2 votes (12.5%)
10 votes (62.5%)
1 vote (6.25%)

16 members have voted

April 10th, 2015 at 11:11:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I dunno. Everybody Loves Raymond was #1
and no spinoff. Frasier? MASH? Seinfeld?
Will 2 1/2 Men have one? How I Met Your
Mom?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 10th, 2015 at 1:00:51 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
IN addition to the vague ideas outlined above, here are some other notions for Big Bang spinoffs:

1) The Coopers. Sheldon and Amy get married and continue their bizarro world relationship elsewhere, maybe at a different university town with a better physics program. Lots of jokes about consummation, and the long-suffering and unsatisfied Amy (wait, wasn't that the theme of "Married With Children"??) This idea offers a golden chance for the new neighboring couple to outshine the stars.

2) Penny. No explanation needed, but of course she'd have to split up from Leonard first. We may finally learn her last name. Hopefully the same guest star will play her dad now and then.

3) Le Theorie de la Grand Explosion. Leonard moves to Switzerland to work on the LHC (after splitting up from Penny), but winds up working in France most of each day (hence the title; and also I can't approximate German as well as French). His life consists in striking a balance between making revolutionary discoveries and finding a girlfriend. By season 3, should we get that far, there could be a full Big Bang Theory reunion when Sheldon gets a Nobel Prize (which he wins as part of a team and has him go full Sheldon on the world; this ought to be a two-parter); if any of the actors won't show up, their character will be mourned on this ep.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 10th, 2015 at 1:07:53 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I don't think a spin off would go with one of the main characters.

Maybe Stuart the comic book store guy, Leslie Winkle, Barry Kripke, or even Captain Sweatpants.

Seeing Wil Wheaton's character of himself would be a hoot, also.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 10th, 2015 at 3:21:55 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Howard, actually an agent of the Mossad, was stealing nuclear secrets the whole time and only pretending to be a rube. After killing his mother because she found out and was going to turn him in, he now is a double agent working for the FBI exposing corrupt bankers, lawyers and deli owners.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 10th, 2015 at 3:44:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
I don't think a spin off would go with one of the main characters.

Maybe Stuart the comic book store guy, Leslie Winkle, Barry Kripke, or even Captain Sweatpants.

Have we even seen the guy in the Sweatpants?

Many spinoffs live and die by the supporting cast. "Frasier" may be the standout, as the clash between the brothers and their dad, plus the side story between Niles and Daphne, would have worked even absent "Cheers." There was also the cast "chemistry." All characters could, and did, play off each other in all possible combinations.
April 10th, 2015 at 4:17:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
I dunno. Everybody Loves Raymond was #1 and no spinoff. Frasier? MASH? Seinfeld? Will 2 1/2 Men have one? How I Met Your Mom?

Frasier was a spinoff from Cheers. Mash had AfterMASH. How I Met Your Dad? is being actively considered for next season.

" Everybody Loves Raymond" and"Seinfeld" were projects primarily owned by one or two men. Both Ray Romano and Jerry Seinfeld realized that they could probably make more money on syndication than to turn their comedy over to someone else to develop.

The Ring made $250m in 2002, and "The Ring #2" made $161 m in 2005. Johnny Galecki is starring in the the 3rd Ring movie.

"Friends" went out in 2004 as the top rated SITCOM with 22.8 million viewers, well above "Everybody Loves Raymond" at 17.3 millions.

It looks likely that TBBT will remain the #1 sitcom even at the end of it's 10 year run, so they just might try and pay all the actors to stay on the show. I think The Odd couple" will drop significantly once they stop airing it right after TBBT. I am surprised that a dark comedy like Mom is getting that level of viewership.

Total Viewers
16.56m The Big Bang Theory CBS
11.19m The Odd Couple CBS
10.19m Mom CBS
9.74m Modern Family ABC
8.79m Mike & Molly CBS
8.15m 2 Broke Girls CBS
7.71m The Middle ABC
7.36m Black-ish ABC
7.21m The Goldbergs ABC
6.91m Last Man Standing ABC
6.79m The McCarthys CBS
6.01m Fresh Off the Boat ABC
5.53m Undateable NBC
5.26m Cristela ABC
4.38m The Last Man on Earth FOX
3.36m One Big Happy NBC
3.82m Marry Me NBC
3.74m Brooklyn Nine-Nine (renewed) FOX
3.53m About a Boy NBC
2.81m New Girl (renewed) FOX
2.31m The Mindy Project FOX
1.89m Weird Loners FOX
April 10th, 2015 at 4:20:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The producers of Frasier knew Niles and
Daphne would get together eventually.
They held off all the way to season 7,
when most series are done. That's pretty
amazing. Frasier was the perfect sitcom,
it could have been on 12 years if the cast
hadn't been getting paid so much. Kelsey
Grammer was getting $1.6 mil per ep in
the final year, and I think Niles getting
a mil. What they get in residuals has
got to be epic.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 10th, 2015 at 4:44:43 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
How I Met Your Dad? is being actively considered for next season.

Any notion what it would be about?

They could easily tell the same "story" from "the other side" without any trouble. But wouldn't that be repetitive? Oh, I assume the characters on the mother's side would be different, but not in one respect: how they tell stories. That was the whole point of selling the original show: every time a character tells a story, they take up a looooooong time to do so.

Quote:
" Everybody Loves Raymond" and"Seinfeld" were projects primarily owned by one or two men.

There was a rather good show called "It's Like, You Know" by some of the people behind Seinfeld. The premise was an East Coast vs West Coast clash. I liked the eps I saw, but the lead was stiff and rarely funny. A.J. Lang and Jennifer Grey completely stole the show. The situations and dialogue were Sienfeld-like, without being a clone or copy of the earlier show. Unfortunately I think it lasted only one season.

Quote:
I am surprised that a dark comedy like Mom is getting that level of viewership.

I don't buy Alison Janney in that role. She does it well, but I don't buy it.
April 10th, 2015 at 6:45:56 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Nareed
Have we even seen the guy in the Sweatpants?.

Yes, he is often in the background in the comic book store, and I saw him at the bowling alley once.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 11th, 2015 at 2:29:43 PM permalink
ChesterDog
Threads: 0
Quote: Nareed
...There was a rather good show called "It's Like, You Know" by some of the people behind Seinfeld. The premise was an East Coast vs West Coast clash. I liked the eps I saw, but the lead was stiff and rarely funny. A.J. Lang and Jennifer Grey completely stole the show. The situations and dialogue were Sienfeld-like, without being a clone or copy of the earlier show. Unfortunately I think it lasted only one season...

I liked it and watched all the aired episodes. Unfortunately the show was killed off to help make room for "Who Wants to be a Millionaire," the first show in the so-called "reality" TV show genre.