Original Sin?

May 12th, 2017 at 11:49:56 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Nareed
Then why is it funny if I suggest that instead of hearing God/Jesus/The Other Guy, Bush the younger heard "Could it be....SATAN?"

Considering the death, bloodshed, hardship, destruction, waste, expenditures, wounded, maimed, and regional instability which led to even more death, destruction, hardship, maimed and wounded, could it not have been Satan's doing? According to your theology?
See the "Screwtape letters" by C.S. Lewis for some good insight to this question.
May 12th, 2017 at 11:54:22 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Then why is it funny if I suggest that instead of hearing God/Jesus/The Other Guy, Bush the younger heard "Could it be....SATAN?"

Considering the death, bloodshed, hardship, destruction, waste, expenditures, wounded, maimed, and regional instability which led to even more death, destruction, hardship, maimed and wounded, could it not have been Satan's doing? According to your theology?

It certainly could be and there is nothing funny at all about that.

What is funny and deserving of satire is those who see Satan lurking in every corner and the strict fundamentalists and moral police that are quick to condemn anyone but themselves.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 12th, 2017 at 11:54:45 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: pew
See the "Screwtape letters" by C.S. Lewis for some good insight to this question.

Amen! One of the best books ever written!!!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 12th, 2017 at 11:56:37 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
The 'evidence' for you of god and
Satan is always 'overwhelming'.
I'm glad the rest of us have evidence
standards higher than they needed
in the 13th century, obviously your
church does not.

One of the clearest things we can all agree on is that for some reason we all do things that we wish we wouldn't and don't do things we want to and realize would be good. What explanation is there for this other than some outside force working on us?
May 12th, 2017 at 12:01:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
It certainly could be and there is nothing funny at all about that.

What is funny and deserving of satire is those who see Satan lurking in every corner and the strict fundamentalists and moral police that are quick to condemn anyone but themselves.

It depends. What is your belief regarding Bush the younger? Who made the decision to go to war? Was it God, Satan, or Bush?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 12th, 2017 at 12:02:13 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
Those three things, scripture, tradition, magesterium, are based on believing that god told things to people. I don't know if Bush talked to someone else or if he didn't. If he did, do you think they told him something other than you are the president and follow your conscience?

Divine Revelation is a completely different thing than our own personal experiences of God. Discerning the will of God in our own prayer life is difficult because of our weakness, sin, our emotional baggage, malformed consciences, ignorance, and our strong desires. Like in all things we need objective standards to realize some things that are obviously not of God. No spiritual director worth their salt would just say follow your conscience, no matter whose conscience it is. You have to subject what you think might be the Holy Spirit to the light of Revelation and since they can never truly contradict each other you can immediately rule out some things as being not from the Holy Spirit. An example in the secular world might be if you decide in your own mind and heart that a developing fetus is not a human being with rights you then have to expose that idea to the light of science and realize that you are objectively wrong.
May 12th, 2017 at 12:03:40 PM permalink
FrGamble
It depends. What is your belief regarding Bush the younger? Who made the decision to go to war? Was it God, Satan, or Bush?

I can say with confidence it was not God. Every wrong decision is not always directly Satan interfering.
May 12th, 2017 at 12:09:30 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I think it was President Cheney and the deep state. As always, follow the money.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 12th, 2017 at 12:34:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
What explanation is there for this other than some outside force working on us?

See? 13th century reasoning at it's best.
God is at the top of the list for the answer
to any question. Who needs logic and reason,
they are way over rated. Just thank or blame
god or Satan and move on.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 12th, 2017 at 12:38:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I can say with confidence it was not God. .

I can find 10 god people who would
say differently. You're mistaking your
opinion for actual knowledge again.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.