Original Sin?

January 20th, 2019 at 2:18:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Tomorrow I begin a 90 day ascetical challenge that will among other things ask me to give up the use the internet for anything besides e-mail and work required activities. Therefore I will have to say goodbye to everyone till Easter. My only fear is the bigotry of Evenbob might now go unchallenged for a bit. My only advice is to keep asking him where he gets his information and to ask if he has looked at other sites or sources of information that might say something different. It won't change his mind, but maybe coming from someone else it might put a crack in his hard and stubborn shell. God Bless you all and I hope to catch up and engage again after Easter. Peace and all good!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 20th, 2019 at 2:46:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: FrGamble
Tomorrow I begin a 90 day ascetical challenge that will among other things ask me to give up the use the internet for anything besides e-mail and work required activities.
It seems so strange to me, all the denial that your religion invents ? Everything is about punishment.

It looks like how your religion feels about sex, it's ok as long as it benefits the church, as long as you don't enjoy it. Sex is ok as long as it hurts.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 20th, 2019 at 2:57:20 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: petroglyph
It seems so strange to me, all the denial that your religion invents ? Everything is about punishment.

It looks like how your religion feels about sex, it's ok as long as it benefits the church, as long as you don't enjoy it. Sex is ok as long as it hurts.

oh if only you knew, it has nothing to do with punishment or hurt. The greatest joys come from sacrifice and discipline. Give it a try. Think of something you want to do or want to stop doing and really dedicate yourself to it by sacrificing the non essential things in your life. Check back with me in a few months to see how much more joy and fulfilment you have.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 20th, 2019 at 3:04:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It seems so strange to me, all the denial that your religion invents ? .

He's leaving for 90 days, the Church is
telling him to shut up for 3 months?
Happy days, I can post and there will
be no posts to ignore telling me how
wrong I am about everything. What's
punishment for him is a boon to me.
I wish there was a god so I could thank
him.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 20th, 2019 at 3:09:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
oh if only you knew, it has nothing to do with punishment or hurt. The greatest joys come from sacrifice and discipline. Give it a try. Think of something you want to do or want to stop doing and really dedicate yourself to it by sacrificing the non essential things in your life. Check back with me in a few months to see how much more joy and fulfilment you have.
I sacrificed years of my life, that didn't make anything better, for me at least.

And that will be quite enough.

I suppose you have to keep telling yourself that, about the denial that is. I kind of hope that works out for you. But I will tell you, that you are also setting yourself up for some unbelievable grief as well. I think a lot of people sacrifice their lives, because of some superstition that the church has spread upon society.

Sacrificing your entire life seems like a ridiculous thing for your god to want, or for the church to demand of it's soldiers. Cray cray, in fact. Do you ever think when no one is watching that your superiors are taking advantage of your sacrifice, while they are living much higher on the ladder? No harm in at least considering it, is there?
January 20th, 2019 at 3:13:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
He's leaving for 90 days, the Church is
telling him to shut up for 3 months?
He said it was a challenge? I don't know who's challenging him, or it is something he came up with? He is "allowed" to do business by www it seems, just as long as he doesn't enjoy it.

Quote:
I wish there was a god so I could thank
him.
I've considered that same thing, about how much easier it would be if there were a supernatural being to reward me for my good behavior.
January 20th, 2019 at 3:35:03 PM permalink
FrGamble
Ha, I still have a few hours left to respond. Thanks for your concern petro, I sense real compassion there. The truth is no one is asking me to do this or forcing me to. A small group of young adults and I are challenging ourselves to be the men God has called us to be. That means less time with worldly distraction and more time with wives, children, prayers, school work, jobs, healthy projects, friendships, and excercise. What you see as crazy I see as a blessing. I'll let you know when its over but please try to keep Bob in check and from going over the deep end. Peace!
January 20th, 2019 at 3:52:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I've considered that same thing, about how much easier it would be if there were a supernatural being to reward me for my good behavior.

Just invent one, people do it every
day when they pray..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 20th, 2019 at 3:57:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
... That means less time with worldly distraction and more time with wives, children, prayers, school work, jobs, healthy projects, friendships, and excercise.
Wives, children, prayers, school work, jobs, friendships,....that's what worldly distraction is. If you seek peace, try going without all that distraction. Do the 40 day walk in the desert bare foot.
January 20th, 2019 at 3:59:27 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Evenbob
Just invent one, people do it every
day when they pray..
Even if I pretend my god had super powers to fulfill my desire, I get left empty handed.