Original Sin?

January 9th, 2019 at 3:24:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Oh got ya, I think when most people think of MASH they think first of the TV show.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 10th, 2019 at 10:12:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
This is so cool because it mocks Jesus
and the people who have been praying
to nobody for 2000 years. Every little
thing like this is just another nail in
the coffin of failed Xtionity.. Jesus
as a 'failed savior' in a new DC comic.
And not a damn thing the Catholic
Church can do to stop it.

In the new comic, written by Mark Russell, Jesus Christ will be portrayed as an out-of-touch former savior who is cast out of his prison in heaven and back down to earth because God the Father felt that Christ messed up his first visit with mankind. “The conceit is that God was so upset with Jesus’s performance the first time he came to Earth since he was arrested so soon and crucified shortly after, that he has kept him locked-up since then.”

Russell also says that his Jesus will have been kept in a heavenly prison since his crucifixion because God is mad at him: “God was so upset with the fact that he got crucified the last time that he wouldn’t even let him look through the celestial keyhole at Earth to keep up.” Apparently, Russell’s Jesus will have been totally unable to see what has been happening on earth in the interim and is shocked when he returns to earth and “he sees has been done in his name by Christianity in the last two thousand years.”

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/matt-philbin/2019/01/09/splat-dc-debut-bumbling-jesus-superhero-comic
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2019 at 1:04:47 PM permalink
FrGamble
I just wanted to say that I never feel more like Christ than in the confessional. Those annoymous moments where no one is seen but the heartfelt desire to change lives and to be the kind and loving person God created them to be - it is achingly beautiful. I thank God that I have a small meager role to play in allowing people to experience the unconditional love of God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 12th, 2019 at 1:23:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: FrGamble
I just wanted to say that I never feel more like Christ than in the confessional. Those annoymous moments where no one is seen but the heartfelt desire to change lives and to be the kind and loving person God created them to be - it is achingly beautiful. I thank God that I have a small meager role to play in allowing people to experience the unconditional love of God.

Hypothetically, God already knows IIANM? What's the point in explaining your actions to a priest?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 12th, 2019 at 1:35:50 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: petroglyph
Hypothetically, God already knows IIANM? What's the point in explaining your actions to a priest?

Yeah doesn't "God" already know everything that is going to happen in the universe with every person that was, is and will be? Maybe "God" just likes hearing people admit it? Or, perhaps, and I'm just spitballing here, confession gets more asses in the seats and hence, more money into the church coffers?
January 12th, 2019 at 3:15:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: aceofspades
I'm just spitballing here, confession gets more asses in the seats and hence, more money into the church coffers?

It's all about control, the Church having
control over it flock. What better way
than to have them confess their secrets
as a way to control them. If you examine
the Church's motives, it always comes
down to control and money.

My ex priest friend learned to hate confession.
He says it was mostly those evil sex thoughts
people confessed, he hated it. He found the
whole process creepy. It is creepy, those
who think it's not have been brain washed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2019 at 3:50:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
Yeah doesn't "God" already know everything that is going to happen in the universe with every person that was, is and will be? Maybe "God" just likes hearing people admit it? Or, perhaps, and I'm just spitballing here, confession gets more asses in the seats and hence, more money into the church coffers?

As everyone knows confession is good for the soul. Admitting your problem, owning up to it, and being forgiven is freeing. You don't have to hide away your sins and struggles in the dark recesses of your life where it causes fear and shame. Shine the light of Christ on your sins and realize you are still loved and are good. You reject your faults and they no longer define you. Admitting you're a loved sinner is the beginning to real healing.

Nobody has ever explained to me how confession is related to money or power. There is no fee and it is completely anonymous. It doesn't make any sense to me. Bob of course has never responded to why he thinks confession is about money or power. Can anyone try to explain this to me. Also can anyone who has been to confession help to clarify Bob's awful misconception and to share yourexperience.
January 12th, 2019 at 3:51:51 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble

As everyone knows confession is good for the soul. Admitting your problem, owning up to it, and being forgiven is freeing. You don't have to hide away your sins and struggles in the dark recesses of your life where it causes fear and shame. Shine the light of Christ on your sins and realize you are still loved and are good. You reject your faults and they no longer define you. Admitting your a loved sinner is the beginning to real healing.

Nobody has ever explained to me how confession is related to money or power. There is no fee and it is completely anonymous. It doesn't make any sense to me. Bob of course has never responded to why he thinks confession is about money or power. Can anyone try to explain this to me. Also can anyone who has been to confession help to clarify Bob's awful misconception and to share your experience.

Padre, if I was a 'believer', why do I need a middleman such as yourself? Does "God" only hear confessions through priests? Could I not confess directly to "God" without using a subcontractor?
January 12th, 2019 at 4:49:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Could I not confess directly to "God" without using a subcontractor?

Of course you could. If confession is
sooo damned important, why don't
Protestants do it. Take Baptist's for
instance:

Baptists do not believe that God condemns anyone for a sin they did not commit.

They don't believe you're going to
hell for a thought you had. Catholics
do. That's why all the thought crime
confessions.

This is where the power of the priest
comes in. You have to make yourself
vulnerable when you confess, the
Church knows this. So it made every
little thought you had about the
woman next door something you had
to confess. So you go into the
confessional, spill your guts to somebody
you call 'father' (so it's a double whammy)
and now the Church has you by the
throat even tighter. You just told intimate
secrets to a daddy figure, the Church is
10 feet tall in your mind, and you're a little
sad pipsqueak 2" tall, saying your hail Mary's.

It's insidious, it's manipulation of the sickest
kind. My ex priest friend saw that and it
was one of the reasons he ran away from the
priesthood as fast as he could.
January 12th, 2019 at 5:28:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
Sure you can and should confess your sins directly to God! Confession is a sacramental gift that helps us to know we are forgiven. The Lord knows that we need tangible expressions of His love that we can touch, feel, and hear. The Sacraments are tangible expressions of God's love for us.