Original Sin?

July 30th, 2019 at 8:25:50 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
It seems like George Carlin's as well as many people's biggest beef with God is that there is such a place as hell and that their actions have serious consequences. They can't square that with a loving God. I get it. We want to do whatever we want and want desperately to think the things that we do that harms ourselves and others don't in the long run really matter. We want to be our own god and pretend that we can do whatever we want and no body can make the rules for us or tell us what to do. That resonates with me too and I imagine with all of us.

When I realized deeply that the commandments of God were meant to be a blessing to us and to help us to live good lives for our betterment and for others I started to trust in God. Then I began more and more to know of God's intimate love for me, God unconditional forgiveness, and that in following God's way I was more fulfilled and at peace. It was harder to live according to the law of God and it meant that I can't just do whatever I want, but that is ultimately the greatest freedom. I then came to see that hell is never a place made for us, God will and does do everything to keep us from going there. Everything that is except for taking away our free will to chose to either love God and others or to hate God and others.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 30th, 2019 at 10:21:07 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
GC should be required viewing for grades 7-12

I agree. Anything to wise them up about
the deceit and corruption of organized
religion. Like Carlin says, in the BS dept,
a businessman can't hold a candle to
clergyman for unrepentant BS. Amen
to that, brother.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 30th, 2019 at 11:31:46 AM permalink
FrGamble
Carlin seems to have some pretty basic misunderstanding about religion and maybe some personal experiences that have caused him to very much dislike religion (sound like someone we know?). Anyway wouldn't BS be called on someone who claims to speak authoritatively about someone when he clearly doesn't understand basic principles or ideas. He also claims there is no God, you can't get more BS and made up than that!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 30th, 2019 at 1:13:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: pew
Where is Carlin now.

Pushing up daisies. This is another
Carlin classic on what BS religion
is. His Catholic upbringing went
sour, as it does with anybody who
really examines it.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 30th, 2019 at 2:11:27 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
"Pushing up daisies." I rest my case.
July 30th, 2019 at 2:11:27 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Pushing up daisies.
July 31st, 2019 at 7:41:51 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
Carlin seems to have some pretty basic misunderstanding about religion and maybe some personal experiences that have caused him to very much dislike religion (sound like someone we know?). Anyway wouldn't BS be called on someone who claims to speak authoritatively about someone when he clearly doesn't understand basic principles or ideas. He also claims there is no God, you can't get more BS and made up than that!

Nothing is "understandable" about religion because the texts it is based upon contradict themselves
July 31st, 2019 at 8:30:57 AM permalink
FrGamble
How so?
July 31st, 2019 at 8:46:37 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
How so?

Padre - do I really have to point them out to you? Here is a website that cross-references all the contradictions in the Bible - have fun

http://bibviz.com
July 31st, 2019 at 10:10:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: aceofspades
Padre - do I really have to point them out to you? Here is a website that cross-references all the contradictions in the Bible - have fun

http://bibviz.com

Holy cow, somebody put a lot of
work into that site. The big question
is always, how did they get a religion
out of this horrific mess. By picking
and choosing, and ignoring the rest.
Some of us have higher standards
than that. Like Carlin says, the sun
has given us more than the Bible
ever did. Worship it if you need
something to worship.