Original Sin?

June 12th, 2017 at 12:32:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
Is it a sin to be glad that someone died?

Sin doesn't exist, there is no god
to offend. The whole idea of it is
ridiculous.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 12th, 2017 at 12:37:27 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: pew

Quote: Dalex64
I think if I see something happen that has never happened before, you aren't the one who knows how I will react.

No, But God does and He clearly spells it out for you.

Where exactly did God spell out how I would react if god healed an amputee?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 12th, 2017 at 1:09:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Sin doesn't exist, there is no god
to offend. The whole idea of it is
ridiculous.

Why do you keep saying this? The concept of sin and feeling bad for doing what we know is wrong is something universal. Whatever deity or lack thereof you believe in we all know what it is like to offend someone or ourselves through our actions. It is the most non ridiculous realities that we all must face. Why do you keep saying it doesn't exist? You sound as silly as when you keep repeating without any reason that God does not exist or when you give us the objective truth that there is no objective truth.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 12th, 2017 at 1:30:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
Why do you keep saying this? The concept of sin and feeling bad.

'Feeling bad?' What the heck are you talking
about.

sin
noun
1. an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.

Sin is a direct offense against your god,
that's the Bible definition. There is no
god, so there is nobody to sin against.
Fairly simple, isn't it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 12th, 2017 at 1:45:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
The concept of sin and feeling bad for doing what we know is wrong is something universal.

Not exactly.

The Judeo-Christian, mostly Christian, view seems to be, and I may be interpreting this wrong, that a sin is a moral stain on your soul, which only Jehovah/Jesus can wipe clean.

Doing something wrong, like forgetting to leave a tip, and feeling bad about it is normal. Thinking you need divine intervention to set it right, is ridiculous.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 12th, 2017 at 2:16:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Thinking you need divine intervention to set it right, is ridiculous.

No, Jesus died on the cross for the
people who feel badly about not
tipping, you're wrong. It's in Paul's
book of sinful etiquette that didn't
make it into the NT.
June 12th, 2017 at 7:59:59 PM permalink
FrGamble
Not exactly.

The Judeo-Christian, mostly Christian, view seems to be, and I may be interpreting this wrong, that a sin is a moral stain on your soul, which only Jehovah/Jesus can wipe clean.

Doing something wrong, like forgetting to leave a tip, and feeling bad about it is normal. Thinking you need divine intervention to set it right, is ridiculous.

I like the Catechism's definition of where it says, "[Sin] wounds the nature of man and is injurious to human solidarity." This wound is not just healed by God, but God requires us to participate in the healing process. Jesus frees us from the guilt and shame of sin and the despair it can cause so that we may be free to live good and moral lives.

You need some intervention to stop the cycle of "stinking thinking" so that you don't allow the mistake of not tipping someone cause you get down on yourself or allow such stinginess to define who you are as a person. We all make mistakes, many much graver than forgetting a tip, we need help to not justify our sin or to allow it to consume us. If you don't find divine intervention needed for such a task I am curious as to how you go about it.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 12th, 2017 at 8:05:43 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
'Feeling bad?' What the heck are you talking
about.

sin
noun
1. an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.

Sin is a direct offense against your god,
that's the Bible definition. There is no
god, so there is nobody to sin against.
Fairly simple, isn't it.

It is so much more than an offense against God. It is an act against right reason, truth, and your conscience. It is secondarily an offense against God. Think of it this way. If you get caught speeding you did not directly offend your dad, but when you get home your dad is dissappointed in you. Why is that? Sin exists and is defined outside of a relationship with God. Think of those who don't have loving fathers. The act is against reason, truth, and it is injurious to yourself and to others - this is the case even if you are an atheist. If you are a believer than a God who loves you is hurt and wants you to be better and offers your forgiveness and freedom. If you are not a believer you feel bad and desire to do something to make yourself feel better or justify your actions or pretend their really is no sin or get drunk or a myraid of other things.
June 12th, 2017 at 8:31:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
If I could draw cartoons, I would make one dedicated to FrGamble and Evenbob.

The caption would be, "Everyone has a cross to bear."

It would be a slightly slumped over priest trudging up a hill with a human figure (EvenBob) strapped to his back. EB would have a rope in his hands tied to a tree down below.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 12th, 2017 at 9:58:53 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I have gotten a lot from the discourse. I am glad everyone that contributes has done so. I have never been exposed to religion the ways you people have stated it.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW