Original Sin?

June 14th, 2017 at 2:23:08 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: FrGamble
Original Sin is the same for all Christians I think. If not I would be curious to know the distinctions or different thoughts on the matter and that fits in the theme of this thread.
What I meant was there's probably not a lot of practicing Catholics on this board.
June 14th, 2017 at 2:28:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
And from someone who claims to never make a mistake?!? .

I said I never make mistakes??? What I SAID
was, (listen carefully now, not like you usually
do) what I said was, I take responsibility for
my actions, I don't beg for forgiveness like
a wimp or grovel with apologies. I never
blame others for my actions.

If you have injured in any way yourself, others, or society you have sinned.

Horsecrap and baloney. Sin is a made up
emotion to heap religious guilt on people.
There is no god to sin against, what a
childish and petty idea sin is.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 14th, 2017 at 3:12:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
I said I never make mistakes??? What I SAID
was, (listen carefully now, not like you usually
do) what I said was, I take responsibility for
my actions, I don't beg for forgiveness like
a wimp or grovel with apologies. I never
blame others for my actions.

Oh okay, you make mistakes but don't ask for forgiveness for them. It is up to the people who get hurt to control their own response and you have nothing to do with it. Tell me what is the difference between never making a mistake and never admitting you made a mistake?

Quote:
Horsecrap and baloney. Sin is a made up
emotion to heap religious guilt on people.
There is no god to sin against, what a
childish and petty idea sin is.

So do you think only religious people, or only Christians feel guilty? You know the only ones who don't feel guilt and recognize the need to give and receive forgiveness don't you?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 14th, 2017 at 3:36:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Tell me what is the difference between never making a mistake and never admitting you made a mistake?

Mr Twisty, Mr Pretzel Maker, you missed
your calling. You love to twist and adjust
things till they fit into your pencil thin
world view. You think you're a master
at putting out things I never said and
then demanding an answer to them.

I said I accept responsibility for what
I do. You have somehow twisted that
into I never admit mistakes because
I never beg for forgiveness. Stunning
jump on your part, but par for the course.

Quote:
So do you think only religious people, or only Christians feel guilty?

What does guilt have to do with sin.
The two are not related. Sin is a
violation against god. You can feel
guilty on the way to work because
you forgot to feed your cat. Next
you'll say Jesus died on the cross for
your cat guilt.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 15th, 2017 at 5:08:59 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob

I said I accept responsibility for what
I do.

So you would ask for forgiveness if what you did was a mistake or hurt yourself, others, or society? I'm just clarifying here that is all.

Quote:
What does guilt have to do with sin.
The two are not related.

Guilt is what normally we feel after we sin. It is not a bad thing it is actually a good thing, it brings about change and healing. The only problem is when you ignore guilt and pretend it doesn't exist while it eats away at you inside or obsess over it so it paralyzes you.

Let me say again that sin as offensive to God is only a after effect of sin for those who actually believe in God. For those who don't and for believers of all types sin is universally known as that which goes against reason and truth, leaves us feeling guilty, and cause pain or hurt for ourselves, others, or society.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 15th, 2017 at 5:17:54 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
So you would ask for forgiveness if what you did was a mistake or hurt yourself, others, or society? I'm just clarifying here that is all.

Guilt is what normally we feel after we sin. It is not a bad thing it is actually a good thing, it brings about change and healing. The only problem is when you ignore guilt and pretend it doesn't exist while it eats away at you inside or obsess over it so it paralyzes you.

Let me say again that sin as offensive to God is only a after effect of sin for those who actually believe in God. For those who don't and for believers of all types sin is universally known as that which goes against reason and truth, leaves us feeling guilty, and cause pain or hurt for ourselves, others, or society.

Guilt is a normal feeling after we know we've done something wrong (doesn't have to be sin) and haven't righted it. Many people sin and don't feel guilt. Many people do wrong things and don't feel guilt because they immediately justify themselves. AKA - I don't ever have to say I was wrong (claim personal responsibility) on an internet forum because no one else does. In this case, we have all been wrong before on a forum, but I have yet to see some members (cough cough) take individual responsibility for that.

I don't ask God for forgiveness for certain sins. I just resolve them directly with the person involved. I rarely ask for forgiveness for individual sins. The Lord's prayer covers that quite well.
June 15th, 2017 at 6:54:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: boymimbo
Guilt is a normal feeling after we know we've done something wrong (doesn't have to be sin)

Important point, that guilt functions outside of what is prescribed as sin.

If FrGamble is taking care of a friend's goldfish while he is gone for a vacation, he will feel guilty if it dies, even if it is not his fault.

Which proves not only can you feel guilt for something that is not a sin, you can feel guilt for completely wrong reasons.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 15th, 2017 at 7:00:27 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: rxwine
Important point, that guilt functions outside of what is prescribed as sin.

If FrGamble is taking care of a friend's goldfish while he is gone for a vacation, he will feel guilty if it dies, even if it is not his fault.

Which proves not only can you feel guilt for something that is not a sin, you can feel guilt for completely wrong reasons.

This is very true and an important point. There is reasonable guilt that we feel for something we have done wrong, sin. Then there is unreasonable guilt, which might be more related to empathy or sadness, but we experience it as guilt and need to recognize it is unreasonable and deal with it appropriately.
June 15th, 2017 at 9:09:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Guilt is what normally we feel after we sin. It is not a bad thing .

I'm like the dowager countess on Downton
Abby. When asked if she would feel guilty
after acting in a certain manner, she replied
"I am not familiar with that sensation."
June 21st, 2017 at 3:44:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
This is why I should pay closer attention to the late Middle Ages and the Renaissance. I'm on a lecture series precisely on this period (The Renaissance, The Reformation, And The Rise of Nations). When it got to Luther and the Reformation, the lecturer casually explained how indulgences work. The mechanism so surprised me, I thought the lecturer was joking. I had to go online and search "treasury of merit."

This is when I back way, even more, and say "Good luck with all that."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER