Original Sin?

February 21st, 2018 at 1:35:48 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I'm an evidence demander as well, card carrying member. I'm talking about the club you belong to the evidence denier and my own personal truth club.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 21st, 2018 at 2:56:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I'm an evidence demander as well, card carrying member

You must be very frustrated, you belong
to a cult that has zero evidence for anything
it believes. Even your so called savior had
no idea he was that guy, it was all invented
after he was long gone.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 21st, 2018 at 3:18:16 PM permalink
FrGamble
Bob, lets try this a different way.

If you and I are both demanding that what we believe to be true is supported by evidence then why don't you start by listing the evidence that supports the "truth" that there is no God. I will list five pieces of evidence for what I believe for every one piece of evidence you provide.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 21st, 2018 at 5:17:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Bob, lets try this a different way.

How is this 'different'. You proposed
the exact same thing over 2 years
ago. I cannot prove aliens, astrology,
ghosts, karma, fate, unicorns, god, and
a myriad of other things don't exist,
and I don't have to. It's on the believers
to do that, and so far they have nothing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 21st, 2018 at 8:23:39 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
How is this 'different'. You proposed
the exact same thing over 2 years
ago. I cannot prove aliens, astrology,
ghosts, karma, fate, unicorns, god, and
a myriad of other things don't exist,
and I don't have to. It's on the believers
to do that, and so far they have nothing.

Surely you can at least give evidence that it is likely impossible for unicorns to exist? Remember you are not saying that you don't think God exists, oh no. You say that it is true that there is no God. To make such a truth claim you should I think have some evidence that leads you to such a radical and crazy idea. I've promised you five to one for any evidence you can provide to the absolute truth claim you hold (and seem to think is universal by the way, good for you) that there is no God.
February 21st, 2018 at 9:50:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Surely you can at least give evidence

I have the best evidence of all for there
being no god. Here it is: Prove me wrong.

You cannot and will never be able to do so.
So I will stand by my claim until proveable
evidence is presented. And like all atheists,
I have utmost confidence in my convictions.
February 21st, 2018 at 10:10:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
I have the best evidence of all for there
being no god. Here it is: Prove me wrong.

Ha, I've really gotten you haven't I? What if I would have said the above? What would you have said? "Prove me wrong", come on brother, that is what you base your belief system on?

Quote:
You cannot and will never be able to do so.

Only for two reasons.

1) You keep resorting to proof language. To know something you don't need proof, in fact outside of the realm of math and science you won't find "proof" for anything you believe. You know someone loves you because of a culmination of evidence that leads to a likely and reasonable conclusion. To have faith you need a preponderance of evidence that leads towards such a decision. For God here again is just a few: modern cosmology pointing to the beginning of the universe, the fact that there is something rather than nothing, motion in the universe that requires a first mover, unexplained miracles, personal testimony, historical facts of Jesus and the spread of Christianity, witness of the saints, the impossibility of an actual infinite regress, etc., etc. Any one of these things alone can be questioned - which I wish you would do! You just ignore them all but you can't do that and be considered a reasonable person. Look at them together and they point to a conclusion I can make with much more confidence than you could ever hope to do.

2) You don't want to believe. That is all there is to it. I don't know why, but you won't provide any evidence for what you believe and you won't accept any for what I believe. You live on in ignorance without seeming to care. Maybe there is a part of me that is jealous that you can do this, I can't. I want to know the truth and will not accept just my wishful thinking or personal truths as universal truths.
February 21st, 2018 at 11:38:18 PM permalink
Evenbob

2) You don't want to believe.

I don't believe, but 'want' has nothing to do with
it. God people are sooooo insecure, they're
so unsure their god exists, that they have
to try and convince everybody so they
themselves can finally be sure.

I have no idea what it's like to believe
in something that doesn't exist, it must
be a real burden to be constantly
haunted by that uncertainty. It must really
suck.
February 22nd, 2018 at 8:05:21 AM permalink
FrGamble
You do know what it is like to believe in something that is false. I wouldn't know but I reckon that it is similar to what it's like to believe in something that doesn't exist.
February 22nd, 2018 at 12:27:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
I reckon that it is similar to what it's like to believe in something that doesn't exist.

No. When you believe in something
like god that doesn't exist, it takes
up so much of your time because you
have to make up that reality as you
go along. It's energy draining, it's
exhausting. If you deal with Xtions
on regular basis, they'll drive you
nuts with it. "What is god thinking,
what does god want me to do. What
would Jesus do. Please, somebody
tell me what to do".

Atheists have none of that, we never
give it a second thought, or even a
first thought. It just doesn't come up,
we aren't in bondage to a concept that
makes no sense, like god people are.