Original Sin?

November 29th, 2019 at 8:18:09 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I thought Bob would appreciate this story.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/atheist-gratitude-giving-thanks_n_5dd8094ae4b0913e6f6b9278

One quote from this woman from Grand Rapids:
"Since I’ve cut God out of my life, I have so much more room for everyone else."

Lots of other stuff in there. Her guilt. Her Catholic parents belief that as an atheist she won't go to heaven.

I think she still isn't completely comfortable with being an atheist, but that makes sense as she was taught what to believe from a young age.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 29th, 2019 at 8:19:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I reckon your sister in law also thanks God for the challenges and struggles in life. !

Of course, she gives god the
credit for everything. It's
quite maddening to be
around her. My wife does
it quietly, at least. They
were trained to do this
as kids, like Pavlov's dogs.

They've mistaken the reality
they create daily, with what's
actually going on. Thanking
a god for everything doesn't
make him pop magically
into existence,

The Romans and Greeks
worshiped their cartoon
gods for centuries and
centuries. They were very
serious about it, they really
believed there lives were
run by thse beings they
created.

Where are they today. Gone
into history, a footnote. To
be replaced by a streamlined
god, a one size fits all god,
who is every bit as real as
Appolo and Athena and
Herclules were. That's to
say, not real at all.

Quote:
God is working harder and better than I ever could to reach your mind

Naw. The truth is, there's no supernatural
entity that gives a rats behind about us.
Why would there or should there be.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2019 at 9:30:49 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob

Naw. The truth is, there's no supernatural
entity that gives a rats behind about us.
Why would there or should there be.

I guess that is the reality you have made for yourself. It is sad and not the real reality, but I wish you well and am praying for you.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2019 at 11:08:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
I guess that is the reality you have made for yourself.

With a total lack of proof or evidence,
there's no other choice. If we were
fathers in Africa and you were a devout
Xtion and me an atheist, and our 3
years old sons got malaria, there is
is exactly as much chance for my son
to survive as yours. Your 'god' is
worthless when it comes to anything
practical. His 'love' is an empty
promise.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 25th, 2020 at 5:52:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Something I don't remember FRG ever discussing in all the years w have been talking is, the so-called miracles/magic tricks of Jesus. There have been many NT scholars that have said they wish these events we're not included. They are very hard to explain and very hard to defend.

FRG is not alone in not discussing them. Most Christians I've known never mention them, they're embarrassing. It makes no sense that if Jesus was a real person, a god / man, did he would roam the countryside performing magic tricks. It's cheap, it's nonsensical, it's vaudeville.

A really Divine person would never do that. He would never walk on water, or wave his hand and stop a storm. Or change water into wine. But he would do that in a myth. In a myth he would do lots of miracles and magic tricks. Just like what happened in the myth of Jesus.
April 25th, 2020 at 6:18:17 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Something I don't remember FRG ever discussing in all the years w have been talking is, the so-called miracles/magic tricks of Jesus. There have been many NT scholars that have said they wish these events we're not included. They are very hard to explain and very hard to defend.

FRG is not alone in not discussing them. Most Christians I've known never mention them, they're embarrassing. It makes no sense that if Jesus was a real person, a god / man, did he would roam the countryside performing magic tricks. It's cheap, it's nonsensical, it's vaudeville.

A really Divine person would never do that. He would never walk on water, or wave his hand and stop a storm. Or change water into wine. But he would do that in a myth. In a myth he would do lots of miracles and magic tricks. Just like what happened in the myth of Jesus.

I was raised Roman Catholic and recall priests and Sunday school teachers discussing Jesus walking on water; turning water into wine; the 5 loaves and 2 fishes; and, oh yeah, Jesus rising from the dead.

Maybe they stopped teaching these or discussing them...who knows?
April 25th, 2020 at 7:02:33 PM permalink
FrGamble
That you think the miracles of Jesus are magic tricks without a purpose is just sad and shows how little you know about Him. They are real and very important.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 25th, 2020 at 7:51:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
That you think the miracles of Jesus are magic tricks without a purpose is just sad and shows how little you know about Him. They are real and very important.

My point was Christians like to avoid talking about them because on the face of it the miracles in the NT are ridiculous in today's scientific world. People don't go around today walking on water, nor did they in the time of Jesus. If he had actually done these things it's more likely he would have been executed for being a sorcerer, rather than be applauded for being a god.
April 25th, 2020 at 8:15:30 PM permalink
FrGamble
He did those things because He is God.
April 25th, 2020 at 8:15:56 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
My point was Christians like to avoid talking about them because on the face of it the miracles in the NT are ridiculous in today's scientific world. People don't go around today walking on water, nor did they in the time of Jesus. If he had actually done these things it's more likely he would have been executed for being a sorcerer, rather than be applauded for being a god.

Yeah, why did Jesus have to prove himself to humans anyway? God is all powerful, he can force us to obey him - why all the smoke and mirrors?