Original Sin?

March 15th, 2017 at 6:38:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
Heading away on a mission trip to Trinidad and Tobago for a couple of weeks.

Have a good trip.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 21st, 2017 at 2:05:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Never saw this until today.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 21st, 2017 at 3:51:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Never saw this until today.

The Gay ballet dancer is an atheist?
Who's shocked.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 21st, 2017 at 4:07:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
The Gay ballet dancer is an atheist?
Who's shocked.

He doesn't care about being called gay, but says he isn't. Still married to the same woman for over 30 years.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 22nd, 2017 at 2:27:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Opportunities for mockery and derision abound, but I actually find this rather sad: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/jesus-christ-tomb-jerusalem-restored-collapse-tunnels/

The "holy sepulcher" is, after all, a major historical site. It's a part of Western heritage as well.

I do wonder, though, why no Lear Jet and Mansion US evangelist has offered to donate money to the restoration project. Oh, well, at least why they're not collecting money from their followers for it, and skimming their "fair share" off the top.
March 22nd, 2017 at 6:31:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
Opportunities for mockery and derision abound, but I actually find this rather sad: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/jesus-christ-tomb-jerusalem-restored-collapse-tunnels/

I like the women in the video rubbing
their hand on the tomb and then
rubbing their babies head. They have
to Catholic, superstition run amok.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 28th, 2017 at 8:15:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Interesting tidbit here:

https://skepchick.org/2017/03/are-atheists-scared-of-death/

So a quick analytical: it's about certainty.

Both atheists and the very religious are certain of what happens at/after death. The latter are wrong, but that's not relevant. The point is both groups know for sure what to expect, so there's no fear of the unknown.

Now for something far more interesting:

An abstract danger, like death, is not the same thing as a concrete one. For example, are you afraid of open-heart surgery? Unless you've had it, know you need it, or think you'll need it, probably not. It's just something that's out there, which happens to other people. Are teenagers afraid of ageing? I wasn't (now, well...)

So, will you fear death when it's near? The second comment on the post makes just that point.

The answer is simple: you don't know, and very likely you can't know. Not until it happens.
March 28th, 2017 at 10:17:22 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
There has always been a difference between death and dying. We know death is inevitable but we feel it is remote in time and in reality. When death is not a remote event because we are actually on a battlefield or in a hospital or dealing with quacks, views can change but its still inevitable, yet it seems that even a person who is 108 will want to live to 109.
March 28th, 2017 at 5:06:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed

So, will you fear death when it's near? The second comment on the post makes just that point.

The answer is simple: you don't know, and very likely you can't know. Not until it happens.

That is a good question. I sometimes day dream about some heroic death for Christ or dying saving someone and I am never scared in those dreams. However, something that I have too much time to think about or that I know is coming for a long time might be fearful for me.

If I was an atheist I think I would be more confused by life than fearful of death. If we are just gone and everything we do is just destined to be gone and has no lasting presence, meaning, or value it would seem that death would be a welcome thing.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 28th, 2017 at 6:00:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
If we are just gone and everything we do is just destined to be gone and has no lasting presence, meaning, or value it would seem that death would be a welcome thing.

Have you ever wondered how things might look without the lens of prejudice?