Original Sin?

May 12th, 2017 at 12:46:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: petroglyph
I think it was President Cheney and the deep state. As always, follow the money.

Really? I've always blamed Hillary Clinton :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 12th, 2017 at 12:49:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
I can say with confidence it was not God.

But that's whom Bush claims it was. What evidence do you have against it? There is precedent, you know. Did not Jesus urge Constantine into battle?
May 12th, 2017 at 12:54:23 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
I can find 10 god people who would
say differently. You're mistaking your
opinion for actual knowledge again.

See if you can find any Catholics who would say it met the requirements for a just war.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 12th, 2017 at 12:55:41 PM permalink
FrGamble
See? 13th century reasoning at it's best.
God is at the top of the list for the answer
to any question. Who needs logic and reason,
they are way over rated. Just thank or blame
god or Satan and move on.

You certainly don't seem to have any use for logic and reason. Tell me why you think we don't do what we feel we should or why we do things that we know we shouldn't.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 27th, 2017 at 12:39:58 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Looks like you're going to have some job security, FrGamble.

The future is going to leave many people disconnected, depressed and trying to fill a void

Quote:
Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates built billion-dollar technology companies in two very different areas, but they both agree on the biggest threats to American jobs.

At his Harvard University commencement speech on Thursday, Facebook (FB) chief executive Zuckerberg, had some tough words for the Class of 2017. “Our generation will have to deal with tens of millions of jobs replaced by automation like self-driving cars and trucks,” he said, adding, “When our parents graduated, purpose reliably came from your job, your church, your community,. But today, technology and automation are eliminating many jobs. Membership in communities is declining. Many people feel disconnected and depressed, and are trying to fill a void.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technology/when-bill-gates-and-mark-zuckerberg-sound-the-same-dire-warning-about-jobs-it%E2%80%99s-time-to-listen/ar-BBBd3KQ?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 27th, 2017 at 5:48:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
Looks like you're going to have some job security, FrGamble.

You really think so?

"The Electric Monk was a labour-saving device, like a dishwasher or a video recorder. Dishwashers washed tedious dishes for you, thus saving you the bother of washing them yourself, video recorders watched tedious television for you, thus saving you the bother of looking at it yourself; Electric Monks believed things for you, thus saving you what was becoming an increasingly onerous task, that of believing all the things the world expected you to believe.

"Excuse me sir, would you like to hear about the blessings of our lord and savio--"
"Tell it to the electric monk."
May 27th, 2017 at 8:14:31 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I don't know. 342 pages and I still don't know what 'original sin' is supposed to be and I sure don't think it relates to automation and the end of meaningful work or atleast the end of gainful employment.

Electronic Priest? Well, they had a computer program that did Rogerian Analysis several decades ago. I don't know if it replaced shrinks or not but it sure worked well and even fooled a few people at the time in its Eliza version.

Just wars? If the church gets more money or more power, its a just war.

Po Suu, the Chinese name for Persia, was the root of the Farsi traders who established forts for use by caravans. Even today, the Chinese street names, company names and trading housesin Hong Kong are all actually Farsi names. I would imagine that if we could untangle the Vatican finances we would find similar reach of its tentacles. Its all about money and power, its never about morality. Its never about truth, its about fear of the unknown.
May 31st, 2017 at 4:04:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Ask this of the most devout priest. Your
bishop knows the Heimlich maneuver,
a proven scientific method to save a
person from choking. Ask the priest if
he's choking in front of his bishop, does
he want the Heinlich, or does he want
the bishop to pray for him to stop
choking. Does he want god or science.
Does he want a proven method or does
he want superstition.

It's really that simple. Atheism is just that,
science or superstition.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 1st, 2017 at 8:50:21 AM permalink
FrGamble
Ask this of the most devout priest. Your
bishop knows the Heimlich maneuver,
a proven scientific method to save a
person from choking. Ask the priest if
he's choking in front of his bishop, does
he want the Heinlich, or does he want
the bishop to pray for him to stop
choking. Does he want god or science.
Does he want a proven method or does
he want superstition.

It's really that simple. Atheism is just that,
science or superstition.

This is a false dichotomy. You can have a should have both faith and science. They go hand in hand. I would want both the hemlich maneuver and prayer.
June 1st, 2017 at 11:53:50 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I would want both the hemlich maneuver and prayer.

But why? That shows you're no different than
a non religious person. Take the tried and true
science first, something you know works and
will probably save your life.

As a priest, you should set an example for your
faith. Refuse the science, let your bishop handle
it with prayer to your loving god, who would
surely spare your life by intervening.

Seriously, of course you would take the science.
You have as much faith in prayer and what it's
really worth as I do. All Christians are that way.
They talk a big game but in reality they have
just as many doubts as the hardest atheist does.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.