Original Sin?

February 5th, 2018 at 9:06:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Oops, it was my response that wasn't very intelligent. It is your black and white view that is ridiculous.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 5th, 2018 at 9:26:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Oops, it was my response that wasn't very intelligent. It is your black and white view that is ridiculous.

It's not B/W, I have a nebulous view of religion.

neb·u·lous
indistinct, unclear, vague, hazy, cloudy, fuzzy, misty, blurred, blurry, foggy, unclear, vague, or ill-defined.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 5th, 2018 at 9:53:25 PM permalink
FrGamble
If you are so nebulous about religion why do you pontificate as if you know anything?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 5th, 2018 at 10:32:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
If you are so nebulous about religion why do you pontificate as if you know anything?

I know enough to pontificate, it doesn't take
much. All Xtion churches are based on the
same core myth, the details of each church
are only important if you totally buy that the
myth isn't a myth. If you do try and make the
myth a reality, you get what you have in the
Xtion church. 2500+ branches of the same
religion because nobody can agree on the
fine points. Are there 2500 opposing reasons
as to haw a plane can fly? No, there's only one.
But because the core story of your religion
is a myth, anything you make up can be
pronounced as the truth, who can argue it's
not true.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 5th, 2018 at 11:21:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
You really are nebulous about religion, I would go so far as to say ignorant. Not to mention hopelessly prejudiced. You might to look at Christianity's history and discover for how many hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years there was one Church.
February 6th, 2018 at 12:10:37 AM permalink
Evenbob
Y You might to look at Christianity's history

As usual, you miss the point. Who cares about the
history or if there was one and now there are
2500. It's all the same theme to an outsider. The
central myth is the same, the minutia you invent
to surround the myth is irrelevant. If there was
a god, what a petty and ego centric god he would
be if he cared about all your silly invented customs
that you religious people think are so important.
February 6th, 2018 at 5:47:45 AM permalink
FrGamble
Here we go again, your back to your black and white view of religion where nuances, details, and the truth don't matter to you. You just keep going around in circles. You falsely critize religion and when called out you say your understanding about religion is hazy (that is being very generous). Then you go back to making false claims. We are right back where we started. Its emblematic of our discussion in general.

What would you call someone who cared about the silly customs of his children? Would you call that person ego centric?
February 7th, 2018 at 6:43:56 PM permalink
FrGamble
Dalex - as you can see Evenbob has bowed out of the conversation. This might allow us to continue our conversation if you would like. I hope we can. I think it is a tendency in all of us that when challenged in our views or forced to think a different way we just clam up, give up, or stop the conversation - but it doesn't and shouldn't be that way. I'm under no illusion that conversions are coming from this forum, but I do hope that we can all learn, think more clearly, and even change some of our thoughts in regards to people who might have different viewpoints. Anyway, here's hoping!

I included our last posts so we don't have to go back through the latest digression.

Remember I have been debating mostly with Evenbob. I have been incredulous that a rational logical person won't at least acknowledge evidence and a logical argument. Whether or not we come to the same conclusions I am overjoyed that a rational logical person at least acknowledges the argument. I know how awful and filled with despair our lives are without God, but I also know that there are a million different things we can find in this world that keep us from feeling that awfulness and despair. Many people who do not acknowledge or think often of God live very happy and fulfilled lives.

Is there really no way to validate any set of beliefs against any other? I feel like we can make distinctions and determine certain conceptions about God or religious teachings are wrong.

Thank you. I do feel that something like Christianity and its history does point to something divine happening. I feel it and know there is something much greater than just myself or the community at work, but I acknowledge that I can't really prove that to you.

I think you might be correct if the argument was that the benefit for society proves God is real. Instead it is yet another piece of evidence that we can examine and wonder about. Why are these teachings so meaningful to us, why do they continue to guide us, why do we get in so much trouble when they are broken or ignored? This points to a divine inspiration but does not prove it.
February 11th, 2018 at 4:05:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Are dead sea scrolls fake? https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/17/us/bible-museum-fakes/index.html
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 11th, 2018 at 5:00:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph

This is questioning the pieces this museum
has, not the originals. That's how it reads to
me.