Original Sin?

September 19th, 2017 at 2:28:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Original Sin is the most obvious of all religious ideas. .

Obvious to who?

In Buddhism there is no concept of sin at all. The Buddha Dharma Education Association also expressly states "The idea of sin or original sin has no place in Buddhism."

Or:

"The concept of original sin is completely foreign to Judaism and Eastern Christianity, having achieved acceptance in only the Western Church. And the concept of original sin simply does not exist in Islam either, and never has."

Need I go on? It's not obvious at all, or true.
It's a sales technique and an insult to the
intelligence.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 19th, 2017 at 7:50:21 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Obvious to who?

In Buddhism there is no concept of sin at all. The Buddha Dharma Education Association also expressly states "The idea of sin or original sin has no place in Buddhism."

Or:

"The concept of original sin is completely foreign to Judaism and Eastern Christianity, having achieved acceptance in only the Western Church. And the concept of original sin simply does not exist in Islam either, and never has."

Need I go on? It's not obvious at all, or true.
It's a sales technique and an insult to the
intelligence.

None of these have sources and the second one I know for a fact to be false concerning Eastern Christianity. Are you trying to say the Buddhism has no laws or rules that can be broken, that there is nothing anyone can do that is wrong? Does not a Buddhist try very hard to eliminate any passion so as not to be suffer? This suffering from our passions or desires could be considered a type of original sin from which we are to be taught by the Buddha how to find enlightenment.

Sin is the most obvious of all things to every human being who has ever lived and to ever religion. What is insulting to our intelligence and makes me question yours is that you would think you or anyone has not sinned or been tempted to do what is wrong or not do what is right. Please just stop it and admit when you are wrong.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 19th, 2017 at 8:58:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
you would think you or anyone has not sinned or been tempted to do what is wrong or not do what is right..

Oh no, what have I done. I let you
drag me back into this endless
discussion about sin. At this point
I always say that sin doesn't exist,
there is no god to sin against.

Then you try and explain that sin
is not about god, and I post 14
dictionary definitions that say
sin is a direct violation of gods
law. Then you try and say that
sin is anytime you feel bad about
something, and I say that's ridiculous,
Jesus didn't die because I pulled
my sisters hair this morning and
now regret it. He died in the myth
because of what Adam and Eve did,
original sin, not because I stole a
parking space at the mall from a
guy who was there first.

Any of this ringing a bell?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 20th, 2017 at 5:34:23 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Hey evenbob. Please move on.
September 21st, 2017 at 11:43:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Wow, haven't heard anything at all about this end of the world stuff. Cra, cra.

I finally found David Meade's website
http://writers-web-services.com/

It turns out that he is not actually predicting the end of the world tomorrow.

What will happen on the twenty-third is a magnificent sign in the skies over Jerusalem, a historical event signaling an upcoming “Tribulation Period” of seven years. I don’t know when the Rapture will happen. I expect nothing to happen in September.

In 1590, Francisco Ribera, a Catholic Jesuit, taught "futurism," the idea that most of Revelation was about the future rather than about the Catholic Church. He also taught that the rapture would happen 45 days before the end of a 3.5-year tribulation. Other than Ribera, the idea of a rapture seems completely alien to the Catholic Church. But the idea is very old in the Protestant church.

Quote: Wikipedia
The concept of the rapture, in connection with premillennialism, was expressed by the 17th-century American Puritans Increase and Cotton Mather. They held to the idea that believers would be caught up in the air, followed by judgments on earth, and then the millennium.

Other 17th-century expressions of the rapture are found in the works of: Robert Maton, Nathaniel Homes, John Browne, Thomas Vincent, Henry Danvers, and William Sherwin. The term rapture was used by Philip Doddridge and John Gill in their New Testament commentaries, with the idea that believers would be caught up prior to judgment on earth and Jesus' second coming.

John Nelson Darby first proposed and popularized the pre-tribulation rapture in 1827. This view was accepted among many other Plymouth Brethren movements in England. Darby and other prominent Brethren were part of the Brethren movement which impacted American Christianity, especially with movements and teachings associated with Christian eschatology and fundamentalism, primarily through their writings.

Influences included the Bible Conference Movement, starting in 1878 with the Niagara Bible Conference. These conferences, which were initially inclusive of historicist and futurist premillennialism, led to an increasing acceptance of futurist premillennial views and the pre-tribulation rapture especially among Presbyterian, Baptist, and Congregational members. Popular books also contributed to acceptance of the pre-tribulation rapture, including William E. Blackstone's book Jesus is Coming, published in 1878, which sold more than 1.3 million copies, and the Scofield Reference Bible, published in 1909 and 1919 and revised in 1967.
September 22nd, 2017 at 10:46:02 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Pacomartin
I finally found David Meade's website
http://writers-web-services.com/

It turns out that he is not actually predicting the end of the world tomorrow.
Isn't it supposed to be a sign of the end times beginning?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 22nd, 2017 at 10:51:28 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph
Isn't it supposed to be a sign of the end times beginning?

Or the beginning times ending? It's so
hard to keep up with religious crackpots,
which is anybody who thinks the supernatural
is a real place.
September 22nd, 2017 at 11:00:38 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Evenbob, in your version of reincarnation where do these disembodied memories and thoughts go after a person dies and before they enter into a child?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
September 22nd, 2017 at 11:34:45 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Evenbob, in your version of reincarnation where do these disembodied memories and thoughts go after a person dies and before they enter into a child?

The cloud :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 22nd, 2017 at 11:43:58 AM permalink
Evenbob

Just another part of reality, nothing 'super'
about it. No god involved, just reality that's
been here forever in one form or another.

" ..there are good reasons to think that consciousness can be considered a separate entity from physical reality. And in fact, some leading scientists in the past, like Max Planck, who's the father of quantum theory, said that he viewed consciousness as fundamental and that matter was derived from it. So in that case, it would mean that consciousness would not necessarily be dependent on a physical brain in order to survive, and could continue after the physical brain and after the body dies. In these cases, it seems - at least, on the face of it - that a consciousness has then become attached to a new brain, and has shown up as past life memories."

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/05/259886077/searching-for-science-behind-reincarnation