Original Sin?

June 26th, 2017 at 3:31:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Bad news for Catholic priests. More news that
research shows regular sex is good for men's
health.

Enjoying Regular Sex Can Help Prevent Heart Disease

"Sex has been linked to the reduction in mens' homocysteine levels, a harmful chemical found in the blood which can trigger life-threatening cardiac problems."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/enjoying-regular-sex-can-help-10689547

Somebody should tell the Catholic god, he's
clueless as usual when it comes to science.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 30th, 2017 at 7:03:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
If the Catholic Church had allowed for divorce, the US would today be the world's largest Catholic country (perhaps).

Same thing if Charles V had not kept Pope Clement VII prisoner (perhaps).

Trivia: Charles V (Carlos V) is a popular line of candy bars in Mexico.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 30th, 2017 at 11:23:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Trivia: Charles V (Carlos V) is a popular line of candy bars in Mexico.

In the USA we don't normally name candy for famous historical figures. A sampling of pre WWII candy names.

1. BABY RUTH
This one’s loaded with peanuts, caramel, and controversy. In 1921, Otto Schnering of Chicago’s Curtiss Candy Company reformulated his signature Kandy Kake bar (he took out pudding, for starters) and renamed it Baby Ruth. This was during the apex of Babe Ruth’s reign as a major league slugger, and many speculated that Schnering had capitalized on Ruth’s name while avoiding royalty payments. In 1926, The Babe himself entered the candy business, and came out with “Ruth’s Home Run Candy.” The Curtiss Company sued, claiming copyright infringement, and noting that Baby Ruth was actually named for President Cleveland’s daughter. This was an odd defense, considering Ruth Cleveland had died of diphtheria in 1904, but the court upheld Curtiss’s claim, ruling in 1931 that the ballplayer had profited off the popularity of a candy bar that, in all likelihood, borrowed from his own nickname.

2. MILK DUDS
In 1926, F. Hoffman & Company of Chicago set out to make perfectly round chocolate-covered caramels. The manufacturing equipment didn’t quite cooperate, however, and what came out were oval-shaped candies. A worker pronounced them “duds,” but everyone agreed they still tasted good, so the company kept producing them under the playful name. Two years later, the Holloway Company bought out Hoffman and brought Milk Duds to the masses.

3. SNICKERS
When Franklin Mars, founder of the Mars candy company, needed a name for the new candy bar that would follow his wildly successful Milky Way bar, he turned to the family stables, of all places. Snickers, named after the family’s prized horse, came out in 1930 and was an immediate hit. According to the company, it’s the best-selling candy bar of all time.

4. JUNIOR MINTS
The name’s not as literal as you might think. James Welch, founder of the James O. Welch Candy Company in Massachusetts, named the chocolate-covered mint creams after his favorite Broadway play, Junior Miss. Based on a series of stories about a meddlesome young girl living in New York, the play ran from 1941 to 1943, and was a household name by the time Junior Mints came out in 1949, with a film and radio version (featuring Shirley Temple) reaching mainstream audiences.

5. TOOTSIE ROLLS
Leo Hirschfield, the inventor of the chewy, chocolatey candy, named them for his 5-year-old daughter, Clara, who he called “Tootsie.” It was a popular nickname at the time, and appealed to penny-toting children who bought up Hirschfield’s individually wrapped treats.

6. 3 MUSKETEERS
You might reason that the inventor was a big Alexandre Dumas fan. And you would be wrong (well, mostly). The name refers to the three different pieces of candy that used to be inside each package: chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. First released in 1932, the company ran into production troubles during World War II, when vanilla and strawberry flavoring were hard to come by. So the Mars Company phased those out in favor of chocolate. Over the past several years, 3 Musketeers has dabbled in flavor extensions, including mint, strawberry and cherry.

7. PEZ
These days it’s a quirky, kid-friendly candy known for a wide variety of dispensers. But in 1927, PEZ was a breath mint for smokers. Invented by Austrian Eduard Haas III, the name refers to “pfefferminz,” which is the German word for peppermint.

8. OH HENRY!
According to Nestle, the name comes from a boy who used to visit George Williamson’s candy shop in early 1900s Chicago. Young Henry stopped by often and became friendly with the ladies who worked in the store, who would frequently send him out on errands. “Oh Henry,” they’d say before sending him off. Williamson took note of the name, and when the time came to name his new chocolate-covered peanut-and-caramel bar, he chose the unique title “Oh Henry!”

9. M&Ms
The two Ms signify the candy’s inventor and his benefactor: Mars and Murrie. Forrest Mars developed M&Ms while in England during the 1930s—supposedly after observing a similar candy carried by Spanish Civil War soldiers. He then went to Bruce Murrie, son of Hershey Company president William Murrie, and gave him a 20 percent stake in return for backing his new candy. Murrie and Mars parted ways in 1949, just a few years after M&Ms first came out, leaving Mars as the sole “M”.
July 1st, 2017 at 1:29:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
I loved Junior Mints in the 50's at the movies.
You got a big box for a nickel that would last
the entire movie if you just sucked on them.
It's frightening to think of the constant
stream of sugar going into my bloodstream,
given what we know now, that sugar is a
deadly poison, responsible for most of
our modern medical problems.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 1st, 2017 at 9:56:52 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Bob, you have tried this argument many times and have always been proven wrong. First of all I have no doubt that sex can be and is a healthy thing for a man and woman who are married. However, you seem to think that this article shows that men who do not have sex will die because of heart issues. I have no idea how a sane person reading that article would think that. I think I will just keep trying to eat healthy, exercise, and not smoke. That would benefit me much more than having sex. God bless you!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 1st, 2017 at 10:50:34 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
However, you seem to think that this article shows that men who do not have sex

"Having sex several times a week can lead to better circulation and healthier blood vessels in men, which researchers say is crucial for preventing a build-up of the chemical homocysteine...Doctors have long suspected that frequent sex can reduce the risks, but the latest findings, published in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, are the first to show it works by driving down homocysteine levels... excess levels, (of homocysteine) which can be caused by poor diet, are thought to damage blood vessels supplying the heart - raising the risk of deadly clots forming."

So you go ahead and reject the science, as
I knew you would, it's what your Church does.
They love love love science, as long as it fits
their ridiculous doctrine. If it doesn't, they
reject it out of hand. Nothing has changed
since the 14th century, why would it. lol

And how is it that your Church is founded
upon Peter, a married man with a daughter,
and priests are not allowed to marry or have
sex of any kind. That flies in the face of
reason. It's OK for the Church founder to
be married, but not priests?

The truth is, priests were married with families
until around the 12th century. Some of them
amassed wealth and property and were leaving
it to their family instead of the Church. The
Vatican, never letting a revenue stream go
untapped, stopped this vulgar practice of
ripping off the Church by forbidding priests
to marry or have sex of any kind. It has nothing
to do with religion and everything to do with
money, as most things in the Church do.
July 1st, 2017 at 8:41:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
First of all the Catholic Church's founder was not married. Secondly, I don't know why you are jumping off the deep end on this one. As you know celibacy is a discipline freely chosen by priests today in the Latin Church. The Eastern Church continues to allow married clergy and when married ministers from other denominations convert and desire priesthood they can remain married of course. I don't know why you seem so incensed about this. You are even twisting the meaning of your own article. I have already said that I imagine there are health benefits (apparently more so for the man) to having sex with your wife. That doesn't seem enough for you. You want in your imagination to think that celibacy is unhealthy and for the article to say that if you don't have sex you will die of a heart attack right away. Leave me alone with your silliness. If I die of a heart attack it will be because I can't take off these darn pounds not because I have not had sex.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 1st, 2017 at 9:34:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
First of all the Catholic Church's founder was not married.

Jesus said: “You are Peter, and on this rock
I will build my church.” He not only establishes
his church but gives primacy to Peter among
all the apostles. Jesus founded the Church on
the rock that is Peter, a married man who had
at least one daughter. If it's soooo wrong for
a priest to be married and have sex, why did
he use a married man to found his church
on, to be the first pope. It makes no sense,
like everything else in this convoluted religion.
Unless you follow the money, like I said in
the previous post.
July 1st, 2017 at 9:59:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Jesus founded the Church...

Nuff said.

Also didn't I say in my last post that there is nothing wrong with a priest being married. As you have said over and over now the first Pope was married. I don't see why you are so upset.
July 2nd, 2017 at 12:47:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Nuff said.

Also didn't I say in my last post that there is nothing wrong with a priest being married. As you have said over and over now the first Pope was married. .

So Jesus was fine with the first pope being
married and having sex and children, but
later the Church over rode him and banned
it in the priesthood? Does that make any
sense whatsoever? Of course not, because
it has nothing whatsoever to do with
the religion. It's all about the greedy
Church not getting what they thought
they deserved and the priests family
getting it instead. That should make
you feel disgusted that you're robbed
of a normal religious life that includes a
loving wife and children, just so you
can serve your selfish greedy masters
in the Vatican.