Original Sin?

July 31st, 2019 at 12:09:27 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: aceofspades
Padre - do I really have to point them out to you? Here is a website that cross-references all the contradictions in the Bible - have fun

http://bibviz.com
Calling themselves skeptics is absurd and laughable.
July 31st, 2019 at 2:40:22 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Padre - do I really have to point them out to you? Here is a website that cross-references all the contradictions in the Bible - have fun

http://bibviz.com

Thanks for that link and you are right it would take a while to go through them all, but so far they have been kind of fun. I think it is so interesting that people think Scriptural study and religion are simple and easy things to understand. They like things to be black and white and so simple which makes it easy to disprove. Reading that site I feel like a doctor whose patient is saying things like, "Well I eat an apple every day so I can never be sick" or "I read somewhere I should take this medicine to completely cure me." It is so simplistic and misses the understanding of the complexities and difficulties of truly understanding Scripture, Inspiration, and theology. These guys are armchair quaterbacks who spent way too much time analyzing what they saw on tv. The coaches in the locker room and the players are just laughing at them. If only they knew what was really going on.

Now I don't want to make it like understanding Christianity is a hard thing to do. Everyone can understand it and it is simple in its core. It is this simple message that folks who don't make it their life to study the Bible and religion would be better off analyzing and trying to hate. Where are the contradictions in the central message of Jesus Christ and His answers to the fundamental questions of humanity and why we are here? That is what these novices with too much time on their hands would be better off exploring. They would probably benefit a lot from it.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
July 31st, 2019 at 4:52:19 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Now go to the bottom of the page and read what a high percentage of Americans believe in these simplistic interpretations, and base their morality and personal interactions on them, and on many carefully cherry-picked verses that support whatever their church is telling them.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 1st, 2019 at 5:16:05 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
Now go to the bottom of the page and read what a high percentage of Americans believe in these simplistic interpretations, and base their morality and personal interactions on them, and on many carefully cherry-picked verses that support whatever their church is telling them.

Dalex my point is that a high percentage of people believe in simple message of Christianity because it speaks so directly to us and helps us to understand ourselves, our purpose, and the world around us. We should base our morality and personal interactions on the teachings of Christ.

It is the atheists who cherry pick verses and don't have any sense of simple truths that are the foundations of faith. They often try to go into the small details and compare these various verses from different areas, genres, time periods, meanings, etc and have some kind of gotcha moment. They are always disappointed when they are either shown to be wrong, that what they think they discovered has been talked about and prayed over by centuries of Church Fathers and theologians, or that what they discovered is actually not that big of a deal for someone who understands the Bible and inspiration. Another analogy for that website is it is kind of like someone pointing out that there are some brushstrokes that could have been done better by Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel. I really think the authors of these atheistic stuff believe that if they could prove just one contradiction in the Bible everyone would leave the faith. First of all they could have saved some time by reading the works of many of our greatest Scripture Scholars going all the way back to St. Augustine. There is nothing that they point out that hasn't been prayed over and discussed. It is kind of weird that they think just by analyzing the Bible they would discover problems that those who have loved the Bible and read it every day for thousands of years would not have seen.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
August 11th, 2019 at 4:19:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Reading a book called 'The Seminary' written
in 1983. The author is well known now, and
this was written 17 years after he graduated
from seminary. He became a priest and quit
after one month.
Very interesting story, I knew the religion
was a cult but had no idea how deep it went.
Some of the stuff they did is just plain whacky.
Like praying and chanting different things
every day to erase years from the time you
will spend in purgatory. Such as every time you
said 'Bless the virgin Mary' out loud, that
was 2 years erased. Just superstitious nonsense.

I've only read a couple chapters, looking forward
to the rest.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 11th, 2019 at 5:59:51 PM permalink
FrGamble
Oh boy, sounds awful. What an exageration and misunderstanding. You have to find some more balanced views in your life. Remember your brainwashing is not all your fault but your continuing perseverance in it by willfully reinforcing it is something you should worry about.
August 12th, 2019 at 7:11:31 AM permalink
FrGamble
It's interesting that I can't find this book, "The Seminary" anywhere. Is it some obscure violently anti-Catholic so called book? You really need to broaden your horizons.
August 12th, 2019 at 9:02:28 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
My christian friend attempted this argument

He is a devout christian and sent me this meme:

I responded by asking if, that if the universe cannot come into existence from "nothing" then, how did "God" come into existence - he quoted Revelations to me about "God" was, is and always will be

He failed to see the irony of his argument but I did not persist
August 12th, 2019 at 10:04:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
My christian friend attempted this argument

He is a devout christian and sent me this meme:

The fatal flaw is always they think
they see a 'creation', so they make
the second mistake and go searching
for a creator. Not finding one, they
make one up. The universe, (not
the galaxies, but where the galaxies
exist) has been here forever. We
can't grasp this because we're part
of it.

The god religions are just a primitive
attempt to make sense of something
they have no chance of understanding.
Gods and superstitions and virgins
giving birth, it all belongs in the age
of ignorance it came from.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 12th, 2019 at 10:14:40 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
The fatal flaw is always they think
they see a 'creation', so they make
the second mistake and go searching
for a creator. Not finding one, they
make one up. The universe, (not
the galaxies, but where the galaxies
exist) has been here forever. We
can't grasp this because we're part