Original Sin?

October 2nd, 2018 at 2:17:59 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I think you can see that the Catholic Church is a very different thing than a list of emperors, or a generic term for a religion. I'm talking about an institution with a structure, specific rituals, laws, and hierarchy.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 2nd, 2018 at 2:28:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I think you can see that the Catholic Church is a very different thing than a list of emperors, or a generic term for a religion. I'm talking about an institution with a structure, specific rituals, laws, and hierarchy.

You can see the Ford truck I'm selling
for my dealership is far superior to
any other truck on the road. No, it's
really true, Ford told me.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 2nd, 2018 at 2:53:28 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3

No, it isn't so different, nor are any of those religions a "generic term" for something else, nor is a list of japanese emporers anything less than a continuation of a form of government.

But if you move the goalposts a little more, I am confident that you can get the Catholic church into a class of it's own.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 2nd, 2018 at 3:04:29 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The irony; https://www.npr.org/2018/10/02/653560525/dean-at-catholic-university-suspended-for-tweet-about-kavanaugh-accuser
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 3rd, 2018 at 8:51:45 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
No, it isn't so different, nor are any of those religions a "generic term" for something else, nor is a list of japanese emporers anything less than a continuation of a form of government.

But if you move the goalposts a little more, I am confident that you can get the Catholic church into a class of it's own.

Well we can at least get it into a very small class of it's own.

Put seriously you don't see the difference between terms like "the Catholic Church" and "Judaism"? One could ask what type of Judaism? What synagogue? How long has that congregation been around? etc, etc... You could ask similar questions about Buddhism. I'm not so sure about the history of Japan but do you really want to say a list of emperors means that there has been a continuous and unbroken form of government that has not changed substantially for all those years?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 24th, 2018 at 9:51:50 AM permalink
Evenbob
THE US WITCH POPULATION HAS SEEN AN ASTRONOMICAL RISE https://qz.com/quartzy/1411909/the-explosive-growth-of-witches-wiccans-and-pagans-in-the-us/

I call this 'Xtion Fail'. People are rejecting
the silliness of Xtionity by the millions.
They totally 'get' witchcraft, and dismiss
Xtionity as convoluted nonsense.

Wicca is all about nature and connecting
with your inner self. Xtionity is all about
passing the plate and keeping the bloated
institutions in business. Many Millennials,
not having the lies of Xtionity drilled into
their heads as kids, are able to see the
religion for what it is. A fraud.

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/2018/11/23/media-witches-outnumber-presbyterians-in-the-united-states/
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 24th, 2018 at 11:57:35 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
FrG has asked me about regrets in
relation to sin. I always say I
do not really have any regrets.
I ran across this somewhere and
cannot say any of them apply
to me. Not one. I always do
what I want to do, and that leads to
few regrets.

https://bestlifeonline.com/most-common-regrets/

WOW at least half of that list applies to me
November 24th, 2018 at 12:04:11 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
If you can show me one instance where the Church's official stance was forced conversion I'll leave you alone for good.

I'm glad you like the evidence of personal testimony when it benefits you. However, with Mother Teresa you are always going to lose the eyewitness argument unless you could get those she was actually ministering to to say something bad, and that has not or will not happen.

Yet you believe eyewitness testimony reported years and years after Jesus's magic tricks happened without being able to elicit testimony from them as well - right?
November 24th, 2018 at 2:40:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: aceofspades
WOW at least half of that list applies to me

https://bestlifeonline.com/most-common-regrets/

I read the list again and can honestly
say none of that applies to me. Like
'regret holding onto grudges'. Of
course I hang on, what's the point
otherwise. I rarely forgive anyone
who wronged me, I just don't deal
with them anymore. Real forgiveness
isn't possible, so why bother at all.

'Not Apologizing More'. Say what?
I'm rarely sorry, what's to apologize
for. 'Prioritizing Practicality Over Fun',
I do what want most of the time, I
don't even know what that means.

Worrying About Other People’s Opinions
Yeah, no, that's never been a problem.
They should worry about mine, though,
that's the one that counts.

Taking Life Too Seriously
I don't know how to do that, so why would
I bother. Life is way too short to take
all that seriously. I guess I regret not
saving more money, but if I had saved
more, I'm sure I'd think it wasn't enough.
November 25th, 2018 at 6:18:13 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: aceofspades
Yet you believe eyewitness testimony reported years and years after Jesus's magic tricks happened without being able to elicit testimony from them as well - right?

I believe such eye witness testimony because the same testimony is given today by billions of people in regards to the difference Christ has made in their lives. He is still preforming miracles all the time, He has in my life for sure.