven wrong. Therein lies the real value, that is where I learn, and gain more than all the praise put together.

I suppose, like every other thing about me, I'm torn. I see the strive towards your perfection and how it might fit your belief. But I also see where it ends short of where your belief says.

Something to continue pondering, I'm sure.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 19th, 2014 at 2:17:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't mind contemplating inferring the existence of a creator, but I'd rather start with what we know and deconstruct.

Similarly if all you found for the existence of aliens is a UFO, you look at everything you can to figure out what it tells you about the originators of it. Does it have seats? How big are they, what shape? Etc,, Analyze all that data and try to put it together.

So, the Universe is what we have to look at. Maybe I can buy some ideas from Christianity about a creator but at some point there's a whole lot of important information that really can't be confirmed, and is someone's word basically.

So, I can accept a premise of a god based on what we actually know about the Universe and supposing there had to be a creator. At least that starts a fact based discussion of a possibility. I can live with that idea, even if not believe anything has been confirmed.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 20th, 2014 at 7:30:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Here is a great quote from C.S. Lewis about Original Sin (from Mere Christianity):

What Satan put into the heads of our remote ancestors was the idea that they could “be like
gods”–could set up on their own as if they had created themselves—be their own masters—invent some
sort of happiness for themselves outside God, apart from God.
And out of that hopeless attempt has come nearly all that we call human history–money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires,
slavery—the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him
happy.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 20th, 2014 at 8:10:08 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Here is a great quote from C.S. Lewis about Original Sin (from Mere Christianity):

What Satan put into the heads of our remote ancestors was the idea that they could “be like
gods”–could set up on their own as if they had created themselves—be their own masters—invent some
sort of happiness for themselves outside God, apart from God.
And out of that hopeless attempt has come nearly all that we call human history–money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires,
slavery—the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him
happy.

But it is all words written by men...

Also FrG...how do you reconcile the Bible's liberal borrowing/plagiarizing from countless other creation stories throughout its preceding history...?
March 20th, 2014 at 8:48:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
So the baptism is acceptance…by a newborn baby who has not the slightest clue or care as to what is happening )

Baptism is a ritual to make the parents feel
good and snag the kid at an early age. He's
now a Christian, it's a done deal. Then they
can start laying the guilt on him as soon
as he can understand it. The guilt is what
keeps them going back for more and more
guilt, the Church thrives on it. The jokes about
Catholic guilt are endless and ancient.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 20th, 2014 at 9:17:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
To do better, to be perfect... .
I'm not too sure. In a few economic systems there is no incentive to do more and in France it would often be an annoyance to have a transaction that disrupted the existing clock-mechanism.

This notion of Original Sin reminds me of those who advocate that I should constantly go around trying to view how the handicapped can participate. If I go into a restaurant, I want to enjoy my meal, not analyze if someone in a wheel chair can do so. I see no reason to burden myself with constant thoughts of the handicapped.

So I find this notion of Original Sin a bit like constantly worrying about the Battle of Hastings in 1066. Interesting, profound...but hardly relevant to my daily life.

Our Gambling Priest insists there must be a clockmaker because there is a clock. Yet it seems that any such clockmaker devotes his attention only to the clock not the people who view it. And it seems the clock does not deal with the question of original sin anyway.

So shall we all debate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin and if a tree falls in the forest does it make an unheard noise? Seems even more relevant than a supposed conversation with a talking snake several million years ago.
March 20th, 2014 at 9:52:28 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
You simply cannot understand the human person without asking why we even have a concept of perfection when so much of what we experience is broken and difficult? Why do we long for something better and pray for a world where no one is handicapped? It is as if the clockmaker has designed it so that we can know when things are not working properly and come to Him to find the missing spring. Christianity believes our world and ourselves were made perfect but something has gone wrong. This concept is the answer why we long for a perfection we have never seen and implicitly believe that in our everyday lives things are not as they should be. A discussion on original sin is the opposite of unimportant - it is essential to figuring out ourselves, the clock we gaze at, and the one who made it.

By the way if one more person brings up a talking snake I am going to scream.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 21st, 2014 at 12:17:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
A discussion on original sin is the opposite of unimportant - .

Original sin is a silly intellectual concept, there's
no way around it. Designed to induce guilt in
people, it's almost evil in its intent. Why, you
were BORN a sinner, there's no way out but
to repent. The original sales pitch..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.